Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Good point, Brent. I overlooked the size label.

Blare and A.C like this.
  2. Well, that makes sense. Punti size 5 is equivalent to metric size 57 (cm) on the chart I referred to. The "7" on that size label must refer to something else. The hat itself is a little rough around the edges, but with a minor amount of clean-up I think it would make a nice "casual wear" hat.

Blare, Steve1857 and A.C like this.
  3. ILB Frank

ILB Frank New in Town

New day, new question. (Because I'm new to felt hats.)
    Why couldn't (or shouldn't) I get a dress weight nutria (Sunrise 2.0 - 160g) hat body and have it made into a western hat (by Gannon)?
    I could pull the liner and maybe it would be light enough to wear most of the summer. Aside from the size of the crown and the brim, (but still the 2.0 should get a pretty good size western) why not?

deadlyhandsome likes this.

4. No reason. As long as the felt is large enough to give the the crown height and brim width you want. Understand that the felt will have fewer stiffeners and be a bit more “floppy” and less western firm. If the brim gets too wide the felt won’t be able to support it’s weight and it could droop, but I do t think that will happen with the new 160g felts. These new 160g hat bodies have quite a bit more stiffening agents in them than the 150g felts. I bet it will make a great western. I’ve sent Gannon three of the 160g Sunrise felts, but it will be a couple of months before I can report back on what kind of hat they make. I bet Michael could leave the brim near full thickness and thin down the crown and give you something close to vintage western felt. Then again, Michael has been able to do the similar magic with the 220g western felts so aside from the slight increase in price between the dress and western weight felts I don’t know if there’s really a point in using the 160g felt for a western. Let us know if you go through with it and how it turns out.

5. ILB Frank

ILB Frank New in Town

I was thinking/hoping that the lighter weight felt might be a little bit cooler for summer wear?
    Or is the 160g lighter because it's smaller?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Never thought for a minute it was US, which is why I originally surmised European.

Yet a punti 5 is a UK 7, so it still "makes sense" from that perspective. Though obviously it's not that by the measurements posted.

Zombie_61, A.C and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. My understanding is it has more to do with the size…more square sizes inches in the western with these felts. They do make lighter weight felts and those are also defined by their mass, but I’m not sure that these Sunrise nutria felts follow that standard. My nutria westerns are about as lightweight as western felt should be in my opinion. The brims are a bit heavier and the crowns are a bit thinner: perfection!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    ILB Frank likes this.

8. I knew you knew it wasn’t US. My response was for the OP.

Do you ever wear derbies? I can’t recall seeing you under one. It’s the one style of vintage hat that I really struggle with. I think I’d be more comfortable in one if I was thinner.

Rmccamey likes this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My understanding it is a standard measure. I buy felts 120gr, 140, 150, 160, 210gr. There is a progression of density/weight to each of the felts. I make a 'summer' weight felt out of the 120gr felts and it is a very light weight felt and needs to be stiffened to give it any structural integrity. So the 160gr will be somewhat lighter/less dense felt but I also suspect the diff between 160 & 210gr will not be noticeable by the wearer on a hot summer's day.

ILB Frank likes this.
  10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I picked up a really nice Penn-Craft during the winter, but have yet to wear it in public. I gotta get over that.

11. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

IMO, I think you should look for one of the wide brim western style bowlers, Brent. With your build, I think you need more crown height and a wider brim than the typical 5X2 derby.

x5uZmQ.jpg 1887FreemanBrothers.jpg

12. Agreed. Do you happen to know where one is in my size? :)
    I’ve long admired this equestrian Crofut & Knapp wide brim on Etsy:

44DB8C15-3EC3-458F-9638-115454FC62DA.jpeg

Unfortunately, it’s a size 7, but it has a 4 3/4” crown and a nice wide brim.

13. cozy d

cozy d Familiar Face

Anyone have recommendations for where I should go (I live in San Diego btw) to get a few vintage sweatbands replaced? These would be for vintage quality fedora/western type hats whose sweat has deteriorated to the point where I just have to either do this or be content with sometimes wearing little bits of old leather on my forehead after I take them off lol

Blare likes this.
  14. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

The only places I can think of that are reasonably local to you would be Baron in LA or Wellma, who sometimes takes refurb work. There are a few more options if you are willing to pay for shipping back and forth.

deadlyhandsome, cozy d and Blare like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Check with Garrahan Hats up in LA. A bit of a drive but check with them and they may be able to direct you to someone closer to you. Perhaps even a millinery shop selling/making ladies hats can do a sweat band.

deadlyhandsome, Blare and cozy d like this.

16. Or Mustang Mike’s in Orange, Ca.

https://www.mustangmikeshats.com/hat-renovation-services-mustang-mik

17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Wasn't there someplace in LA or SF run by a couple of ladies who were doing repair work? I can't remember the name of the shop, though.

cozy d and Blare like this.
  18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, I think if I remember correctly (not a safe bet) they bought Paul's Hats, but the group of females has split up and last I heard just 1 remaining member was running the shop.

19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Paul's hats, that's it. San Francisco.

20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

either they didn't get along or the shop could not generate enough income to support the 3 of them or they discovered making hats is a tough way to earn a living..

Blare, Frunobulax and deadlyhandsome like this.