Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Matchseller

Matchseller New in Town

Hello - first time poster! I have acquired a Dobbs of 5th Avenue Fedora. The hat band is finished at the rear rather than at the side as I am used to seeing. Any ideas on date? s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. Welcome!
    Back Bows had a couple of times when they were in vogue. Along with the proportions, I’d say yours is late 1950s. It’s helpful to see the interior too with the markings on the sweatband, the liner, size tags (if still there), and the factory tags under the sweatband. The more we have to go on the better.

Bill Hughes, Blare, Zombie_61 and 2 others like this.
  3. Matchseller

Matchseller New in Town

Hello - first time poster! I have acquired a Dobbs of 5th Avenue Fedora. The hat band is finished at the rear rather than at the side as I am used to seeing. Any ideas on date? View attachment 362908 View attachment 362909

4. Matchseller

Matchseller New in Town

From what I have learnt about stamps and labels that fits. Was hoping it was more late 40s

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If you are interested check out the thread in The Lounge on how to repair moth nibbles.

Blare likes this.
  6. Here’s what I think is the best source for dating Dobbs hats:
    https://www.thehattedprofessor.com/datedobbspart2.html

I’ve been wrong before, and I can’t see all the tells, but I’m sticking to late 1950s or even early 1960s.

Blare likes this.
  7. enofile

enofile New in Town

Sorry, This is not the place to ask this question, but I know you are a veteran of the Fedora Lounge. I want to post a question about best hats to wear in the rain, I live in Seattle, but I don't know how to post on this expansive thread. Thanks for any help.

deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

This is as good a place as any. While I'm of the opinion any decent fur felt is good in the rain, try looking through this thread.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/portland-rain.105033/

Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  9. enofile

enofile New in Town

Thank you. That is helpful! PG

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Check out Eclipse Hat Shop at Pike's Place, Sharon will fix you up.

Blare and Frunobulax like this.
  11. enofile

enofile New in Town

Sharon is great, but right now she's tied up with the tourist trade. That's a whole different hat spectrum. Last time we spoke, Sharon told me to come back in November.

Blare likes this.
  12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

There's tourists in Seattle? Since they cancelled cruise ships from docking here our downtown is a ghost town. Possibly for a long time if the US passes the law to allow ships to bypass Vancouver

Blare likes this.
  13. enofile

enofile New in Town

Cruise ships arrive every day. I see them from my apartment. Some of them are huge. Thus, the market is nuts, and Sharon is busy. Good for her! Vancouver must be different. We hope to drive up for a weekend in a couple of weeks. The entrance requirements are fairly straightforward. I want the chance to explore British Columbia, since we moved to Seattle two weeks before the pandemic shut down.

Blare likes this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

We have zero cruise ships as our federal gov't has banned them from docking during the 'pandemic'. In the summer months there would be multiple cruise ships docked daily. It is (or was) a major income generator for shops and the service industry not to mention the chandleries supplying the ships. We hope the order eventually reopens for us and we can begin again to visit Seattle....and points south.

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.

15. The other threads recommended will help you decide. First, you need to know what you actually want before you start looking:
    A fedora for the rain?
    A practical all-purpose dedicated rain hat?
    Is style important?
    Do you need it to be breathable?
    A wide brim for more rain protection?
    A moderate brim to handle the wind better?
    Is it going to be paired with business attire?
    Etc.

A problem correctly defined is half solved. In addition to the normal options, consider a Filson Tin-Cloth hat, but only if the rumpled, worn, and outdoorsy look appeals to you. As another out of the box option, consider a used (not necessarily vintage) western. You can trim the brim down to your preferred width and shape the crown how you like and you can have a sturdy foul weather hat that looks good on the cheap. You can also just use any well-made fur felt hat and take the time to care from it properly when it gets wet and allow it to dry correctly…you might need at least two so you’ll have one to wear while the other dries.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Brent

Zombie_61, Blare and Steve1857 like this.
  16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I wore my 100% beaver western weight wide brim out in last week's downpour. It was embarrassing as I went into a business, asked a question at the desk and when I leaned over to peruse the item being shown a cascade of water from my hat poured onto the lady's desk. The water had pooled in the bash and some had accumulated on the brim........but damned if my head wasn't still dry. I am wearing it today and it is none the worse for wear.....all I did was set it so it could dry without risk of deformation and voila, I would never know it was soaked a week ago. Yes, If i wore for hours in a continuous rain no doubt it would soak through but getting it very wet certainly was not an issue.

17. ILB Frank

ILB Frank New in Town

Hilarious! Reminds me of "It's a Wonderful Life" when George Bailey shows up for his honeymoon and looks down at Ernie's hand, pouring a bash full of water into it... Good stuff. #hatlife

Zombie_61, belfastboy and Blare like this.
  18. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

#RealLife

Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. TheGarf

TheGarf New in Town

HELP!

Anyone know what brand of cap this is?

Thanks

Attached Files: