Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. carranty

carranty One of the Regulars

Wind Trolley Source...

I've got a few hats that I'd like to put a wind trolley onto, there's a great tutorial of how to do so here on the lounge (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?27690-Installing-Wind-Cords) but I'm having trouble sourcing the cord itself. The tutorial recommends white stretchlite beading cord that you dye yourself, but I'm a little concerned the dye I use might stain the hat during a downpour. Can anyone recommend a suitable type of cord that is available in a variety of colours as standard?

2. I buy old western felt hats off ebay & trim the brims down, sometimes changing the ribbon. They're a dime a dozen & I don't care how beat up they get.

3. hatsRme

hatsRme

Now THAT'S a great idea, Tom.

4. RJR

RJR

Good idea re the old westerns.

5. alanfgag

alanfgag

If you don't have your heart set on a craft project, contact Optimo Hats in Chicago. Though I haven't checked recently, it used to possible to buy wind trolleys from them at a nominal cost.

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Not hat-related, but...

Since about a week, my PMs are not forwarded to my email address anymore and only show up here in my forum inbox. Anyone else have this problem lately?

I checked (and updated) my general settings, they're still the same. And no, the PMs don't land in my email spam folder either.
    Thought I'd ask here before contacting a bartender.

7. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Several of us have noticed we're not receiving e-mails, either, so it's being looked into.

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Thanks, Brad. :)

9. alanfgag

alanfgag

It was fixed for a bit then it got unfixed again.

10. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Ha! Learning something new every day about this colorful language. Fixed, unfixed, busted, unbusted... lol

11. viclip

viclip Practically Family

Except for the stickies, the board page on my computer shows no posts for Sept. 17th & 18th as well as for today the 19th.
    Did I screw up a setting or are others so affected too?

12. DTQ

DTQ New in Town

Hi again everyone. I am thinking of buying a Stetson Leather Ivy cap from The Village Hat shop or another online retailer. I have seen ads here for Village Hat Shop and I am wondering if they are actually a supporter and what reputation they have? I'd like to purchase from a FL supporter if possible.

13. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Hey DTQ, not sure if Village is a supporter of the lounge, however, we here in my household have ordered a few hats from the Village Hat shop and they took care of business very professionally, as a matter of fact, when making the order for one hat purchased, they did not have exactly what we wanted to buy from them, they called around obtained it for us...so I would have to say they went beyond "the call of duty" for us.

There are a few hat shops aside from the custom hatters that are connected to the Lounger here.....you can check them all out, see what products that they offer. Delmonico is one, Benchcraft is another and then you have more specific hat sellers such as Panama Bob, who obviously deals in panama hats. I am sure I am leaving a few more off my post here but perhaps someone else will chime in and name a few more for you.

Good luck in finding exactly what you are looking for, and stick around....enjoy.

14. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Same here, but is this not something that happened a while back as well?

15. DTQ

DTQ New in Town

Thanks LVM, I appreciate the info! :)

16. GregNYC

GregNYC One Too Many

Keeping the ears warm with fedoras in winter?

I live in NYC. On cold, windy days, my ears get the coldest. How do you keep the ears warm wearing a fedora? (My hat hobby began just this recent summer.) In past years, I'd wear a winter jacket w/hood (Carhartt, Canada Goose, U.S. Navy, etc.). And a baseball cap underneath. Toasty warm, but not a Lounge look!

With a fedora, I imagine earmuffs that are sort of low profile. Any other ideas? If I had to wear a hood and couldn't wear a fedora, I'd like to try a newsboy or flat cap and give the baseball caps a break!

Thanks to all! I never fail to learn something valuable here!

--Greg

17. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

Greg I'm a fan of the Woolrich field coat on those super cold days. The big collar, when turned up reaches the bottom of your hat. Of course it may not be "dressy" enough for certain types of offices.

503Fieldcoat.jpg

18. dh66

dh66

+1 on the field coat. The "Pennsylvania tuxedo" gets the job done when temps dip below freezing.

19. alanfgag

alanfgag

I am happy with 180s.

20. :arated: