Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

WJB

New in Town
I am new to vintage hats. I discovered this forum while researching a fedora that I recently purchase at an antique store in Virginia. I've always liked hats, but this is the first vintage hat I've purchased--if it is really vintage. I bought it because I liked it, but I'd like to determine whether it is vintage and, if so, learn a little more about it. Searching online did not provide a lot of information.

It was labeled as a Vintage Raleigh Fedora. Based on my search of the “Moveo et Proficio” phrase on the logo printed on the satin lining, the phrase belongs to Knox, but the logo design is not the same as I see pictured for the Knox logo. In addition to the different design, the logo has “New York” and ”Twenty” printed in two lines at the bottom where the word “Knox” is on the Knox logo.

As you can see from the pictures, it has a black, wide, ribbed ribbon. It is very dark brown in color. The brim is about two inches in width. The sweat band has “Raleigh-Haberdasher Washington” on one side and “Twenty” on the other. There is also a gold size tag, 7 1/8. Am I correct that the “Twenty” probably means it originally sold for $20? (I paid $19. :) )

The hat is in good condition. The feather is smaller than it appears in the online Knox pictures I found. It may have slipped down behind the bow, but I can’t slide it up easily and am afraid of ruining it. The sweat band appears to be finished leather, though it doesn’t smell like leather. The sweatband shows no wear, but the black welt between it and the hat does have some spots where the black is worn off.

Anything you all can tell me about it will be welcome information. I am also interested in suggestions for getting the feather back into place, as to what it might actually be worth, and its possible age.

Thank you for any comments you may have.

hat pict 1 cropped.jpg
Hat pict 2 resized.jpg
hat pict 1 cropped.jpg
Hat pict 2 resized.jpg
Hat pict 3 resized.jpg
Hat pict 6 resized.jpg
Hat pict 5 resized.jpg

Jerry

New in Town
FB_IMG_1480179771970.jpg

Hi guys. Can someone help me to find the brand of this hat. It has little lining around the brim and is tan/beige

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1480664382999.jpg
    FB_IMG_1480664382999.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 64
  • FB_IMG_1464972248635.jpg
    FB_IMG_1464972248635.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 61772

Hi guys. Can someone help me to find the brand of this hat. It has little lining around the brim and is tan/beige
it looks like a factory crease so I would guess a Lamont maybe in taupe with the brim snapped up
looks like a Lamont bow and proportions

tough to be completely sure from these pics

Screen_Shot_2016_12_04_at_3_48_41_PM.png

Last edited:

miket5r

A-List Customer
Hello all

question to hat size.
Normaly i have a hat size 58 (7 1/4)
But i would to buy a vintage hat in size 61 (7 5/8). What can i do to make the hat smaller that he fits for me?

thanks for help and answers

mike

If it is truly a nice vintage hat, there are plenty of larger noggin folks that would kill for it. Take some good photos of the hat, including the liner and sweat logos and put it out to your fellow loungers in the classified section. These folks have such a hard time finding larger sizes, it would be a shame not to throw a bone their way.

RJR

If it is truly a nice vintage hat, there are plenty of larger noggin folks that would kill for it. Take some good photos of the hat, including the liner and sweat logos and put it out to your fellow loungers in the classified section. These folks have such a hard time finding larger sizes, it would be a shame not to throw a bone their way.
+1

Yeah, what Red said.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.