Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AUCTION #54: Lee - Warren - Size 7 3/8 - C0000228979 SOLD

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
END DATE: Thursday, July 3, at 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -4) according to Lounge Server.

AUCTION #54: Lee - Warren - Size 7 3/8 - C0000228979

HAT BARCODE: C0000228979
BRAND: Lee
STYLE: Warren
SIZE: 7 3/8
CONDITION: Pristine
MOTH NIBBLES?: No
BRIM WIDTH: 2 1/2"

C0000228979_1.jpg

C0000228979_2.jpg

C0000228979_3.jpg

C0000228979_4.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John or anyone else who knows, what is the quality of this Lee hat as compared to the Adam hats? This looks like a very nice hat. Thanks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I much prefer lees. I don't know if they're higher quality, but there's something about their felt I like better.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Trust the Expert... AKA Dinerman

Dinerman said:
I much prefer lees. I don't know if they're higher quality, but there's something about their felt I like better.

Dinerman knows his stuff, and I agree that the felt is very fine. The hats feel more substantial than the Adams, even though the felt is always very light-weight.

I can also add that Hirsch's began selling Lee hats after Stetson stopped supplying their store. I have always assumed that Lee's would have been a bit higher quality than the Adams, if they were intended to replace the Stetsons.

The styling of the Lees seems to be more rural, and the owner of Hirsch called them "farmers hats", so I think they must have been considered an East Coast version of the cowboy hat... This also explains why the Lee's have wider brims.

Finally, other threads have mentioned that Lee also produced the Marathon line of hats for JC Penny's, which might help those who have had experience with Marathon brand hats.

Magus

Practically Family
Lee made a very fine hat. Also one stands up well in the elements. I lost mine on a open-aired buss in Hungary a few months back

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We carried Lee hats back in the 1950's . I believe they were made in Danbury CT . A good hat , they were meant to be a middle of the road hat to sell to the working class. Most of them sold for 7.95 to 15.00. OFAS has them from time to time. I would definately bid on one from Johnnys' auction if you never had a vintage hat before.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, I'm convinced. Thank you, gentlemen, for your input. I am really waiting for a tan or light brown hat, but I think this is probably the nicest Lee John has to offer in my size. Therefore......

I'm in for $160.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I have one of each . . .

johnnyphi said:
The Lee hats feel more substantial than the Adams, even though the felt is always very light-weight.

I picked up a Lee Corral a few months back from JohnnyPhi, and more recently an Adam Executive . . . Style wise they are virtually the same hat . . . and I like the Adam . . . a nice hat . . .

But if I could, I would pick up a Lee Corral in every color available . . . it is simply a terrific hat. Ranks up there with my Stetson and Dobbs . . .

Tangoman

New in Town
Been having an ongoing battle with myself between this and the Adam. Already have an Adam exec in grey and love it so another in fawn is tempting but the colour of this Lee has won the day. I'll go $190.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran