Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian 1930ies Hats

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Here is a link to many pictures of Australian life of the 30ies featuring many hats.

In terms of lids and their appropriate social presentation, this is my favotite:

3073075210_e56dc4752d.jpg
[/IMG]

North Bondi Shark Scare Union :)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Thanks for that Dreispitz.

Unfortunately, Australian vintage fedoras rarely turn up for sale today, even in our thrift shops. I guess the population was small and the hats well worn.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:

Unfortunately, Australian vintage fedoras rarely turn up for sale today, even in our thrift shops. I guess the population was small and the hats well worn.

As they are rare here in Germany. Very hard to find 1930ies hats.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Of course, the lifesavers have iconic status in Australia - this incredible volunteer army in funny caps who risk their lives to save hundreds of people every year.

Here's their modern equivalents - still in funny caps:

Discover_Bondi.jpg
020043Hero-SLSA-Harvie-Allison01.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:

Something I have never been able to fathom ET. Maybe the sun is harsher and destroys even vintage Akubras.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
cookie said:
Something I have never been able to fathom ET. Maybe the sun is harsher and destroys even vintage Akubras.

I suspect the harsh climate does have something to do with it Cookie. We sweat a lot into our Akubras and that doesn't make for well preserved hats. We were also a very small population compared to, say, the USA, so numbers of hats produced will be far smaller.

Still, every photo you see of the 30's shows men in some very nice hats. There were lots of them around back then - but not many survive. The oldest Aussie hat I've come across is from the 50's and it sits permanently on my office hat stand next to my hat of the day.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
NOS

Hi, first post from me. So hello everyone.

I, too, have never understood the lack of vintage hats in Australia. I think there may be something in the climate playing a part, but I wonder if it may be partly cultural. After all, outside the cities hats are still worn in Australia a lot, but they are worn until they fall apart.

Its pretty common to go to a function in the country, or the races, and find men dressed up in suits, with elastic-sided boots of course, looking quite smart but wearing mud and engine oil splattered Akubras with holes in the crown. That's the way it's done and I wonder if its always been that way. We just wear them out until they fall to pieces.

On a semi-related point, I have wondered if any of the Australian loungers had had any luck finding new old stock, especially in smaller country towns?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
A warm welcome to the Lounge Selvaggio.

There may well be something in what you say re us wearing our hats till they turn to dust on our heads. It's also true that we didn't make hats in the volume of the US makers.

As for NOS - I've never heard of any. But if any did turn up, it would create a flurry in the hat collectors world. What would you be prepared to pay for a 1930's Aussie fedora in mint condition? Hell, I'd break the piggy bank for that!

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
mayserwegener said:
There is a kid wearing your hat!

3544662810_35eccb7cbe_o.jpg

Fort Street schoolboys being shown rabbit fur felt hat-making, 1927 / Sam Hood
i like the kid wearing the hat blank that hasn't been blocked yet, what a cut up ! Of course hes still keeping his real hat for when he gets back to class or camp or where ever.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
oh hi Ephriam Tutt , thanks for your encouragement when i got my first hat (with the bow in back)
2gvpnpd.jpg

i now wear it with pride.
sorry for :eek:fftopic:

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
That's such a fantastic photo. I am actually looking at part of the original site for the Fort Street school from my window here as I type. It's now the HQ for the National Trust.

Devo boy doesn't look too pleased to be having his photo taken with what looks like a giant mushroom on his head.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Selvaggio said:
On a semi-related point, I have wondered if any of the Australian loungers had had any luck finding new old stock, especially in smaller country towns?

Welcome Selvaggio...I have bought NOS Akubras on eBay....like Cattleman. I sold one to Carter. But I have not seen any around Sydney.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Thanks Cookie. What got me thinking about this was that my father-in-law picked up a Squatter in Superfine (which is a grade of felt I don't think they make anymore) for a song from a fusty old menswear shop in Tumbarumba.

Nice hat actually, and he gave it to me because it end up being too small for him. Am in the process of bashing out of its original shape - bit too John Howard as it was, if you know what I mean?

He said it was pretty clear that this had been sitting on the top shelf, gathering dust for some years. Made me wonder what gems were lurking in the rag traders of deep rural NSW.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Ephraim Tutt said:

I've personally never had too much trouble finding ye olde Aussie fedoras but I've only ever found 2 that fit my size 60 head!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
elvisroe said:
I've personally never had too much trouble finding ye olde Aussie fedoras but I've only ever found 2 that fit my size 60 head!

Well Boil my Blue Suede Shoes, Elvis!! Am I to understand that you have stumbled upon a vintage Aussie fedora El Dorado??!! It's commonly agreed that they are rare indeed - but you have contrasting evidence.

So...deliver us from this Heartbreak Hotel! Spill the beans on where the treasure lies!

And we'll love you tender forever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points