Authentic Montecristi Handmade Hats www.domingocarranza.com

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lucia Agnese Sciarra, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Lucia Agnese Sciarra

Lucia Agnese Sciarra New in Town

IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0093.JPG [​IMG]
    This is one of my latest findings.
    One of which I am particularly proud. www.domingocarranza.com
    I met this artisan in the MoMA, in new york
    In 2017 during the exhibition Items: Is fashion modern?
    After some questions I ordered a spectacular classic fedora.
    I received it perfectly packed in a wooden box
    The shipping was free and by DHL, with which the passage through customs was without problems.
    I recommend it absolutely.

2. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

I wish them success. They have some very nice blocks.

Too pricey for me, though. That trip to Spain and back adds a lot of unnecessary expense, IMHO.

3. Lucia Agnese Sciarra

The truth is that I have found the supreme quality, something that is difficult to find. Normally I find good hats that intermediaries move at prices over a thousand dollars, being hats relatively common in origin. What I like about this artisan is that he allows me to have access to pieces that hardly reach the market.
    You can buy those special hats to these intermediaries that obviously have their profit.
    I have seen hats for example from Brend Black that almost double the price of these excellent Montecristi.
    Anyway I imagine that it is a very difficult adventure to try to reach the American market directly, but that is precisely what I think is a great added value. I also wish him many successes and I hope he get a piece of the cake because its quality is well worth it. IMHO.

Dm101 likes this.
  4. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Lucia,
    Welcome to the Lounge, M'dear!

Your thoughts about high quality are well-taken. However, since you found these folks at MOMA in NYC, I am assuming you live there, in the City? I had a similar conversation with my NYC-dwelling daughter last week. I don't feel one can live in NYC and have a true perspective of the economies of the rest of the world. NYC is on its own economy. (How's your rent?)

For the best VALUE in Panama Hats online, I still vote for PanamaHatsDirect.com. Among others, I have two of their "Special Reserve" lids, and they are the real DEAL.

5. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, one of my rules is to not buy a product that is more well travelled than I

6. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Great information, someone went to a lot of trouble to open that direct market. If I work my way up to Ecuador maybe I will stop in to visit Sr Carranza.

Daniel

Lucia Agnese Sciarra likes this.
  7. Luminor

Luminor New in Town

I absolutely agree with what you said.

These hats look nice, but some of them go as high as $15k. I believe in paying for great quality, but $15K?!

8. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

I'd wager that the top shelf hats from PHD are indistinguishable from the higher end of these, at a small fraction of the price.

9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Nice, but I’m not sure what their niche will be in an already crowded market. Panama Hats Direct have the best value for money, Art Fawcett at VS has the best blocked and all-around styled hats for the price, and Brent Black and Optimo have those with deep pockets covered. I also personally refuse to spend a lot on a Panama hat since I tend to use them hard and don’t expect them to last indefinitely like I do with fine felt hats. When you get much north of $400 your market is pretty small and there are some well-established hatters to compete with.

Most of us here are working class stiffs with a passion for hats. My passion personally doesn’t extend to $15,000.00 for one hat! I wish them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Panama hat lover

Panama hat lover New in Town

I don´t understand this very well. How it is that, the highest range hat from www.domingocarranza.com that costs 15.000 dollars is too expensive. But if you compare it with the most expensive hat from bread black Brend Black that costs 25000 dollars. what´s up guys?? It is 10.000 dollars more expensive and you even pay the shipping. I agree I am also a worker, I do not have the economic income that someone living in New York has. But I think it's a good deal to buy an authentic panama hat woven by Mr. Carranza an artisan recognized and with a good career. Since 250 dollars more even if also the international shipping is included. Even going through Spain I think the price is very competitive. I personally have a couple of their hats and it is worth not only for the quality, for the service but also for how they have sent my hats in a personalized wooden box delivered by DHL in less than 72 hours and with a pass through customs. managed by professionals. I believe that the price is even cheap, taking into account that many large stores in America today sell Chinese paper hats at luxury prices.
    I support this type of producers of wonderful things that deserve to live from their work, I prefer to spend my money on a worker who creates art rather than a paper hat produced by children in the province of Quindao..
    IMHO IMG_5873.JPG

11. Lucia Agnese Sciarra

I subscribe each of your words. I think you've hit the nail on the head. I never understood why www.domingocarranza.com is very expensive, being the artisan and the merchants who bring to America his hats much more expensive, are the best deal. I only have one thing clear, between buying the weaver or buying the mediator. I stay with going directly to the origin of the work of art. That in this specific case is even much cheaper as you have very well pointed out. Thank you very much. Can I see more pics?

Panama hat lover likes this.
  12. Panama hat lover

thank you, sweetness I like your Avatar, nice pic
    Thank you, sweetness. I like your Avatar, nice pic

13. Panama hat lover

14. Panama hat lover

IMG_5871.JPG

15. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Greetings, Lover, and welcome to the Lounge.

Agreed! Your opening line appears to be right on. I wasn't comparing to Mr. Black's offerings here, just Mr. Dalzell's at PanamaHatsDirect.com (PHD). Black's success at even higher prices show that there are many people with lots of disposable income, and he's free to accommodate them with all the quality and bells and whistles (and marketing) possible. "Higher price implies higher quality" (Marketing; 1.01)

PHD's pricing structure takes advantage of being located at the source, and that they work directly with the weavers, too. MUCH less overhead, lower prices. And they are real works of art, not paper.

And the wooden boxes are also available as an option at PHD, if that floats your boat!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    belfastboy and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

To most of us, anything over a few hundred dollars for even a custom fur felt is shelling out a significant amount.

$10,000, $15,000, $25,000 for a straw hat? I'm weird and crazy, not irrational. For that kind of money, it better get me to work and back and have nice radio.

But best of luck and more power to those who have that kind of jack.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

17. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

And in any of these cases, the weaver gets how much? $20?

deadlyhandsome and Frunobulax like this.
  18. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

What a fun discussion and with two new members to boot. Hopefully we’ll see more of them across all threads.

We can definitely see these are high end hats with a nice marketing angle and box. For those with the cash to shell out, they look like a fine option. The Panama Hats Direct site looks great as well, and both sites have enough information to make an informed buying decision.

Great stuff all around, I look forward to someone else acquiring one of these museum pieces to make a comparison to other hats. Maybe my 50s Stetson Select Milan would be a good star for a control group?

All the best,
    Daniel

19. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Maybe 20 years ago, but no weaver today will sell you a hat of the quality pictured in this thread for $20.

You're talking about a grade 4 Cuenca that takes about 2 days to finish. And, generally speaking, a person who deals directly with the weaver pays more to the weaver than a larger, established hat company would.

I see so-called grade 8 Stetson panama hats selling for over $100 that are closer to an actual grade 5 or 6 that can be bought at retail in Cuenca for around $50-$60.

hatsRme likes this.
  20. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

This is a grade 12 Cuenca hat body, hand picked by me in Cuenca. I would grade it 10, which means 20 x 20 weaves per inch, or 400 wpsi. Sellers often pad their grading, imo. But this is higher weave count and better quality than some Montecristi I've seen.

After paying iva taxes, credit card fees and customs, i sold these for around $200. No way that covers my travel and time to Cuenca from Oregon unless i sell hundreds of them. Then you pay a local hatter to finish the hat for you.

I'm betting the actual weaver of these bodies, or campanas, was paid about $50. I would have paid double that without blinking if I had a direct business relationship with the weaver.

Sorry, can't get anything to upload right now so no pics until later....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019