Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviator Jacket and 1st Post Greetings

lci419

Familiar Face
Greetings all,

This is my first post here and have studied and accumulated a small collection of items from the 30's and 40's. I am particularly lured by men's fashion from the 30's, especially workwear. I've been reading through threads on here for some time and have finally decided to de-lurk and seek some advice.

Anyway...for years I have considered getting an A-2 jacket from Eastman, but have always balked somewhat at the cost. I know they are great for what they are, but other priorities have somewhat restrained me. Also, I have come to the conclusion that an A-2 jacket would almost be too much of a cliche for my style and have started looking at other alternatives. I am attracted to Magnoli's "Hughes" and "Highway" jackets...but again, the cost is a bit out of my range. I have found this jacket:

aviatorjacket.jpg

It sells for $240 + $30 shipping, is located in Montreal, Canada from a company named Motor Racing Gear. They claim it is made of leather, and I'm sure it's probably made in Asia somewhere, but what does everyone think? Has anyone personally seen one of these or had experience with the company? I know it's not going to be the quality of an Aero, Magnoli, or Eastman jacket...but for the price, it might just fit the ticket for me. Thoughts anyone?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Welcome!

Dear lci,
Welcome! You'll find a LOT of very knowledgeable people here...but, if you've been lurking a while, you already know that. The self-deprecating humor revealed in your avatar suggests you'll get along quite well!

I have absolutely NO knowledge about leather jackets....so you'll have to wait for some of the herd that do to get an answer to your question....but, to the untrained eye--and with the caveats you've already stated--it looks very interesting.

Could you give more details of the source?

Thanks, and welcome!

"Skeet"

I've never heard of the company..but that jacket does have some nice '30s features. A style that you don't come across everyday. Button front...narrow sleeves...'30s cuffs...early aviator type collar. Definately looks like leather. Price is right. Why not try it!!
HD

Papa M

A-List Customer
Personally I'd hang on until I could afford an Eastman or Aero - both of which can be relied upon for tremendous quality. Without you actually being able to physically see and feel the jacket in your picture I feel that you are taking too much risk and may end up disappointed.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
jacket opinion

Papa M said:
Personally I'd hang on until I could afford an Eastman or Aero - both of which can be relied upon for tremendous quality. Without you actually being able to physically see and feel the jacket in your picture I feel that you are taking too much risk and may end up disappointed.
If they have agood return policy I would think it wouldn't be too much trouble to order it and go from there,then if he isn't satisfied it can be returned.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking that with a style that classic at that price range, there has to be some kind of catch.

The economics of the clothes business won't let you make a design that's this far from a generic, mass-appeal style and then sell it for what Wilsons gets for a bloopy pieced-lambskin mall jacket. You'd never make volume.

So I'm thinking this is either some sort of faux leather or a real low-quality knockoff. I hope like crazy I'm wrong.

Maltravers

New in Town

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have no experience with this jacket or maker.
In general, I recommend waiting till you can get something top quality.
In the long run, it will be less expensive and make you happier.

I am concerned that the leather doesn't look very nice (though the
buttons sure do) and that the waist cinches look to be velcro, an
odd, anachronistic feature.

If you take a jacket in a size widely available in the Golden Era,
I recommend that you seriously consider a vintage jacket instead.
With a bit of luck you can get quality at an affordable price.
Might take some time, though.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I'm with the others: Either save your pennies for an Aero (or something similar), or keep your eye out for something vintage.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Why is the answer to every question Aero or Eastman?

Sure they make fine stuff but they're certainly not the end all and be all of leather jackets.:rolleyes:

I say go for it! Take a chance - look at their return policy and see if you can return if dissatisfied. I'm always on the look out for alternatives, especially high value alternatives.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
You could take a chance -- but you'll be taking a chance. At $240 (USD?) + $30 shipping + duty tax (not sure of current rate but at least $25), you're already getting close to $300. Be sure to get the return policy in writing, and realize you likely will have to pay shipping both ways if you return the jacket.

Eastman and Aero are mentioned because of their reputations and the experience of forum members with those manufacturers. Aero is also mentioned when discussing certain jacket styles because of the various vintage styles the company offers. If the jacket in question had been a mc jacket, I imagine Langlitz, Vanson, etc., would be suggested.

Mac

442RCT

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
Why is the answer to every question Aero or Eastman?

Sure they make fine stuff but they're certainly not the end all and be all of leather jackets.:rolleyes:

lol I own A-2 jackets made by both Aero, Eastman and Real McCoy, and agree with you on that point. There are a lot of good makers out there. If I were to be limited to just a single A-2 jacket, it'd be a Sefton. [huh]

RLM

Familiar Face
Welcome lci, the jacket you're asking about looks somewhat similar to the US Authentic "Barnstormer" jacket. The US-A is considerabley more, but their quality is known to be quite good. Maybe not up to Aero or ELC standards, but still very good. I've got one of their A-2s and am pleased with it. Anyway, I can't comment on the jacket or seller you're inquiring about, but for approx $300, that would be a bit of a gamble for me unless the return policy is good.

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/barnstormer.aspx

Maltravers

New in Town
The return policy on Ebay says it can be returned within one week of receiving it, and buyer pays for return shipping. So I'd have to cough up some cash even if I returned it. I'm still pretty tempted to go for it though, mostly because it's so hard to get a jacket like this.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
What I find nice about this, is it's cutom made to your size and returnable if not satisfied. Also, if you read the feedback comments other buyers of his leather jackets wrote, they are all very satisfied for the money spent. All the way down on the last page of feedbacks, there is one for the jacket in question. The buyer is completely satisfied.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24