Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avirex B-9...was there really such a thing?

Larry5337

New in Town
Since the "B-9" offered by USWINGS as an Avirex repro has a combination of features from the B-3, D-1 & the Irvin, it looks like a good utility sheepskin flight jacket. BUT, did it really exist and when?

~larry

Larry5337

New in Town
I kind of suspected that. I was able to recently contact a friend of mine who collects the high end replicas of all the flight jackets and he said the same thing. Ashame though...looks like both a good jacket and something that probably should have been but wasn't.

Larry

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
B-9

Sorry, you're not right. The B-9 was an olive drab gabardine flight jacket or parka with a mouton-lined hood and down-filled quilted satin lining. It was standardised for wear as a suit with the A-8 trousers on 22nd July 1943. The zipper (usually a Conmar) was concealed by a buttoned windflap. Fifty thousand of the B-9/a-8 combinations were procured.
Source: Sweeting, G. (1984) Combat Flying Clothing. Smithsonian Institution.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely true Jack,...

ShanghaiJack said:
AND..... Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Avirex!

:cool2:

After much investigating and shopping around for quality A2s, I learned a lot about the other end of the spectrum too. Most of the stuff they've made over the years is garbage. :rage: However I did recently stumble upon an elegant lambskin number from them from 1978 that actually looks like a genuine A2. I was shocked! It doesn't have all those "details" that Avirex is notorious for putting into their jackets.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Avirex of today - I wouldn't touch. But, I do have an Avirex A-2 that I bought used in 1984 that is still a solid jacket after twenty years of heavy wear. The leather shows some wear and tear. It was never babied but there are no tears, no holes in the well worn lining and not a single loose stitch. Even the cuffs and waisband are still tight. Many people think it's actually a much older vintage jacket. If you find an older Avirex, you might want to look it over and give it some consideration. If you're wanting a strictly new jacket, I would look elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats