Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-25 RIDE PICS - FIRST BATCH

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

Well, my Aero A-2 wasn't ready for this excursion, so I opted to take the trusty "bomber jacket" I've worn since I lived in England with all the 8th Air Force patches on it. If you can't go accurate, go sentimental. A crush cap and some khakis and I was on the tarmac with a beautiful B-25J. Everyone thought I was the pilot! People kept wanting to get pictures of me with the plane. I complied of course, but wasn't expecting that kind of attention. My "close enough" look was more than enough for these folks it seems.

Anyway, the ride was as thrilling as riding in B-17 Fuddy Duddy. I will say the B-25 is more immediate and claustrophobic and LOUD. I was able to get a front seat for the ride in the forward compartment. Unlike my companions, I kept the safety headphones off to "hear what they heard" back in the day. The engines were so loud, I started singing "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain" at the top of my lungs and I couldn't hear MYSELF! No one else even knew I was singing.

The pilot went low over Lake Allatoona and that was quite the thrill. After that, I got some time in the nose. In some ways cooler than the B-17, in other ways not as cool. They're different animals these two planes and I am glad to say I have flown in them both. Warbird rides for the appreciative are moving experiences.

After the flight, I was the only passenger they let sit in the pilot's seat for a while. I guess they could tell I was a true enthusiast.

Anyway, I have posted some pics below. You can see the rest of them at www.frenchbrosreviews.com/b25

Oh, there will be more pictures soon, including some of me! This is just the first go. And if anyone wants higher resolution copies, I'll send them along - Just PM me. This B-25 will be at the Angels Over Atlanta air show this weekend.

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

shamus

Suspended
Where were you?

Because I as in Pasadena today and saw a B-25 with a red and white tail... It had to be yours!

Wild Root

Gone Home
You didn't count the number of engines there friend... that was the B-24 Liberator known as "Witch Craft" that I was talking about in another thread!

B-24= four engines.

B-25= two engines. (Medium Bomber) ;)

=WR=

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
SO FORTUNATE !

Hey MDF

That looks to have been quite an experience from your photos - especially being in the nose gunners position. The B17 must have been even better. You are extremely fortunate living in the states and having opportunities like that to actually fly in those great old planes. Here in the UK, they won't even let you touch the damn things usually. The one time I went to Duxford, they were allowing people to look inside 'Sally B', the only airworthy B17 here, at a silly price of course. As for ever actually flying in it - forget it ! :eusa_doh:

So. relish the opportunities you have there to fly in WW2 warbirds ! If I ever get to visit the US ( dependant on winning the lotterylol ) then that would be one of the first things I'd want to do.

Story

I'll Lock Up
3-thumbup2.gif

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

'That's some catch, that Catch-22,' he observed.

'It's the best there is,' Doc Daneeka agreed.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For those interested in Southern Cal. May 4-10 at the Long Beach airport there will be a B-17, B-24 and B-25. B-17 & B-24 rides are $425 and the B- 25 is $325 all tax deductable. May 10-12 they'll be in Lancaster 800-568-8924 for reservations. - www.CFDN.com. Walk thus of the planes cost $10. WASPs- Women Air Force Service Pilots will be at Long Beach.

Rinterstate

New in Town
If anyone gets a chance to fly in a B17 I would highly recommend it.
I flew in the Yankee Lady from the Yankee Air Museum. It flew into
our small municiple airport for the weekend last year. All I can say is it's
awesome! I got to sit in the bombardiers position on take off, then
we got to move around to all the other positions once airbourne,except
for the tailgunners position.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have an old friend who ferried B-24/25's from the factory to the coast for deployment overseas during the war.

He said they HATED to fly these planes when it was icey, as the props were even with the windows of the cockpit. When you activated the de-icing boots on the leading edge of the props, the ice would be thrown through the windows if the buildup was heavy enough. He said he got an ear full on more than one occasion, and a broken window to boot.:rolleyes:

Regards! michaelson

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
If I remember correctly, they had a show here in Nebraska with either B-17's or B-24's that you could go look at and fly in if you had the cash (which I didn't.) And dumb me didn't go and take advantage of this opportunity. Sigh...

Those pics are GREAT, especially the one from the nose. Can't wait to see more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points