Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3/A-3 Flight Suit Question

Warbaby

One Too Many
My brother has an original B-3 jacket and matching A-3 pants that he wants me to sell for him on eBay. I have no idea what they are worth in terms of what sort of starting price or reserve I should put on them (or if I should offer them first to the FL crew).

Both items are in very good condition. The pants are complete with the suspenders. He also has the leather helmet and what is probably a rare item, a matching sheepskin pistol holster. Oh - and I think he also has a pair of sheepskin gauntlet mittens.

I'll post some photos whenever he sends them to me (he's down in San Francisco) - in the meantime, your opinions would be deeply appreciated.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Photos of B-3/A-2 Jacket and Trousers

My brother sent me some photos of his B-3/A-2 outfit. Any info on them will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the jacket:

FSjacketC1.jpg

FSjacketC2.jpg

FSjacket_label.jpg

The cold weather hood (I've never seen one of these before):

FShoodC1.jpg

FShoodC2.jpg

The trousers:

FStrousC.jpg

The helmet:

FShelmetC.jpg

The holster and 1917 Colt service revolver:

FSholsterC.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice set. The B3 is Roughwear's first known contract for B3s and is a 1941 contract. This one is predominantly made of veg tanned, hand dyed shearling, but the existence of darker shearling, which is most likely spray dyed suggests it is a late example of this contract, perhaps early 1942. It is hard to value it as the size is important and more detailed photos would be needed to ascertain the condition. These jackets are prone to damage if worn today. The flying trousers are later and date from 1943 and had they been by Roughwear and from the same contract as the jacket would be worth more.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Many thanks for the info! The jacket is, I think, about a 42 - I wear a 40 and it's a little big on me. Hard to tell what size the trousers are, but they fit my brother who's 6' tall and of average build, though they're a bit short.

The jacket is in pretty good condition - the usual scuffing but no rips. Leather seems reasonably soft and supple. The trousers have a rip in one leg, but I think it's repairable. The hood is in great condition for its age, and has seen very little wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff