Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 Help

talos

New in Town
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I found this place while searching for B-3's for a while.

I had a black on black B-3 many years ago and stupidly it was given away overseas. I've been on the hunt now to find the same one. I remember it had the same inner label as an Avirex B-3, but apparently after some research it turns out Avirex sold their name to Japan or something and now work under the name of Cockpit USA. I went to their showroom in Manhattan yesterday and looked at their B-3s and they felt so light. I remember mine was much heavier, and the leather was much better. The one I had reminded me A LOT of this one: http://www.acnestudios.com/shop/men/outerwear/ian-shearling-black.html

The leather on this has a matte type look to it just like mine did, while Cockpit's leather just looks cheaper, like a cheap baseball glove. I'm trying to find the exact same one as Acne Studios has, but obviously not for that much money. I can work around $1000 for it. I've looked all over the net, for similar B-3's from so many different companies, but nothing comes close to Acne Studios. The shearling sheep fur inside should be just as thick as well. It's a shame Avirex isn't the same anymore. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!! :)

talos

New in Town
oh ho hoo, schott looks good! I didn't take them seriously before you mentioned the link. Thanks

when you mention "real" B3, what does that really mean? It only comes in one color fashion since it's an original style? I'll go to Schott in Manhattan most likely tomorrow to check out the B3. I really want that nice heavy weight and good leather. Shaking my head at what happened to Avirex..

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hi Talos,

What zhz means by "real B3" is the that the black one you referenced and the Schott one aren't even close! Real B3's are brown or russet (rusty brown), no hand warmer pockets, the straps on the collar are not thin sewn together garment leather, they're made from a single piece of harness leather, and on and on and on. If you like the black one, or the Schott one then go for it, neither are correct military styles. It would take a lot more than one reply to go over all the details that are correct for an authentic WWII Air Force B3, but there is a ton of info on this forum and on the Vintage Leather Jackets forum.

Happy reading, B

talos

New in Town
amazing! I can't believe I stumbled onto such a forum where I can actually find authentic versions. As sweet as it is, I'm not looking for exactly a true vintage as the colors are something I'm not used to (browns, greens) I'm more into the black clothing (that just sounds gothic lol)

Are there any more companies that make really great B-3s? Also, I really liked the D-1 on flightjacket.com, but I don't know if it's as warm as the B3. Also, my jaw literally dropped when I saw the A-5 Sheepskin Trousers. If I ever plan to go to Antarctica, I'm definitely purchasing those trousers!! Amazing find! Thanks :)

talos

New in Town
yes, B-7! too bad I'm 5'8" and this ends up looking like a blanket on me.

Another great site! any other sites? Possibly that have black leather/black sheep B-3? :D

IXL

One Too Many
I have a black Schott B-3. It's the warmest garment I've ever owned and the quality is high. Since I'm not planning to use the collar straps as tow lines, I'm not real concerned with them: they are plenty up to the job of securing the massive collar. I like the two pockets for keeping hands warm, much better than an "authentic" map-pocket-only style, as I rarely (okay, never) need to store a map on the front of a cold-weather garment.
It is warm, feels good, and gets plenty of compliments when worn. The sizing is generous. Also, Vanson makes their own version, which also won't satisfy serious strict-military-specs folks, but is probably a darned good coat.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
If you have to have a Jacket in the $1000 dollar margin, Try a used Eastman, or Just double down and go for broke.

I used to think black or Brown was A-ok, But nothing like a *Redskin* B-3 Jacket.

Never really seen firsthand what the Eastman Redskin examples are like, but I hear good things.

It will be mine, oh yes...it will be mine.

talos

New in Town
oh you guys are going a little hardcore on me lol i wasn't prepared to go down vintage lane just yet! lol

They look great, but I don't know...I'm just not used to those colors. I pretty much wear dark colors and figured the all black B-3 would suite.

What do you guys think of the leather on that heavily over priced Acne Studios copy of the B-3? I could have sworn I had a jacket with a similar leather.

Here's the link to that again: http://www.acnestudios.com/shop/men/outerwear/ian-shearling-black.html

I'm going to check out Schott's store tomorrow, but from the look at photos, Schotts' leather is different from this one. I dig the leather that Acne did as it brings back the memory of my B-3 from years back (from which I'm pretty sure was an Avirex, but the Avirex's I see on ebay don't look like it either. So I'm stumped..)

ronbo

Familiar Face
I just picked up a really nice pre-owned (like new) Aero Leather (2 panel back early design) B-3 for $700 and I swear by them. It reminds me of the Real McCoy I once owned but sold (stupid stupid). Eastman are also excellent but a bit more pricey. I am a stickler for originality so I wouldn't buy from any but the above three. Good Luck -Ronbo

Edward

Bartender
I have a black Schott B-3. It's the warmest garment I've ever owned and the quality is high. Since I'm not planning to use the collar straps as tow lines, I'm not real concerned with them: they are plenty up to the job of securing the massive collar. I like the two pockets for keeping hands warm, much better than an "authentic" map-pocket-only style, as I rarely (okay, never) need to store a map on the front of a cold-weather garment.
It is warm, feels good, and gets plenty of compliments when worn. The sizing is generous. Also, Vanson makes their own version, which also won't satisfy serious strict-military-specs folks, but is probably a darned good coat.

Yes, if you really want a black one, the Schott is grand. It deviates from the3 original design in more ways than just the colour, so many round here won't consider it, but as a civilian jacket and worn in a civilian context, it's perfectly practical. I'd suggest maybe waiting for a used deal to come up on the right size - they don't seem to hold their used value to the same extent as Aero et cetera (at least in my experience). I almost went for one of the Schotts myself, for a black jacket (already have "correct" Irvin and B3), but then Aero released the Thunder Bay (sort of like a civilianised B2, rather than b3, but does a similar job...). I'd still buy the Schott as well if the right used deal came up.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would definitely hang on for an Aero or something similar in your size. The price for the Acne is eye watering and I can't see how it's justified, and the Schott a slightly unsatisfying mix of B-3 and B-6, though a much better price. I'd been given to trying to find something with a little bit more interest about it. Edward suggested the Thunder Bay, which you could have in black/black and would be hella warm.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Talos,

I was once like you, I had an "Irvin" style sheepskin bomber and a lambskin "A-2'sh" jacket and I was as happy as can be. Then I found these forums and those jackets are long gone. They have been replaced with Aero's and Good Wear's. I'm still as happy as can be, but my bank account is many thousands of dollars lighter! If a black B3 is what you want, go for it and be happy, then leave this place and never look back, your bank account will thank you for it. If however, you think you might be interested in the origins of these designs and the history behind them, stick around and read on, there is a wealth of info hear, and even more over at the VLJ, but be forewarned it can become an addiction.
As for the question about the B3 vs D1. The fleece on a D1 is about half as thick as that of a B3, by original specs(, some modern manufactures will vary), so the B3 is much warmer. I live in Canada and my D1 sees a lot more use than my B3. By the time it's actually cold enough to wear a B3 around here I prefer a parka.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk