Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 Jacket as a Daily Wear

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

After much searching and deliberation, I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first B-3. I just sold my Schott 740N on ebay as it wasn't getting the job done in the biting cold I get up here in the northeast living on ocean's edge.

The only thing I can't seem to find is photos of people wearing a B-3 for everyday life. It's all vintage shots of pilots and soldiers etc. My question is, do any of you wear your B-3's outside the line of duty? Or is this jacket perhaps a bit too costumey for everyday wear.

Thanks!

-Nick

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I often wear mine in all weathers. I was just a winter poser in my Eastman at onetime but now really it is just a jacket, a nice warm jacket. Don't worry about wearing it otherwise you may end up with it for sale under the dreaded 'Mint condition', 'Like new', Hardly worn' breed of jackets you see on eBay. Mine is bald on most of the wear points so now is probably only worth half an original resale value but at least I have had fun wearing it.

Stand By

One Too Many
I couldn't ride in today as it was too icy for my steel-studded tires on the mountain bike, so I relented and rode the cattle cars (subway) and wore my ELC RW B-3 - with my B-2 cap no less. Costumey? I don't think so. Hell, I've been on the subway and I watched one guy get on and he was wearing a business suit and carrying a leather briefcase and he strode confidently right past me and up the carriage - and his "suit" was made of bold black and white striped pyjama cotton material! With shoes! So no, I don't worry about what others think of me in my B-3. I couldn't care less.
My B-3 is an old 2006 model, so after a lot of wear, the fleece has packed down nicely so it's not quite as warm as it used to be and, having a "boxy" cut in the body, I find my ELC C-3 really comes in handy underneath when it gets really cold and draughty. But the B3 is a great jacket and there's much to admire about it.
I'll try and dig out a few photos of mine for you.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Some photos of my ELC RW B-3 that I took last Summer for the Top 3 jacket thread that I always meant to include (my Aero ANJ-3 and Buzz L2-A rounding out the others) but never did. Here it is with the ELC C-3 vest beneath it.
I wore it today with just with a t-shirt and wool sweater beneath it and it was just right on the subway - not too warm at all. Just right.

B3#1.jpg
B3#2.jpg
B3#3.jpg

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice one Stand By, wore my D-1 out the other day with the C-3 vest underneath (also with my MA-1)..toasty!!!

Buzz L-2A is getting plenty of wear in between.....lovely tailored fit :)

devilish

A-List Customer
I don't have a B-3 but do have an Irvin that is getting it's fair share of wear out on the moors. When I can afford it an ANJ-4 will see daily duty too. If you feel comfortable in it and don't care, others won't either. Honestly who gives a damn anyway?

mr_lits

A-List Customer
I love my Eastman Perry B3 and it sees a lot of use but I have plenty of wear season up here in Alaska. Looks great with chinos and jeans.... what's not to like?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ok thats all well and good, but I am a hopeless moron!

Find me something to wear with my B-3 That is in contrast to the MILITARY look I seem to naturally gravitate to..I put on the B-3 and all I have to accompany this look with is Canadian Forces Combat Gear or US issue Wool Pants from the 50s, Everything else is too much of a Juxtaposition. I notice the B-3 was originally cut high for waist high pants, but some new age B-3s are longer because pants are lower...It defeats the purpose IMO, so I struggle to find something *vintage* looking. Either my Belly button sticks out when I reach for the Sky or I have a Flannel skirt Dangling out from under the Waist of my B-3.
Rock band T-shirts dont really work with the B-3, some Red Flannel will work, so Ok..I LOVE THIS JACKET but it goes against the grain of modern Trends in fashion, and I am left in this shadowy umbra between worlds.

this has been a real problem since 90% percent of my clothes are Military!!! and I have a B-3 Jacket that Looks Fantastic! I mean WOW..but only have One Change of clothes that do the trick!!! those however are wearing thin and I refrain from living in them as my Daily wearers due to the fact I could not replace them equally. you know how it is once you find that one look!

I have tried lots of different Jeans with the B-3 but it makes me look like such a Chicken hawk! you know, Big midrange and broad bulk with Scrawny looking denim Pipes, the only thing I have to balance the lower segment with is Cargo pants stuffed with Gloves and Scarf...also military issue. I end up looking like Im ready to spit hot lead! and have struggled immensely to unify the b-3 with a complimenting wardrobe of Strictly Civilian wear, and I Just cant do it!!! Its Impossible I tell you!!!

I find that I appear WAY to Loud and Fearsome for a town of only 4,000 inhabitants.

the only trick to diminishing the Combat Look is by wearing Chuck taylors..that seems to tone down the Army look, but you try wearing Converse shoes in January!!! Augh!

I ask my Brother before I step out the door, he will tell me its usually too *outlandish*

My sentiment is That the Irvin is a lot more open to Scruffy rugged looks than the B-3...which is Demanding and you need a haircut you could set your watch to.

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
Love the B-3, love my ELC B-3 but hardly ever wear it. An awesome look though. Too costume-ish, IMO, yes but if you are comfortable wearing it why not. I am wearing my N-3B and N-1 Deck jackets more. More comfortable, military but less in your face WW2.

IXL

One Too Many
I wear my B3 often and it just plain works. It is quite warm and I wear it for my daily heart-healthy walks when the temps are low and the winds are howling, winds we get in Oklahoma often. I did have to buy some short-cuff mittens to wear with it, as the standard ones in my collection all would not fit easily over the sheep skin cuffs. The short ones just butt up nicely and still make a wind seal.
I've even experienced a couple of well-dressed gentlemen commenting on the good looks of my coat. I really don't think that most people today are even aware of the war-time bomber tie-in. There's a lot of idiots out there!

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
I've never owned a repro B-3 but I used to wear my originals regularly, but only the ones I picked up for cheap and were already beat up, like the ones that used to go for around $200 on ebay 10 years ago. Personally, I don't like layering and never wear anything "pullover". A t-shirt and a jacket and I'm happy. I have found myself a little self-conscious wearing a big new Irvin repro sometimes though because, let's face it, that much hide on a man is only a few clean stitches away from caveman attire, not to mention ostentatious. That being said I'm on the lookout for a sized 44 redskin if anyone has one in "like new, never worn..." blah x 3 condition.

avique

One of the Regulars
I got my wife a B3 for Christmas a few years back and it's been her constant companion. However I do have to admit that I always feel a little self conscious when I where mine if there isn't snow on the ground. The B3 does make a bold statement but if you personality/personal style are up for it I say wear it proudly.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
When the temp goes below 30F, I wear my Aero ANJ-4. Still breaking it in, so I wear it whenever I won't overheat in it. It was a major investment for me, so it's not going to be hung up and only worn when I want to "look pretty." I'd rather wear it out than see it gather dust.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Probably. I've not found the ANJ-4 too warm. I was actually surprised at how flexible it was, though I did get caught out one day when I set out for the afternoon in it only to discover the mercury had hit double digits...

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I’m finding it hard to justify even having a sheepskin anymore. I had a Cirrus B3 replica for years and Irvin repros, and now have an Eastman Irvin which I can hardly wear at all in the constant driving rain of the last two winters. Let alone it being so warm for the season. I knew a bloke in the seventies who had an original Irvin that he wore all the time even in summer. But he did look like a bit of a prat to my eyes dressed like that on a warm day...

thor

One Too Many
Ok thats all well and good, but I am a hopeless moron!

Find me something to wear with my B-3 That is in contrast to the MILITARY look I seem to naturally gravitate to..I put on the B-3 and all I have to accompany this look with is Canadian Forces Combat Gear or US issue Wool Pants from the 50s, Everything else is too much of a Juxtaposition. I notice the B-3 was originally cut high for waist high pants, but some new age B-3s are longer because pants are lower...It defeats the purpose IMO, so I struggle to find something *vintage* looking. Either my Belly button sticks out when I reach for the Sky or I have a Flannel skirt Dangling out from under the Waist of my B-3.
Rock band T-shirts dont really work with the B-3, some Red Flannel will work, so Ok..I LOVE THIS JACKET but it goes against the grain of modern Trends in fashion, and I am left in this shadowy umbra between worlds.

this has been a real problem since 90% percent of my clothes are Military!!! and I have a B-3 Jacket that Looks Fantastic! I mean WOW..but only have One Change of clothes that do the trick!!! those however are wearing thin and I refrain from living in them as my Daily wearers due to the fact I could not replace them equally. you know how it is once you find that one look!

I have tried lots of different Jeans with the B-3 but it makes me look like such a Chicken hawk! you know, Big midrange and broad bulk with Scrawny looking denim Pipes, the only thing I have to balance the lower segment with is Cargo pants stuffed with Gloves and Scarf...also military issue. I end up looking like Im ready to spit hot lead! and have struggled immensely to unify the b-3 with a complimenting wardrobe of Strictly Civilian wear, and I Just cant do it!!! Its Impossible I tell you!!!

I find that I appear WAY to Loud and Fearsome for a town of only 4,000 inhabitants.

the only trick to diminishing the Combat Look is by wearing Chuck taylors..that seems to tone down the Army look, but you try wearing Converse shoes in January!!! Augh!

I ask my Brother before I step out the door, he will tell me its usually too *outlandish*

My sentiment is That the Irvin is a lot more open to Scruffy rugged looks than the B-3...which is Demanding and you need a haircut you could set your watch to.
DD, try a pair of LL Bean flannel-lined jeans. They sit on your natural waistline (they are not low-cut hipster pants) and are toasty warm! Also, if you have thin legs, that extra layer of flannel material makes the jeans look a bit more robust then regular jeans.

heron163

One of the Regulars
DD, try a pair of LL Bean flannel-lined jeans. They sit on your natural waistline (they are not low-cut hipster pants) and are toasty warm! Also, if you have thin legs, that extra layer of flannel material makes the jeans look a bit more robust then regular jeans.

if its cold enough to wear a B-3, I am likely wearing flannel lined!

I have a Lost Worlds B-3 that is about 15 years old. I wore it almost every day the first few Boston winters. I never got anything but positive comments on it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I find the B3 as a daily wearer fine. Sheepskin appears to be more comfortable and less sweaty than synthetic fleeces. The B3 length being short to accommodate the flying trousers underneath, does not ruck up when driving a car as a longer jacket may, as my ANJ4 did slightly.
As to the jackets looks, to an outsider it is definitely a weird piece with its asymmetrical look of unfinished zip tape on one side and rather dubious look of the single pocket. The shoulder tabs. Personally, on a non ranked jacket these look a bit odd flapping around in the breeze, (anyone else think this?). As one who is not into reenactment I have sewn mine down for a more normal look, the collar straps I have not sewn but always wear them folded back as I have never in the 15 years I have had this jacket(Eastman Rough Wear) I have never done them up and do appear rather long and cumbersome.
Like other wearers I don't like layering with this and only wear a T shirt underneath where as in service it may have been worn over an A2 or B10.
Overall the B3 is a great jacket by most makers, just not as easy on the eye as a B6 or ANJ4 to the non believers(non militaria enthusiasts:D)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ