B-3 or ANJ-4

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sloan1874, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Makers aside, if you were going to go for a B-3 or an ANJ-4, which one would you go for and why? Both are heavy duty pieces of kit, but in terms of looks and utilitarian use, what are people's preference?

2. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

I love the ANJ-4. One of my fave jackets full stop. I think it's pretty functional with the pockets, and it has a lot more detail. The b3 is lovely too, but given a choice, I would go the ANJ-4 every time. I've often thought about getting one made with the lighter D1 fleece to get more wear out of it. I'm just in the process of knocking a few staple, must gave jackets, then I'm very keen on a shearling number.

3. mr_lits

mr_lits A-List Customer

B3 for style, completely unmatched and iconic. ANJ-4 for utilitarian use, leather reinforced in just the right places and cuffs are cleaner cut (get less dirty). Both are two of my all time favorite jackets.

4. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

B-3!
    Style icon that screams 'Bombing nazis!'
    What's not to like?

10991309_10153098769715747_589223728835804312_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  5. Otter

Otter One Too Many

I never found the B3 cuffs comfortable, the seams always rubbed my wrists. If I was buying another then ANJ-4. Now the problem is that there were three slightly differing versions !

6. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

Iv had both..sold the b3 to buy the anj4 & never regretted it...mine has snaps on the pockets...love it

7. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

That's the other thing. For whatever reason I've never liked the wool cuffs and waist on the bombers. I think the ANJ-4 is just a much more practical jacket, and it just looks so cool.....

8. Plumbline

Plumbline One Too Many

ANJ-4 every time .....

1. Pockets
    2. Design ( cuffs, armpits, zip, pockets, bottom hem, collar are all superior on the ANJ-4)
    3. Wearabillity ( especially in more flexible sheepskins like the Fenland skins used in the older Aero's and Eastmans )

the B3 has a more classic look ( more down to it's use in movies and PR material ) ... the ANJ-4 is a better designed jacket IMHO.

9. repo

repo Familiar Face

I've just bought an ANJ-4 which was on the sale page and it feels like a very comfortable jacket. I wasn't sure about the design at first but I'm glad I bought it. I can see myself wearing it a lot in the winter. It feels substantial but not too bulky. Of course, that doesn't stop me wanting a B-3 ...

10. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

The cuff point is a good one, the lack of exposed sheepskin would keep it cleaner, longer. For those who have owned one or more Anj-4s, which of the HH finishes works best? Also, relative warmth to an Irvin? I'm also interested in the two zip sizes, I imagine they make a difference in terms of wearing while sitting down, or am I wrong?

Big J, that is a monumental pic!

11. Plumbline

Plumbline One Too Many

I've only ever had 4 horsehide finishes on ANJ-4's ... regular CXL, Aniline, semi- Aniline and Oilpull. Of those the first 3 worked well, the Aero Oilpull had a sort of sueded finish and wasn't great though it did fit in with the "aged" finish of the jacket.

It's easily as warm as the B3 and Irvin ( but more forgiving to wear due to the non sheepskin armpit construction, leather cuff and leather bottom seam). Warmth is not an issue ;)

I've had the Eastman full length zip, Eastman zip with access flap, Aero 3/4 zip with buttons ... all were fine the Aero with bottom buttons was a bit more fidly and I'm not the hugest of button fans. If I were to express a preference it would be a plain one length zip ( it sits quite short anyway and I don't often have it zipped while sitting TBH.

HTH

12. repo

repo Familiar Face

13. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

ANJ4 every time, beware though the hh cuffs rub on the back of the hand and can be a drag. One variant has sheep cuffs only trimmed in horse. If you ask nicely Aero would probably make one.

14. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I have always been partial to the ANJ-4 and would no doubt have one in my collection if I lived in Chicago rather than Dallas. ;)

15. tonypaj

tonypaj Practically Family

I live in the Alps region. Had a B-3 from Aero, it was just way too warm for here. Pretty to look at, though. But moving wearing it, well, not for me. Gave it to my uncle who lives in Finland. The other problem was that we tend to get rain, sleet, snow, ice, cold, all the same day, temperature going all over the place. B-3 tends to deal with cold, only.

These days I just layer with a big wool overcoat, it covers the legs, deals with pretty much anything. The inner layer can be a an A-1 or A-2 or a jeans jacket, anything. I do have an Irvin, for about the 5 days a year I need it.

No idea about ANJ-4, never seen one in my life.

If I ever ordered one or the other, I'd request it as thin as possible.

Edit: I guess I did not answer the OP, so an uneducated opinion, out of those two I'd take now an ANJ-4 with as thin sheepskin as possible. And I reckon I'll stay away from both :)

16. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I think it depends on the build of the wearer.
    For you Sloan - and guys like you - ANJ-4.
    For guys with less lender or "in shape" profiles, the B-3 probably works better.
    I like both, but if I were to be able to justify the cost and having a jacket I'd wear maybe 4 days a year, I'd get the ANJ-4.

17. Gromulus

Gromulus Practically Family

I concur (which is why I chose the ANJ-4 several years ago). If a more supple/flexible jacket is required, goatskin can also be used instead of HH for the facings. Lost Worlds and FlightJackets use goat instead of horse.

18. devilish

devilish A-List Customer

If you already own an Irvin repro (and I'm pretty sure you do) I'd definitely go with the ANJ-4. The Irvin is a much nicer jacket than the B-3 in my opinion. So if you want an American sheepskin jacket go with the AN. The fact that it's also less common (relatively, no sheepskin flying jacket is that abundant) and won't be mistaken for an Irvin where you live either is another plus. The only thing I might change is a slightly darker shade of fleece, if available.

19. Tefouane

Tefouane A-List Customer

Hi repo. Are you satisfied with your Anj-4 ? Unfortunately too big for me...

20. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

You callin' me fat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.