Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 Repair

officerbob38

New in Town
Hello

I got a B-3 bomber jacket I picked up. Its a great jacket and I want to save it. I am wanting to know if anyone knows of someone who can do this. I am very particular about the repair as I want it done right! I am having a hard time finding someone that I think can do it. Ive tried US wings but they don't do cuffs. I am sorta stuck and need some help. I want to get a original zipper and cuffs off a donor jacket.

DSC04506.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

DSC04498.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

:D

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello officerBob38;

Very nice acquisition. I had Shauli Dover from U.S. Authentic (NYC) completely rebuild a thoroughly trashed G-1 jacket; that was about 11 yrs. ago. Came out great and for not too much money.

Two of the resident experts (aswatland and John Lever)hopefully will chime in on this, both live across the pond.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Regards, coffee

Last edited:

officerbob38

New in Town
Hey coffee,

Thank you for your comment. Yeah hopefully they can give me some help. This is a great forum think Ill take a seat, hah.

Regards, Officerbob.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Officerbob,

Welcome. Nice set. It should make a great display. I used a local cobbler for my sheepskin repairs. The garment was a pair of pants similiar to what you have pictured. The repair was good but used for display only.
Good luck with it and glad you scored a nice set.
JZ

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is rare to get an original B-3 without issues these days and one that is robust enough to wear. Originally the jacket would have had a Talon or Conmar zipper. The former can be bought from Vintage Productions in the USA. They sell M42 NOS Talon zips sourced from MASH Japan. Replacing the cuffs would require the sleeves to be turned inside out and the seam opened before the new cuffs from reclaimed sheepskin are attached by machine. I have done this with success before. However I seriously doubt if your jacket will stand up to wear. It would be great for display. I understand Aero in Scotland would do the work for you if you feel it is worth the expense. Local cobblers may be able to repair the jacket, but they are unlikely to have the knowledge and experience to perform a first rate restoration. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

officerbob38

New in Town
Dear,

aswatland, Thanks for the help with finding a zipper that gets me close. One thing down the hardest part is like you said. Well I have treated the jacket with Pecard. Its a pretty good stuff and I have already did two treatments. It opens up the leather so it can breathe so its not dry. I've been able to turn the sleeves inside out and back out again. I didn't get any problems during this. Does Aero have a website? I might end up doing it if its worth it. As long as my jacket comes back haha. Thank you so much aswatland.

Phantomfixer, I appreciate the response and time. The pant's I have are great as the zipper isn't froze on them. I wish I knew the logo on the boot. There is some paint on them from there logo. But, never stood the test of time unfortunately.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Stuart at www.lostworldsinc.com does some restoration. I saw it listed on his website, but am not sure if this is a project he would tackle. Maybe if you contacted him, he could put you in touch with someone? I would imagine the circle of people who could do this type of restoration is small and tight.

officerbob38

New in Town
Well I have been in contact with aero clothing. Right now I am waiting to see if they take the work. If not its back to square one. I may have to find another jacket or something. I just hope I can get it done though. Thanks to all that have helped. I will post some pic;s once it gets done =)

officerbob38

New in Town
I will keep everyone posted when it happens. I am like you and everyone else. I want to see this jacket back to use. I want to wear it just two times. Aero though has a problem on the email end. I keep sending one but it drops it all the time. I am going to make a call out there...eh. If not I will send another email until I get someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot