Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 jacket, which manufacturer?

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
I nailed down what I want: a b-3 jacket in dual tone, and I would like to get some opinions from current owners about which company to order from. So far, I've got three repro companies listed: lostworlds, real mccoys, aero leathers. I skipped the cheap repro because there seem to be a gap in quality when you go half the price of these 3 names. Now, it seems that lostworlds claims to be the best, and local (i live in the US). The real mccoys look gorgeous and they seem to be using authentic zippers. Price is high and shipping will be crazy. Aero offers free shipping and the photos on their website is just impossible to figure out. I am not sure if the aero and reals mccoys have a 3 or 5 piece back. Also, the strap ends on the aero seem to be cut too square. The metal parts on the lostworlds don't look too good either. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Edit: I found some photos of the aero leather jacket: the back is made of 5 pieces. That's a big turn off compared to the lostwords model which uses only 3 pieces. Can someone tell me if the real mccoys is a 3 or 5 panel back? Thanks!

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Thanks for the response.

I didn't know about this company. What is the price of their B3. It turns out that real mccoys are very expensive even with the AU $ conversion. And aero won't make a 3 panel back which is a big turn-off for me.

Edit: it seems that the company Eastman Clothing Leather doesn't ship to the USA? Do they have a reseller in the States? Thanks!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I think this is correct.......

Here you go....

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastmanleather/topic/topic-15248-1.stm

B-3RW17756.jpg

B-3rhh.jpg

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Link not for USA customers

This company may apparently not ship to the USA directly. They have a website I found just for the States. But the Website in the US doesn't have a shopping cart? What's up with that?

kojax

Practically Family
hello eastman leather clothing has a nice book....the golden book of authentic vintage flight apparel.... company is hard to deal with open certain times of the week.....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The US distributor for all Eastman Leather products is History Preservation Associates of New Jersey.
In the United States, they are the only way (that I know of) to get newly made Eastman leather jackets. I own one of the Eastman A-2 jackets.
DO please call History Preservation directly. Order the Big Book they offer. It's a catalog, costs $12, but is very well illustrated with point-for-point comparisons: new vs orginals, and should be in your collection anyway.
There is no direct "order online" feature at the History Preservation site. You have to call, fax or mail your order. They also don't offer email correspondence at all. They will want very specific measurements as the garments are made to order.
Be prepared to be SUPREMELY patient. Wait time is often 4 or more months, though they seem to always quote 4 - 6 weeks.
The Eastman product is excellent. History Preservations service level is probably below what most of us expect from a firm these days.

If I can help you further, drop a note in here.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
You can't go wrong with either RMNZ or Eastman. Here is the link to RMNZ
http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cat02.html

I have their B-6 and did own one of their D-1s and they are some of the finest jackets I have ever seen.

Eastman B-3 is excellent and have seen it first hand. There are used ones on ebay which are less than ordering a new one.

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Sizing

Hi,

I just got my Eastman B3 monotone delivered yesterday. I ordered in the same size as I would have ordered a lighter jacket as the sales person told me that their sizes take into account the extra space created by the inside heavy wool. However, I am not sure if it fits the way it is supposed to. It a rough wear model and it feels a bit short, but when I look at some pics on the historical preservation site, it is pretty close to what it looks like on me. A few questions: Where does it have to stop below navel? I see some photos on the Web of B-3 that have various lengths some longer than others. How about the sleeves? Do they have to be straight or can they be folded? Does the jacket has to feel snug or lose? If someone can paste a photo that would be great. Thanks!

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Pure luck

I called after reading that thread and they had my "size" in stock. Although, I am not quite sure that it is my size. They are mostly out of stock now, so if I decide to change it (according to your comments guys) then it will be a 2 month wait :(

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
ShanghaiJack was right

I had to re-order a B3 one size above. The smaller size usually my size when I buy Aero didn't feet me very well. May I prefer a bit more confortable than a tight fit and a size above looks better. I also ended up switching for the dual tone. It's really not that reddish and looks beautiful.

Two questions:

Is the sizing on Eastman particular only for the B3 (vs. A2) or is this a Eastman thing to make jackets fit that tight? I am curious that if I order an Eastman A2 I would need to order a size above or not.

What are the flaps on the shoulders of the B3? They bend very weirdly and I was wondering if they are really needed as they look very strange popping up that way. There seems no easy way to remove them. I folded them inside so they look better. How do you guys deal with this?

Thanks!

Better Duck

New in Town
ShanghaiJack said:
I own an Eastman B-3, it is gorgeous!
I'd recommend ordering one size larger than
your normal "jacket-size". My B-3 can be seen here:

http://www.eaglesquadrons.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=32&pos=6

Hi there, shanghai jack,
I took a look at you ELC B3, which is great, but I couldn't help but notice your ELC Star A2 as well. What happened to it or what did you do to it, to get it so "wheathered"? When you buy a new one, they are an even very dark seal brown.
I'd already love to have an ELC Star, but the way yours looks, makes it all the the more appealing!

Peter

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The whole Eagle Squadron website is really interesting and has examples of original flight gear as well as repros. The original B3 on the site is an early two panel back style, which was veg tanned and probably hand dyed.

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
B3 Jacket

I've had my B-3 from U.S. Authentic for six months now, and with colder Colorado weather, it's now just getting broken it. I wear a 46 or 44 long. This is a 46. Stiff at first but now fitting well. I like the contrasting leather. Check out my posts at Mountain Pilot for the images.

Frolich Wienachten (Merrry Christmas).

John Lever

One Too Many
All Real McCoys prices include shipping. Their B3 is among the best as is the Eastman. Lost Worlds is again superb, but some believe the pocket to be too small and the wear in period too long [years]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy