Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad experience with Aero Leather

Status
Not open for further replies.

rippsnorter

New in Town
Since I was basically called a troll in another thread for saying anything bad about Aero, here's my experience. I believe people should have the ability to make an informed judgement about a company they are going to do business with, and should see the bad as well as the good. I originally purchased from Aero based solely on all the many good threads and posts here, and because I could not find anything bad about them. I wish I would have found anyone with the courage to say they had any problems with them.

This is only my experience. I cannot speak for anyone else. There are a lot of good threads about great customer service with them. I strongly encourage people to make up their own mind, and not to discount them simply from my experience or someone elses good experience.

Here's the short version. I ordered a jacket from Mark Moye in June/July of 2011. After nearly a year I barely managed to get my money back after Mark's fiasco. I started over with Aero Leather in Scotland in April of 2012, and finally, around the first of August, 2013, I received my coats. During this period I was forgotten multiple times, and among other things, Aero accidentally charged my card and took 5 months to refund it, amid multiple reminders and requests at my end. The last coat still is not right, but I am too tired of dealing with it all to pursue it further, since they are usable.

This is an excerpt from one of the final emails I sent to Ken at Aero detailing most of my history of problems.

In June and July of 2011 I ordered a jacket from Mark Moye at AeroleatherUSA, your distributor. After nearly a year of excuses and lies, he finally closed his shop down, supposedly without ever contacting you with my order. It took me another 3 to 4 months before I finally got my money back from the credit card company.

Aero leather Scotland offered a 20% discount to those of us who had been burned by Mark. I accepted this, and ended up ordering 2 jackets.

In April of 2012 (14 months ago) I contacted Amanda and Ken and got my order placed for the 2 jackets. I was assured of a 3 month turn around time and that my jacket would be placed in priority.

In November of 2012 I was told that there had been another big crisis and that Amanda along with some others had made quite a mess and Ken would be taking over full time. Apparently my order had been lost and finally found. I was assured my jackets would be given highest priority and would be here as quick as possible, hopefully before Christmas. I was told that Aero would work on overtime to get them done. I said no, just make the Bootlegger first and ship me the second jacket separately so that no one had to work overtime. I was told that the second jacket would have free shipping since I was gracious enough to wait for it.

On December 20th I received an email that the Bootlegger had been shipped. I obviously did not get it in time for Christmas, but did receive it on Dec. 28th, and despite the long delays I was very happy with the quality and fit. My second jacket was supposed to be along very quickly as well.

On February 1st, 2013, well over a month after the Bootlegger, I finally received a shipping notification of my second jacket. For some reason my credit card info was saved and was billed, as well as billing me for shipping. I did not want to use that credit card for that order, and was told my credit card info was destroyed prior to this. I was very disappointed that it took so long to ship since it was supposed to be right behind the Bootlegger, as well as upset about the credit card billing.

On February 10th, 2013 I contacted Ken with a list of problems with my 1930s Half-belt. Incorrect hardware, sleeves shorter than ordered, as well as a bad fit.

On February 13th, 2013 Holly contacted me and said:

"Ken said there’s a problem with your jacket and that the front has been made incorrectly… he said he’s investigated and found an error on the pattern!"

and asked to return the jacket, and that Aero would reimburse me for return shipping as well as the original shipping fee that was supposed to be free. I was told I would be contacted as soon as the jacket was received at the factory. After some more emails it was shipped out on Feb. 27th, 2013.

I waited for an email that the returned jacket had been received. Nothing. I finally emailed April 4th, 2013 asking if the jacket had gotten there. Yes it had. I finally ran the tracking number and it had been received by the factory on March 12th, 2013. Almost a month earlier. Nothing was done about it however.

After numerous emails asking about my refunds, asking about my jacket, and nothing being done, I was told to supply my Credit Card info for a refund as the info had been destroyed. I called, since I did not want to give it over email. Nothing happened. I sent emails over a few weeks, and finally Christine called me and got my CC info again (said she had destroyed the other one again accidentally) and finally, on May 22nd 2013, 5 months after the initial refund was supposed to be processed, I was refunded my shipping costs. 5 months to wait for a refund seems extreme.

Christine informed me that Ken wanted to call me before the week was over and asked if 8 to 9 am my time would work. Yes it would. Ken never called me that week. The next week I went back to work on different schedule and Ken called me. This was a bad time for me as I was at work then. After a discussion about the sleeves, Ken said he would send me a picture of the jacket in question (keep in mind this is 3 months after I received an improperly made jacket and it was just now being discussed seriously) and said he would call me back right away after the pictures had been sent.

It is now June 16th. I have never heard anything more from anyone at Aero about my jacket, and it has been 3 weeks. It has been 5 and a half months ago that I was charged in full for the second jacket. I had to pay with a credit card so I had some protection from fraud. I've been paying interest on a jacket I do not have for nearly 6 months.

I have now been dealing with Aero Scotland and Ken himself for longer than I dealt with Mark Moyes fraud in the first place.​

Finally, Denny (not Ken) replied to me and managed to (with some delays) get my final coat to me, albeit with an extra pocket and some small problems in fit, but which I did finally accept.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
rippsnorter, just curious - are you sure you contacted Ken himself in April 2012, rather than the previous manager? My understanding is that Ken didn't come back into the frame until around September/October 2012 when other alleged irregularities were uncovered.

Why not title your thread..' Bad Experiences With Leather Jacket Companies' so everyone can have a sample (in one place) of all the horror stories of other leather jacket manufacturers as well...?
HD

rippsnorter

New in Town
rippsnorter, just curious - are you sure you contacted Ken himself in April 2012, rather than the previous manager? My understanding is that Ken didn't come back into the frame until around September/October 2012 when other alleged irregularities were uncovered.

I suppose it is possible that I was lied to and it wasn't Ken that I was actually talking to back in April of 2012, However in my correspondence it went to the same email address that he used as recently as July of 2013, and back in april of 2012 he did claim that he was really just in a support capacity back then and was just helping out a little. Also when I talked to Denny in July 2013 with the above email, he never disputed that I was talking to Ken.

Why not title your thread..' Bad Experiences With Leather Jacket Companies' so everyone can have a sample (in one place) of all the horror stories of other leather jacket manufacturers as well...?
HD

I could. However considering that there are a myriad of "great experiences with Aero", and not "great experiences with Leather Jacket Companies" and my experience is directly with them, I don't see a reason not to title it as it is.

While your case is unfortunate, in dealing with the issues Aero has been dealing with over the past 2 years or so I think such cases are inevitable.

BUT, from what I can see the wait between Ken coming back (Sept/Oct/Nov time, 2012) and you receiving both your jackets was 3 or 4 months or so. The problem right now in dealing with Aero is that there were/are multiple issues that were/are being dealt with and while the order was placed with the same company, the current management team was not responsible for taking your order or the first 14-16 months of your wait. I'd cut them some slack on at least some of your complaints.

On one specific point, you told them not to rush on the second jacket. They turned it around in little over a month after you received the first jacket. I don't think that particular complaint is justifiable.

Just as an interested question: How much too short were the sleeves?

rippsnorter

New in Town
While your case is unfortunate, in dealing with the issues Aero has been dealing with over the past 2 years or so I think such cases are inevitable.

BUT, from what I can see the wait between Ken coming back (Sept/Oct/Nov time, 2012) and you receiving both your jackets was 3 or 4 months or so. The problem right now in dealing with Aero is that there were/are multiple issues that were/are being dealt with and while the order was placed with the same company, the current management team was not responsible for taking your order or the first 14-16 months of your wait. I'd cut them some slack on at least some of your complaints.

On one specific point, you told them not to rush on the second jacket. They turned it around in little over a month after you received the first jacket. I don't think that particular complaint is justifiable.

Just as an interested question: How much too short were the sleeves?

After the Mark Moye fiasco I talked to Ken directly, back in April of 2012. That's about 15-16 months until delivery after talking to Ken and being assured I'd be put on priority. When I spoke with him again back in November of 2012 at the same email address, he remembered me. Yes I do believe that's cause for complaint.

Even from November until late July/August is longer than they told me it would be.

When I told them not to rush on the second jacket, I was told it would be made immediately after Christmas, I just didn't want them to rush and have to work overtime and screw up their Christmas break. In no way did I tell them not to rush and to instead wait a month or more. I was assured I'd be put on priority.

I don't recall exactly about the sleeves, I remember them being something like an inch and a half off from what they were supposed to be though. The total problems were not just sleeve length, but also they used different hardware than what I ordered, and the wrong pattern was used. The whole fit on it was very bad.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Does this really deserve a thread? Your experience sounds pretty bad but.... I don't have an Aero but I've heard a lot about them for a decade and I did have a pre-owned one for a while. Only ever heard of a few bad experiences in that time and yours is one. All companies f-up from time to time. Inevitable. I agree with HD a thread about general disappointments in leather jackets might be more useful to us. We could also include mistakes made in ordering. I can read in your tone that you're pissed, so I imagine you will want to stay brand focused.

rippsnorter

New in Town
As I said I believe it deserves it's own thread since there are so many dedicated individual threads to good experiences with Aero. If there were just one "good experience with leather jackets" thread, yeah I'd agree. Giving kudos their own individual threads, but having to put bad experiences lumped into one thread with all manufacturers, feels it's trying to be hidden.

And I am dissatisfied yes. I think my total cost came out to around $1800 USD, I know it was well over $1600. For that kind of money I think better customer service is deserved.

I sincerely hope that everyone gets good service in the future though.

Just for clarification by the way, despite the long delay my first jacket, the Bootlegger, is a superb jacket that I love and wear constantly. Everything about it feels right and well made.

My second jacket however, has never felt right on me and I hardly ever wear it. I've been tempted several times to sell it.

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, I think this thread is well justified. There are many threads praising Aero and we also have a few dedicated fanboys on the board, so why not give the complaints about Aero some room as well? I also don't see Aero as the flawless perfect shop others call them, they make ok jackets for ok money, that's it. I'm glad they're around so there's more choice than your average mall-jacket, but that's it for me.
I had an issue myself when my LHB was back in Galashiels in 2012 for minor tweaks and it took months to get it back and they wanted to charge me for things we never agreed upon (and that had never been done to boot), but we were able to sort this out when Holly took over communications finally from her mother (as I understood at that time). They tried to tie every mistake done to the former management, which is, for me as a customer, totally irrelevant and a tad bad style. Not that I believed it to begin with, in particular the part when Amada mutated into some kind of amnesia-ridden idiot, who srewed up all orders single-handedly. What really annoyed me back then was that mods agreed upon beforehand were flat-out refused, because "Ken didn't approve of it". Oh! The inventor of the leather-jacket himself didn't like it? Who am I then to dispute the descisions of the wise and enlightened? ;)
Anyway, I'm not into Aero-bashing (I can hear the fanboys grinding their teeths ;)) and I ordered a second jacket this year (which was forgotten then in production just to keep in style), but I see the company as what I think they are, basically a pop-and-mom-shop grown fast with all the problems these tend to have. Once your measures are established (and don't change!) and you're into the fourth coat or so, it's fine, but on the way there can lie a few bumps. Love my LHB anyway ;). Peace! :)

wdw

One Too Many
rippsnorter, you seem to have the patience of a saint, waiting 5 months for a refund. I'd have given them 2 weeks, then unleashed the forces of Mordor to get my money back. Over 2 weeks tends to indicate a dodgy company or that something has gone missing and needs chasing or sorting. I know they're not a dodgy company.

As for DT's point about blaming the previous management, I gather we can expect some closure on that sooner rather than later, so it'll be nice to finally lay that to rest, one way or the other.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I can't believe the mods are allowing this thread. Was it their Xmas party at the weekend or something?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Personally, I can't believe the mods are allowing this thread. Was it their Xmas party at the weekend or something?

Why not?

The other thread has been closed so betron I'll reply to you here. I think you did call him a troll, and I think you called me one too. So if you or anyone else has a gripe with me do it in an open way and don't weasel around.

I kept out of that thread until some contrary views turned up in the love in but I don't see why we all can't write honestly about our experiences. Or should the thread only allow good reviews of Aero? I've written about them elsewhere, but I call things as I see them and if I have a poor experience I'll write about that too. It's also interesting that some people who object are the same people who jump into AL and other threads and slag those companies off when they have no experience of them at all. But hypocrisy is to be expected I suppose.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Yes, why not to have a general thread about complaints? Sometimes it is more useful to have these than having all the praises. It is similar to the ratings in places like Amazon where in lots of cases, the low rating comments are the most useful ones. Experiences such as rippsnorter can provide insights into things which future customers should avoid in doing, or what to expect from the company(ies). If everything around here are just pure satisfactions, this would become a place of advertisements (which Bill Kelso has been accused of not long ago). I personally have no experience with the current Aero management, but had mixed feeling about the previous one, mainly about the workmanship, not the service. But with business models like Aero and Bill Kelso, which offer custom services, are deemed to draw unsatisfactory complaints. My opinion is that, there is still huge room for improvement, especially with the money that they are charging now.

schitzo

Suspended

Well blow me I did not see one this coming?! Mr Sloan, you are an enigma

FTR without freedom of speech, in particular the room for people to be critical be that criticism justified or otherwise, these boards would be a waste of space

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Yes I tend to look a the poor reviews on Amazon first, but the Amazon review system is pretty good in that people who like the product are as likely write one as people who don't. Many customers who write reviews of products elsewhere will only do so if they had a bad experience with a company. I think a general leather jacket company review thread is not a bad idea at all. But it's all subjective of course.

BTW the point made above about it all being the fault of the previous management according to Aero is a good one. I had my ear bent several times and I'm sure everyone else has too. There may be something in it, but I got the impression that they were also responsible for global warming, the civil war in Syria, and world hunger too.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
When choosing a manufacturer, I avoided Aero for 4 main reasons...

The price. It didn't seem justifiable, not when AL or other companies are so much cheaper.

Concerns about quality. I read too many people saying that had some issues. Also knowing many of the staff left to AL and new students were hired...

Refusal to do customizations.

The loyalty of Aero fans, where such loyalty didn't necessarily make sense. Too similar to Apple fans and the RDF.

Not saying anything bad about Aero at all, I I haven't really dealt with them....just giving my impressions as someone new to the scene.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think it would be an injustice if they do moderate and delete it.

I'm a fan of Aero, have 2 of their jackets and have had great service from them but we are all grown ups here. No company is perfect and mistakes are made. Why can't we hear about the few times they dropped the ball? It shouldn't be a dirty little secret, they messed up....seemingly a few times on the one order but he got his jacket in the end.

If the FL is going to fall into the murky waters of only allowing positive threads on affiliates it becomes nothing more than advertising in disguise. Is that why we come here?

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I don't like this as well. If we come back to the Amazon review-system, this would be like gathering all negative comments about all products Amazon in one place while the praise can be seen at each product individual. Not fair.
Sloan, I don't see why you are demanding for the mods to close this thread? You and some others have been the source of quite some glowing reviews about Aero, supporting and amplifying each other, congratulating each who depicted a freshly bought jacket on the terrific fit, be it true or not, so why not one thread with not so good experiences? You guys were slamming AL for example whereever possible, but Aero must stay out of critizism? Is the company holy or what? I thought you were a journalist? Freedom of speech anybody?
I agree a "bad experience"-thread might attract trolls, so a more vigilant moderation could be necessary, but civilized people should be able to discuss this in a polite and educated manner, without trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana