Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmoral Boots

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Trickers Outlet Store Now Exists

Saw this piece of info over at SL and there are some boots here ...apropros this thread....

Punch in retricker1829 on eBay search.

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
Loved them as soon as I saw them. But I just knew in my gut that they would be well out of my price range. I was correct.

But the modern Grensons will serve me well and have been sported with my dark gray DB suit.

They're a sharp looking pair of boots alright. Those rubber type soles... can they be re-heeled as with leather? Look like they'd work equally well casually.

Edward

Bartender
This seemed like an opportune place to post a photo of one of my latest eBay wins:

0b1e_1.JPG

Sanders boots. FWIW, I also won these Sanders shoes:

7424_1.JPG

I managed to snare both for just under GBP30 (USD 60), plus shipping. Very pleased with that! Recently, I've gotten more into the idea of a leather sole than rubber - dim theory being they might last a bit longer, being as they can be reheelled, which of course a DMS can't. I also have really come to prefer a flat sole, which you don't tend to see in a modern rubber sole much. I intend to wear these for both formal and casual purposes. The boots especially I really like for a casual look. They feel beautiful quality. They will of course need broken in. For now, they've had two coats of polish applied and left to soak in over night before buffing off, and I'm just waiting for the right occasion to debut them (I'll probably wear them round the house for a bit first). I've never been one to relish being in fashion (quite the opposite), but I'm kinda hoping this style comes back in so as I can find shoes like this more affordably. I do think it is worth paying for quality, but even so something in my genes baulks at the idea of paying out GBP200+ for a pair of shoes with people starving in the world....

ETA: Both will certainly be worn with suits as well at some point!

Edward

Bartender
Thanks. Yeah, the boots are the real star - if only I could find them in burgundy at that price too... :) They're perfect for what I was after, and much cheaper than the Indy-style boots that I will, of course, eventually buy as well when cashflow allows!

The Burberry has turned into a bit of a saga.... I've got to go to the bank over that. I sent (and was charged £20 for the privilege!) a ban ktransfer which the seller claims never to have received, though it's gone out of my account.... I'm inclined to believe they're on a level, and the bank has screwed up somewhere. Somebody got my money, though! I had to send a new payment in cash via recorded delivery, and now finally the coat is on its way. If it's not up to it when it gets here, I'll thcweam and thcweam... I sure hope I gwet my money back, but at least if not I'm "only" out in total what the gonig rate is for a Burberry on eBay... naturally, photos when it gets here. After all this, ordering an A2 will be a breeze, once the cash is together (at least the wait for that has meant I've done my homework and know exactly what I'm after now. ;) ).

ETA Re the Burberry: I'm told it's finally on its way - I may have it by le weekend!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
This seemed like an opportune place to post a photo of one of my latest eBay wins:

0b1e_1.JPG

Sanders boots. FWIW, I also won these Sanders shoes:

7424_1.JPG

They will of course need broken in. For now, they've had two coats of polish applied and left to soak in over night before buffing off, and I'm just waiting for the right occasion to debut them (I'll probably wear them round the house for a bit first).

Hit em with a big dose of leather conditioner FWIW you get it at the auto shops. The UK has one (Auto Glym) they use on Aston Martins and has 2 royal warrants. I have used it and it's great.

Edward

Bartender
cookie said:
Hit em with a big dose of leather conditioner FWIW you get it at the auto shops. The UK has one (Auto Glym) they use on Aston Martins and has 2 royal warrants. I have used it and it's great.

Should I use that instead of polish, or as well as?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think Cookie means before you first wear them. Using a leather conditioner is a good idea every now and again (I do it once a year on my shoes and boots).

Another good one which I love (and Cookie should know about being an Aussie!) is RM Williams Saddle Dressing, comes in a good sized tin. As well as regular polishing, they'll last ages Edward.

Edward

Bartender
Cool, thanks. I'll go looking for the leather conditioning and get a good coat of that on both pairs before I wear them out anywhere. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I just received these Brogue Boots from the seller in the UK. I paid $52.35 US plus shipping so they weren't exactly cheap. However, they look great, actually much better than the photo. They are Italian made by Mario Antonio.

1260580031_cce82a9d3e_m.jpg

RetroRich

New in Town
John Spencer Boots

Discovered them some time ago at John Rushton Shoes,Wimpole St,London.
Was so impressed by the quality & constuction of the boots,i bought 4 pairs..2 of the Derby/Balmoral style,(1 tan,1black) & 2 in the Chelsea Boot style in the same colours.
Calf leather uppers,Goodyear Welted leather soles,leather heels,storm welts.
1286671494_672dbf06d3.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Just to be clear: What Americans call a balmoral is what Brits call an oxford. That is, a shoe with closed lacing, where the throat is sewn under the vamp. The John Spencer boots above, while nice, are not balmoral boots. They're derbies or bluchers, and hence more casual than a bal/oxford boot. This thread was originally about bal boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points