Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmoral Boots

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am not so crazy about Balmorals, especially the more dressy ones or two-tones. What I would really go for are these generic derby boots:

derby-1.jpg

IMG_1380.JPG

I am a real sucker for those and would certainly order one.

Wow, those are the real deal right there Rudy. Many elements of that dress boot has so much appeal. The heel has enough "meat" on it to make it last and not flimsy, the shape of the back going up from the heel, has the curve and from what the picture shows, it seems also the waist of the sole is beveled. Amazing. My Husband would love to own a pair of those boots. I presume these are actually vintage and not reproductions, am I correct?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The first pair belongs to hbk, the second one is mine. Unworn and custom made. Mine have a bevelled waist, yes. The instep part of the sole is wood pegged. They are size 11. Unfortunately they are so narrow that I can't even get my feet inside. Like a AAAAAAAAAAAAA width. Believe me, that was a real bummer when I finally got them ...

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Unfortunately they are so narrow that I can't even get my feet inside. Like a AAAAAAAAAAAAA width. Believe me, that was a real bummer when I finally got them ...

A good cobbler should be able to stretch the width a bit, but maybe not enough?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
A good cobbler should be able to stretch the width a bit, but maybe not enough?

Absolutely not. Stretching should be avoided with vintage leather. Often there is dryness in the middle of the leather that you can't even see... and it may well tear if stretched. Besides, stretching only works for adding a very small amount of "toe or forefoot width". The footbed will still be the same width, and the ball of the foot will extend beyond it. Very painful.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
The first pair belongs to hbk, the second one is mine. Unworn and custom made. Mine have a bevelled waist, yes. The instep part of the sole is wood pegged. They are size 11. Unfortunately they are so narrow that I can't even get my feet inside. Like a AAAAAAAAAAAAA width. Believe me, that was a real bummer when I finally got them ...

Aint THAT the truth!!

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Absolutely not. Stretching should be avoided with vintage leather. Often there is dryness in the middle of the leather that you can't even see... and it may well tear if stretched. Besides, stretching only works for adding a very small amount of "toe or forefoot width". The footbed will still be the same width, and the ball of the foot will extend beyond it. Very painful.

I stand corrected.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I really love this bespoke model from Dimitri Gomez.
drool-smiley.gif

Dimitri-Gomez-for-Parisian-Gentleman.jpg

BTW, I got my black grain/calf boots from Meermin the other day. I'll upload pictures of them soon, along with my two pairs of vintage boots.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Honestly these more than likely were made to be worn by either sex....but they were made like tanks.....that tag has "instructions" on the one side of it, letting you know it you take care of them as instructed, they will last a very long time.....and who knew, they are already way over a 100 years old and you can see for yourself in the picture, these are in wonderful condition.

I love on the label "It Takes Leather to Stand Weather." Today many worry about getting their leather shoes and boots wet, but this just argues that leather - properly taken care of - is a great all-weather boot material, which it is.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Honestly these more than likely were made to be worn by either sex....but they were made like tanks.....that tag has "instructions" on the one side of it, letting you know it you take care of them as instructed, they will last a very long time.....and who knew, they are already way over a 100 years old and you can see for yourself in the picture, these are in wonderful condition.

Can we see a sole pic, pls?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I love on the label "It Takes Leather to Stand Weather." Today many worry about getting their leather shoes and boots wet, but this just argues that leather - properly taken care of - is a great all-weather boot material, which it is.
Yes it is. One thing in our home, conditioner is one of the most important aspects of any shoe or boot that is made from anything in the animal kingdom....if it is a type of leather, it needs to be taken care of...and aside from cleaning leather, it needs to be conditioned. Leather that is very well conditioned can really take a beating....however, then you have some people like us....so dag gone careful to not let a drop of anything other than conditioner get on the leather. In the fall weather we have now coming, it is all about rubber cover protection for shoes....or you wear something junky to and from the car but put on your nice shoes or boots inside at your destination.... I know, sounds a bit "anal" but when you relish shoes and boots, it happens!

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
This is a pair of open tab balmorals I made for myself the galosh is elephant and the shaft is French calf. It has a half gusset tounge and vibram heel. I made it as a work boot
tomsnewshoes1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider