1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Balmoral straw from Akubra, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Picker, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Picker

Picker One of the Regulars

I'm contemplating the straw Balmoral from Akubra, sold at Hats.direct. Does anyone have one? If so, can you post pics, preferably being worn. I'm in Georgia, and straws are more comfortable than felt during the extreme humidity of summer.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Picker

2. Can't help you with the Balmoral, Picker. I have a Zephyr on order for same reason you stated, Georgia heat & humidity. The Zephyr had vents. I have a couple of palm leaf western hats w/o venting & tho they breathe okay, I like the vented crown of my bangora straws more.
    The Zephyr is last on this page = http://www.akubra.com.au/products_straws.html
    Will post a report when it arrives...

3. VickHick

VickHick New in Town

Sam at Everything Austrailian just sent me an Email yesterday telling me that even though they were not on the website they do have the Balmoral (bad spelling) in stock there. The price is AU $60.00.

4. That's how I ordered my Zephyr = asked Sam at EA if he could order it even tho it wasn't on his site...

5. Damon Falzone

Damon Falzone One of the Regulars

6. duggap

duggap Banned

Well if you are talking straws, then you should check out our own Panama Bob for a possible Panama hat.;)

7. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Balmoral

I already posted a thread abouit this - a great hat. The shape is assisted by a fair bit of stiffening but Rob at Strand Hatters tells me that with use this breaks down and it softens up (it is straw not poly). This hat looks to me as if it will stand a little rain.

I can't stand the rain...on my Montes...brings back bad memories....lol lol

8. DanO

DanO One of the Regulars

Just got my Akubra Balmoral Hardhat, anyone have ideas on softening this up!
    My god, the hemp is sooo stiff!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I have a hemp Akubra Reef and I like it, but then I was expecting it to be stiff. Steam will allow it to be shaped, but it will be hard again as soon as it cools off. It’s just the nature of Akubra hemp hats. I suppose you could soak the hat in a solvent to see if you could remove some of the stiffeners. Maybe try denatured alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro