Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banjo or Coober

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
Coober Pedy Hat

If anyone has an Akubra Coober Pedy hat, please post pics. I prefer a greenish one Can you also tell me of its quality, thankyou.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I think I might have an idea why nobody has responded. PM me if you want to know.

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't have one but have seen them at 2 different Akubra dealers. It is a stiff hat that is tall crowned with a brim to match. I like the vents in the crown but when in need of a cowboy type hat, I use one of my Resistols or Stetsons. About the same quality as a Snowy River.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Sister has one. In fact I ordered it in for her from http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=7&ccode=1070&cat_id=2 She already had a CEO but wanted something with better sun coverage. It is a stiff outback hat but it will soften up with use, like any other Akubra. The crown is not that tall but it is tapered. The brim is wide and flat, curving down at the front and back. She likes it, I don't think she's touched her CEO since she got it. Hope that helps.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would go for the Opal/kangaroo one myself. Looks pretty sharp. You can also try these guys. http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?id=2&cat=Akubra I have bought form them as well as hatsdirect but Everything Australian is a little cheeper on a few items, including the Cooper Peby.
Also look at the Coolabah, very similar style but with a croc band ;) . I own one of these and am very happy with it.
Johnny

Bebop

Practically Family
The Coober Pedys I checked out did not have a fuzzy appearance. When I look at my Akubras, it seems that the higher end Heritage quality has more of a fuzzy felt.

TheShadowKnows

New in Town
Akubra Banjo Paterson vs. Stockman

The Banjo Paterson and Stockman hats look very similar, and are extremely close in size. Are they the same hat but with the Stockman's brim slightly curled up on the sides? Other than the Stockman having chin-strap eyelets, they appear to be identical. Does anyone have either one or both?
Also, I'm thinking about buying either the Paterson or the Akubra Angler. Any feedback on either one?
Thanks!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Uh, no. Aside from having a similar width brim, they are pretty different in the crown. The Stockman has a teardrop crown with a flat top, whereas the Banjo has a rounded crown with a center dent.

Akubras somewhat similar to the Banjo incude the Coober Pedy, Coolabah, Leisure Time, Lawson, Safari, Flemington, CEO, Kiandra, etc.

Brothers to the Stockman include the Snowy River, Cattleman, Longreach, Territory, Jackaroo, etc.

And hats having chin strap eyelets vary from dealer to dealer. For example, neither of the Akubra country hats I have (Stockman and Cattleman) has the eyelets.

jec

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
Uh, no. Aside from having a similar width brim, they are pretty different in the crown. The Stockman has a teardrop crown with a flat top, whereas the Banjo has a rounded crown with a center dent.

Akubras somewhat similar to the Banjo incude the Coober Pedy, Coolabah, Leisure Time, Lawson, Safari, Flemington, CEO, Kiandra, etc.

Brothers to the Stockman include the Snowy River, Cattleman, Longreach, Territory, Jackaroo, etc.

And hats having chin strap eyelets vary from dealer to dealer. For example, neither of the Akubra country hats I have (Stockman and Cattleman) has the eyelets.

To elaborate on Dr. Strange's comments:

The main difference between the Cattleman and the Stockman would appear to be that the Cattleman has a wider brim (3 1/4") that is bound, and that is flat across and downturned in the back -with no curl. The Stockman brim (2 3/4") is slightly upcurled, I believe, more like a small-brimmed Snowy River.

Depending on your source, the Cattleman can come unlined, too. Mine also has no eyelets for the chin strap.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
jec, he was asking about the Banjo Patterson vs. the Stockman, not the Stockman vs. the Cattleman. I was the one who interjected the Cattleman!

(BTW, my Cattleman is also unlined. That, along with the ventilation grommets and the wider brim, make it an excellent summer hat. Conversely, I find that the Stockman - lined, unventilated, smaller-brimmed - is better for cooler weather.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk