Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber shops

Takedeadaim

New in Town
I miss the old barber shops like my grandpa used to take me to when I was a kid, an actual mens place. Smoking allowed, sports and politics discussed, men hanging out reading the paper.

Sorry ladies I'm not against you, I'm sure you like your space a the salon just as much.

I still shave with a straight razor or a
safety blade and with soap not some unknown substance in a can. My dads razor strop hangs on the wall.

Our last barber shop closed last year, owner was in his 80's and still gave a heck of a cut, brushed off you shirt when he was done, and splashed some of that Clubman after shave on you. I miss some of the things that were "guy" places

Not sure what part of the world you live, but barber shops have made a huge comeback in the last 10 years. Can't throw a rock and not hit one where I live, from the newer high end places where they serve you fancy drinks while waiting for your cut and shave or the more traditional one or two chair setups. The place I go is just what you describe (minus the smoking, as it's been outlawed in public places most everywhere), and has been around since I moved to the area 18 years ago. There have been at least 6 or 8 new barber shops open up within a five mile radius in the last 10 years.

Takedeadaim

New in Town
I am in the southeastern Wisconsin, I used to have the local two chair place and one half a block from work in downtown Milwaukee. Guy in Milwaukee tried at least 3 people out in the years I went there and no one stayed. As I said the local guy recently retired. Maybe, just maybe someone will take over the place.

A friend of mine's daughter works for a high end place in Florida, she loves it and makes a good living at it.

Those high end places are ridiculously high. They're like $150 for a haircut and who knows how much for a shave. But I guess you get pretty pampered. The place I go is $16 for the haircut (it's gone up a few bucks in the last 15 years), which includes the traditional straight razor trim up along with the powder and smell. I think a straight razor shave is $20, but I've only done it a few times at the barber shop. Not sure of the regulations in WI, but here in TX there's a difference between a "cosmetologist" and a "barber". Those with a full barber's license are much rarer. A few of the local shops are run by ex military barbers, so they not only tend to support their own, you can get a haircut to set your watch by.

Takedeadaim

New in Town
Wow, I guess she's making a decent living, well good for her. I dont have that much hair left that I'd pay much to get it cut anymore, but I like the experience. Nothing like the hot towel, shave all that stuff. I think most of all the experience and what it stands for is what means the most to me, that and those memories of going there at age 5 with my grandpa and the barber making a big deal out of doing man stuff. Man I miss him and my dad

Yes Wisconsin has a barber specific license and I think the shave is a barber only skill under that license.

^^^^ Funny ... we have a chain of higher-end shops in town called Hudson Hawk. I never returned after my first visit when they came after my mustache with electric clippers (uninvited).

I've been going to this guy off and on for a couple of years when he was in a long-time shop here in Springfield. Other times I was going to a barber in the small town near our "farm". Now that he has his own place that is closer to where I live he is my go-to guy.

The place looks pretty sparse here, but is now filled with funky mid-century art and furnishings. His wife and young son are often there and give the place a great family vibe.

The conversations run the gamut and Jordon is a font of information. Plus he has a hat rack...

Blue_Collar_Barber.JPG

Blue_Collar_Barber_Rates.JPG

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I remember the barber placing a board across the arm chair for me to sit
while he trimmed my hair.
572B7D65-DA3E-45BE-89A5-92FA6E61ECF5.jpeg

D0DA3E0A-E96C-4002-A4C9-400C38863FC0.jpg

I loved the aroma of colorful bottles of hair tonic.
Always associated those scents to my dad and uncles.
I coulda fallen asleep when he applied
that warm shaving foam on my
neck and using a straight edge razor.
Listening to the sound of the razor gently scraping the back of my neck.

Small radio tuned to a baseball game.
While the grown-ups carried a conversation about current
events.

Waiting for my turn...I had a choice of
comic books, newspaper or adult magazines like Confidential,
Police Gazette or Field & Stream.

Last time I went to a barber shop the price
was $3 and I thought that was steep. :(

Last edited:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
My preferred barber is an ex-Elvis imitator, who gives a mean D.A. in his old-school hole in the wall shop. He met The King a few times in the 60s and 70s, and has framed and signed photographs hanging on the wall to prove it.

His partner in the enterprise is an ex-Marine Corp lady... actually, a true "broad" (smokes, cussed, boozes, you name it)... that gives a helluva flat-top or military buzz.

Depending on my prevailing taste in what I want that month, I either leave looking like James Dean, or Deke Slayton... either one is alright by me, and worth the 10 spot I've gotta drop to get the experience.

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My preferred barber is an ex-Elvis imitator, who gives a mean D.A. in his old-school hole in the wall shop. He met The King a few times in the 60s and 70s, and has framed and signed photographs hanging on the wall to prove it.

His partner in the enterprise is an ex-Marine Corp lady... actually, a true "broad" (smokes, cussed, boozes, you name it)... that gives a helluva flat-top or military buzz.

Depending on my prevailing taste in what I want that month, I either leave looking like James Dean, or Deke Slayton... either one is alright by me, and worth the 10 spot I've gotta drop to get the experience.

Rob

As much as I emphasized, “just a little on the sides”.
Sometimes I left the barber shop feeling like this:
Just a trim please.jpg

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
That all takes me back. I really miss those old fashioned local barber shops. I remember fondly how as a child my grandfather would take me to his barber and we'd sit side by side getting our hair cut (me sitting on a board).

Now I have a choice between a fancy and pricey 'Hairdressing Salon for Gentlemen', an expensive Turkish barber where they use old style razors to shave your face or the cheapo barber in the arcade where the Polish female staff kvetch away in Polish while you're sitting there wondering whether they're talking about you.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I know/knew what you mean; feeling cool air on my temples... which I hadn't felt before...was/is somewhat of a disconcerting and emotional experience, making me wonder if I'd been scalped, lol..

Rob

HanauMan

Practically Family
That was my fate for a long time growing up as a army brat. Dad would take me to the base barber to get a short back & sides. That wasn't too bad, but one day when I was 13 or 14 a new army barber gave me a total buzz cut, the old 'whitewall' cut! Well, that was that and afterwards I frequented the civilian barber up the road where they actually listened to what you wanted.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Getting a haircut shouldn't be a chaotic experience, where you're never quite sure what you'll end up with...I like boring consistency, where I can count on getting exactly what I've asked for. [emoji6]

Rob

Harp

I'll Lock Up
That was my fate for a long time growing up as a army brat. Dad would take me to the base barber to get a short back & sides. That wasn't too bad, but one day when I was 13 or 14 a new army barber gave me a total buzz cut, the old 'whitewall' cut! ...

Got buzzed at Ft Polk, Louisiana, the ol'Infantry baldysour. Lets the sweat run out and the sun burn in. Now I get cut, shave, and shoeshine at the Chicago Options Exchange, LaSalle Street Station locale. There's always an early bird barber at 06:50 hours.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The fellow I've been going to since 1979 graduated with his current business partner from barber college on a day nobody will forget: Nov. 22, 1963. Phil and Frank each have a space in their shop, and there are 4 other spaces, mostly used by women stylists. But you can still get a regular old haircut there. I don't know about the shave, as I do that for myself, but Phil certainly has a bottle of Clubman talc on his supply shelf!

More places are popping up around town, but they tend to be more high end. Even the "old-style" barbers are charging a LOT more for haircuts now.

When I was small, my parents brought me to a little barber shop on Dumaine Street right off Bourbon, next to the Cafe Lafitte in Exile bar. This was when there were actual service businesses in the French Quarter, and ordinary people could afford to live there. I always insisted I wanted my hair longer on top, and Dad or Mom overruled me. By the time I was old enough to pick my own haircut, the guy had retired or moved.

3fingers

One Too Many
My usual barber is 85. He is in good shape yet, but there will come a day.
His shop is a little different. You wait in a wingback chair, there's a nice rug on the floor and a library to browse while you wait. It is 19 for a haircut and 15 or 17 for a shave. There are a couple of other shops around now. I've only been to one of them. He gets 12 for a haircut, but he's not consistent. You aren't ever sure what you will look like when he is done. My future step daughter in law is a barber as well. She works in a shop in the state capitol and cuts hair for some of the legislators.
Prices there start at $39.00. Seems a little salty for a haircut.

green papaya

One Too Many
I stopped going to barber shops many years ago, I bought my own professional clippers and get my hair cuts at home by friends / family.

you can save a lot of time & money that way, just a few hair cuts pays for the clippers, no more waiting in line or driving to a barber shop

the old fashioned barber shops are no more, most of them were WW2 vets, all the new generation of barbers are mostly young guys covered in tattoos and piercings, not my kind of barber, plus they charge too much for a hair cut these days, a waste of money.

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
^^^ I understand what you are saying but I look at it differently. I do not live an extravagant lifestyle but there are things that I enjoy that I am willing to pay for. A half hour in the chair with my erudite barber to visit with is one of those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana