Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Alteration Questions

CavemanLee

New in Town
Hi everyone,
I just received a Barbour Beaufort as a belated Christmas gift, and I feel that the sleeves are just a bit short. I normally wear a 42L and the jacket I received was a 44. I know that I can send it to get the sleeves lengthened, but I was wondering whether anyone had had lengthening done and what their jacket looked like afterwards. I don't see how the sleeves can be lengthened without either putting completely new sleeves on the jacket or adding a strip of extra material to the existing ones. If material is simply added, I wanted to know whether this detracted from the look of the jacket. I'd like to get some ideas of what to expect before I send it in.
Thanks

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For similar reasons as yours, I sent one of my Barbour jackets to have the sleeves lengthen. I sent it to their HQ for N America in NH.

They literally sew extra materal to the end of the sleeve with a reinforced seam, as all of their seams are. Then they move the inside cuff down inside of it.

Does it detract from the look? Well, there is a new seam. If you don't like that, then you may be unhappy. To me, it's fine, even preferable; it's your jacket, that is how they do, and it will be uniquely yours.

Around here, people wear their Barbours for decades. It seems preferable to show that yours has been through many seasons with patches and alterations.

These are tough field jackets after all. They shouldn't be too spiffy clean or perfect.

CavemanLee

New in Town
Thousand words

Would it be possible for you to show me a picture of what the seam looks like? I'm leaning towards getting it done, but since it's going to be a permanent change, I'd like to really know what I'm signing up for. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner