Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Bash." Not a hatter's term?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Where does "bash" come from anyway? COW?

I think "shape" or "block" or "crease" are much better and more authentic terms. "Bash" seems to be a phenomenon of this and COW boards. Like "Fed" for fedora (shudder), "Borso" for Borsalino, etc.

Does "bash" show up in old Hat Life issues? Or anywhere else? Brad Bowers - what say you?

EricH

One of the Regulars
Not that I'm an expert, but seeing as hats are formed on blocks, the block or blocking of a hat would seem the natural form of slang. After all, aren't hats cleaned and blocked?

Perhaps bash is easier to say when you're smashed at the bar? Bartender another round please.:cheers1:

Eric
(Trying to be a blockhead in my own right)

Duck

Practically Family
Well, I had never heard the term "bash" for the shaping of a hat before I came to this site. [huh] I have always heard the shape of the crown as the "crease".
But it does make some sense, because to crease the crown, you have to kind of bash the top in :D :D

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I accept the Australia/COW theory, as it's not a term I've come across in my research.

One term that I have run across is the verb, "styled," as in "The clerk styled the hat for the customer." This is certainly the term used in Cavanagh's Park Avenue store.

Brad

majormoore

Vendor
I call it a crease, seems most western hatters use the term "crease"

Mike Moore, aka Major Moore

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Discovered the term here. Wondered about it's etymology. Felt, so to speak, I'd be mocked and scorned if I asked about it. Thanks, Scott. You did it for me.

dean

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A friend pointed out that some hatters are hearing customers from Fedora Lounge use the term "bash" and wonder what they're talking about. It seemed like a good idea to let newer members know it's a Floungeism, and not an actual term for the hat bidness.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
A friend pointed out that some hatters are hearing customers from Fedora Lounge use the term "bash" and wonder what they're talking about. It seemed like a good idea to let newer members know it's a Floungeism, and not an actual term for the hat bidness.

Floungeism, now there's a term. I like that!lol

Brad

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed vintage ads that use the term "crease" in the exact same context that Loungers (including myself :rolleyes:) use the term "bash."

All in all, "crease" may be the way to go...(although I still think it's OK to have some Aussie-based Lounge slang :) ).

Cheers,
JtL

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
I, for one, am working on not using this term any longer....
Not that it seems a bad term but I now know I need to be more accurate.

I'm with you, R! I'm going to stop using it, too. Speaking for myself. I always prefer accuracy.

dean

dostacos

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Where does "bash" come from anyway? COW?

I think "shape" or "block" or "crease" are much better and more authentic terms. "Bash" seems to be a phenomenon of this and COW boards. Like "Fed" for fedora (shudder), "Borso" for Borsalino, etc.

Does "bash" show up in old Hat Life issues? Or anywhere else? Brad Bowers - what say you?
at least on COW I always thought FED was used as a short cut for a brand of hat [Federation and Federation Deluxe]not Fedora

but I could be wrong on that....

As for "bash" I first heard it on COW, and I thought of it as the style, front pinch, top crease and that slightly off center design of the Indy specific hats, bash being all those items together creating the Indiana Jones look, and may have naturally expanded to other hat treatments as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points