Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bashing other's Bashes ???

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes a good answer to "Indiana Jones!" is "Well, no, actually, his hat was a...." and just go on & on & on with every little bit of minutiae and tiniest of detail - bore them to death with the topic. Three (will be four) different movies with different hats in each, compared to yours, and you can talk about brim, ribbon, crown, bash, whether you wears your straight-on or rotated slightly, etc. Information overload usually stops them from every bringing up the topic again.

Well, MAB1, that's the world of the oddly obsessed.

I got nothing against the Indiana Jones fedora(s), but I don't own one and unless I can get one for a real bargain I doubt I ever will. But then, I'm a large enough person, with strong enough features, to wear one without the hat calling too much attention to itself. For many guys, it's just not the right hat. Too tall, too wide of brim, just plain too big for their features.

But hey, at least the IJ phenomenon has people looking at (and making) straight-sided hats. Pity is that too many "Indiana Jones" hats produced over the years are not only decidedly cheap lids (wool bodies, etc.), they don't even come close to that vintage look.

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
COW is one of the most civil forums IMO. I'm assuming you're referring to the thread about the Akubra Adventurer. What I saw was not people getting trounced on. This is what I saw...someone who joined only 2008 jumping on one of the community's most beloved member and seller and making wrong judgments about his character. To me, that was more rude than anything he said.

What are we? People who love hats? Or idgits at a Trekkie gathering?
At COW? Obviously the point is to create the most screen accurate Indy Fedora. Fedoras that try to pass for Indy hats but don't come close deserve honest opinions on Indy Gear. To let the Adventurer pass as being a great Indy hat would be a crime on all the breakthroughs Indy Gear/COW has achieved over the years. To COW folks who have been around, the Adventurer is an Akubra hat that mimics the original Federation up to being too much of a clone. Thus, the Adventurer could never be a "great" hat so long as the Federation exists. However, as a non-Indy hat, I'd say the Adventurer is good, although I don't like the non-contrasting ribbon regardless.

Lets look at what the David Morgan site says about the Adventurer...
The Adventurer is our newest fedora, in the same general shape, style and color as the fedora worn by Indiana Jones in the "Indiana Jones" movies
Same shape and style I could buy, but they go dead wrong on the color. Those kind of claims just don't sit well with folks at COW. Here, that hat is just a fedora, which it is. At COW, it wouldn't make sense to allow a hat like that to make those sort of claims and be "great" Indy hats. They'd be lying if they did.

Miss_Bella_Hell

MAB1 said:
What are we? People who love hats? Or idgits at a Trekkie gathering?

Um...well, being an Indie nutter is a lot like being a trekkie. Whether it is thus idiocy is a value judgment that each of us must make.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
Sometimes a good answer to "Indiana Jones!" is "Well, no, actually, his hat was a...." and just go on & on & on with every little bit of minutiae and tiniest of detail - bore them to death with the topic. Three (will be four) different movies with different hats in each, compared to yours, and you can talk about brim, ribbon, crown, bash, whether you wears your straight-on or rotated slightly, etc. Information overload usually stops them from every bringing up the topic again.

I think I will not take that bit of advice, since it is a clear admission of fanboy guilt. My answer to "Indiana Jones!" will be "Who's that?"

Anyway, COW is an enthusiastically specific but generally respectful and civil forum - just not my cup of tea. For weird, paranoid, disrespectful and downright surreal, there is another forum named for a plated rodent that will put COW into perspective if you happen by.

I can see where Club Obi Wan is coming from. Honestly, if someone is posting there about hats, it's because they want an Indiana Jones fedora, or want to talk about Indiana Jones fedoras. It's not a place to talk about hats in general. So yes, it is correct that people who haven't got the creases right should be corrected; told that it doesn't actually look like an Indiana Jones hat. Does it make it a bad hat, or a bad crease? No. But it does make it a bad Indiana Jones hat.

Personally i don't get the Indiana Jones obsession. In my opinion they are very, very poorly made movies with the barest of plots and very dodgy wardrobes. It seems to suit a very limited set of physical traits which most people don't have. It is not a middle-of-the-range option that will suit most anyone. It is an extreme hat. The hat, again in my opinion though i think the facts (pics of people wearing Indy hats) bear me out, is not a good hat for everyone. But others don't agree and want to recreate these clothing items. That's fine. Hence, i don't post at Club Obi Wan.

I don't see the problem. If everyone was totally positive and supportive about everything anyone ever showed, we'd all be liars. Myself, i just keep quiet. This limits my participation in hat threads, and in suit threads, and in pretty much all the show-and-tell threads.

bk

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
COW doesn't mind people posting non-accurate hats, so long as the people know they're posting a hat that isn't one. I myself have posted my vintage hats before, and haven't gotten any negative comments. The problem stems from the hat in question being The Adventurer, a hat that claims to be an Indy hat, but doesn't come close enough. Not only that, it is a hat that obviously is trying to cash in off the success of The Federation, and for COW folks who are in the know, there's something very wrong with that. The Federation is an exclusive Akubra hat for Hatsdirect that was made with participation of COW members. Yet, here we have The Akubra Adventurer which up to th color is a short clone of The Federation.

majormoore

Vendor
I look at the Indy hat the same as the Gus hat being they both have added alot to hat wearing in general, in the dress hats and western hats.

And I have heard so many western hatters say they made the Gus hat for the movie Lonesome Dove, and I hear other hatters claim to have made the IJ hat in one or the other IJ movies, they may be right, but I will give them the chance they did, the reason, they may have made some for extras in the film, or for some of the crew, and by doing that sort of brag and make it sound like they made all the hats, or just the ones that we all seem to notice in the movie by the main actors.

I never have held the real Gus hat, but I do know where it is and I could hold it and look it over all over, if I just ask to, both Art and I have a friend who has it and many others from his days as a wardrobe company to the movies.

Has anyone over at COW held the real IJ hat? took photos and measured this and that? if so I would like to look at the findings, I would like to be informed as what makes the IJ hat so differant from others.

Mike

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Has anyone over at COW held the real IJ hat? took photos and measured this and that? if so I would like to look at the findings, I would like to be informed as what makes the IJ hat so differant from others.
Actually, there is nothing extremely special about the Indy hat. Its proportions come very close to my Whippet actually, so it could easily be period correct. Specifically the hat from Raiders has a lot of idiosyncrasies, such as the uniquely warped brim, which is a result of turning or putting Ford's long oval head into an regular oval hat. The brim is also not a snap brim, but rather almost completely flat with a slight curl at the edge, and it is also an uncommon dimensionally cut brim as well. Also, to my knowledge, the Raiders hat is creased in a very unique fashion. Unlike most hats that have a concave bend to the crease from a side view, the Raiders hat is convex. Along with the super tight pinch, that makes the crease very unique already. The Temple and Crusade hats are more conventional, and are much more easily reproduced. To the untrained eye, the Raiders hat seems like a regular fedora, but there are undeniably very unique qualities about it, but none of those rest in its color or measurements.

K

Kaosharper1

Trekkers

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Um...well, being an Indie nutter is a lot like being a trekkie. Whether it is thus idiocy is a value judgment that each of us must make.

Trekkers don't really care about screen accuracy in the costuming like the Gearheads at COW. They just want to have fun with that. I've been to a couple of conventions and people there still come in with stuff that's only slightly better than Halloween costumes. They only get touchy about the facts in the stories.

MAB1

Suspended
Forgive me for name calling. I'm the idgit for that. The only time I remember anyone wearing a hat on "Star Trek" was when Spock had to hide his ears. :)

I'm a big Star Trek fan from day one. I also love the Indiana Jones flicks.

As a hat fan though... I'm into putting your own stamp on it. Brim up, brim down, turn the damn thing all the way around. Which ever way the shwoop suits ya.

Feraud

Bartender
Kaosharper1 said:
Trekkers don't really care about screen accuracy in the costuming like the Gearheads at COW. They just want to have fun with that. I've been to a couple of conventions and people there still come in with stuff that's only slightly better than Halloween costumes. They only get touchy about the facts in the stories.
I don't know about that. Trekkies appreciate their clothing accuracy as much as the next guy/gal.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Kaosharper1 said:

Ok, then IJ nutters are WAY WORSE! Are you happy now?!

MAB1

Suspended
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Ok, then IJ nutters are WAY WORSE! Are you happy now?!

Hey I'm Sorry. My original intent was to stop bashing and then... I took a shot at Trekkies. That makes me just as guilty. And I'm not proud of it.

I just wonder if back in the day, when everyone wore a hat... were they so snipey about the other's bash?

I doubt it.

I think we should all embrace the resurgence of the hat industry, and be thankful for it.

fletch31

Familiar Face
majormoore said:
Has anyone over at COW held the real IJ hat? took photos and measured this and that? if so I would like to look at the findings, I would like to be informed as what makes the IJ hat so different from others.

Mike
Hey Mike, there are several pics of the screen used hat owned by a private collector that was used in the Streets of Cairo scenes and others from Raiders posted over at COW. Its a bit worse for wear as it was beaten to heck but there is some valuable info if you want to know more about what made the raiders hat so special. The guy wont take measurements off it for free of fraudulent copycats but the specs are common knowledge now to most anyone interested anyway. A #52 block is the closest commercial block as far as I know to get a Raiders shape. It isnt 100% but will get you there 95% of the way in my opinion with the right bash. Copies of Steve Delk's doctored block is available from Lamode for fan that wants to order it as well. He has tweaked it slightly since then but made many Adventurebuilts off of it the same profile. He said the new tweaks are so slight that most would not notice the difference.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MAB1 said:
Hey I'm Sorry. My original intent was to stop bashing and then... I took a shot at Trekkies. That makes me just as guilty. And I'm not proud of it.
IJ fans vs. trekkies, wide brim vs. stingy, ARMY vs. squids I mean Navy...:D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
majormoore said:
I look at the Indy hat the same as the Gus hat being they both have added alot to hat wearing in general, in the dress hats and western hats.
Mike
Get ready here comes the stupid question, Did the Gus hat come about because of the movie or was it around historically?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana