Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BASICALLY FREE! Golden Bear G-1. Made in California; size 40.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
As an undergraduate at St Andrews University, Scotland, I got to spend a year at UC Berkeley, and absolutely *loved* it! While I was there I bought (used, of course!) a vintage shearling lined Golden Bear A2, which I also loved. That jacket has now gone to another home (it was always way too big for me, and so I never wore it, but I just couldn't resist it!) but it's left me with a deep affection for the old-school Golden Bear leather jackets that were actually made in California..... and so when I found this one I just had to rescue it, despite its condition, in the hope that it could find a good home here. Plus, I've benefited so much from this forum that I'm glad of a chance to help a fellow member out! :)

Despite its flaws--more on which later--this is still a terrific, wearable jacket. Likely dating from the late 1960s or early 1970s, this is a terrifically sturdy G-1 jacket, with a very warm and comfortable lining that's primarily wool. This jacket has lived its life to the full--there is flaking at the collar, as shown, some wear to the front and to the pockets, some small repaired nicks to the back, and so on. This is in Wearable condition, but nothing more.... but since it is wearable and easily has another decade or so of hard, careless use in it I couldn't bear to leave it. There's nothing at all wrong with the front zipper, for example, which is still beautifully fluid, and the lining is warm and comfortable. There's also no significant damage to any of the knits. This might well become your go-to jacket for the weekend and quick trips out! I'd happily keep it and wear it, but I need at least a 27" sleeve, and so this is just far too short in the arms...

Given that this is essentially part of my "breed rescue" programme for lovely vintage clothing, I'm asking just $19 boxed and shipped in the USA--basically, this is essentially free apart from shipping costs!

It's tagged a size 40, and measures:

Chest: 21
Seeve: 24 1/2 (35 measured like a shirt)
Shoulder: 20 1/2
Length (BOC): 23 3/4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters