Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Batsakes Hat Shop

Was posting info on another thread about a Borso I bought at Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati while traveling on business a few years back, and thought I'd give this wonderful establishment its own thread...What a great experience -- a venerable bricks and mortar establishment that has been around for going on 100 years. Gus Miller, the proprietor, is a pleasure to talk to and do business with. I could have stayed there all day talking hats. There is a sense of tradition about the place, and a commitment to the craft of hatmaking that is all too rare these days.

If any of you ever have the chance, don't miss the opportunity to pay a visit. You won't regret it.

Here are a couple of articles:

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/01/12/batsakes01-12-2004.html

http://www.cincypost.com/living/1999/hats011999.html

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, I said in Sharpetoys' thread I would try to visit this shop yesterday and I was indeed able to get there.

As with any downtown parking was hard to come by. As I went by the shop I took a quick photo of Gus working in front of the window. I drove around a bit before finding an open space that turned out to have a broken meter. I took a chance and parked there anyway. It was around the block from the shop. As I walked I noticed a lot of men of various ages wearing overcoats with nice shoes and trousers showing, perhaps the top of a tie... but nary a hat despite the cold. I was wearing a grey Stetson Weekender I picked up on eBay.

A woman greeted me when I entered. I'm sorry to say I did not find out who she was. I told her I'd read about the shop and came by to look around. He had lots of hats and caps by various makers, including some top hats on display. Along one wall was a old fashioned shoe-shine stand!

I tried on a Borsolino but it paled in comparison to my vintage one. After finding out my approximate size the woman had me try on a medium-brown hat with a dark brown ribbon, one that had been made by Gus. It was a hair too large, but very sweet. She said it was $200. I tried it on and looked in the mirror a couple of times, and she asked me if I liked it. I did. She went and talked to Gus, and came back and offered it to me for $170. That did it. My wife, Rhonda, had told me that if I found a hat I liked to get it as her anniversary present to me.

Gus took the hat, stamped my initials in it, and signed and dated it on the inside of the sweat band. I went over and got a shoe shine from Charlie ($3.00, plus tip) and then talked to Gus some more along with another customer.

Gus showed us letters he's received recently from President Bush and a former mayor of Portsmouth, OH, congratulating him on his shop's 100th year in business. He was a bit unhappy with the mayor of Cincinatti who had yet to acknowledge his existence. I don't blame him. How many businesses in Cincinatti can make the claim of having been there for 100 years, with a proprietor who has been working at his craft for 56 years?

As we talked a doorman from a nearby hotel came in to have his hat brushed off. It appeared to me to be a cross between a homburg and a top hat.

When I got home I modeled my new hat for Rhonda, whose big smile told me all I needed to know as to how she liked it one me. :D

Here are a few photos. I'll post photos of the hat in a different thread.

Enjoy!
Tom

Viewfromthestreet.jpg

The view from the street

BatsakesHatShop.jpg

The front of the store

LetterfromBush.jpg

The letter from President Bush

Gusworkingonahat.jpg

Charlieandhisshoeshinestand.jpg

Charlie at his shoe shine stand

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
TY --

See what I mean about feeling like you could just hang out there all day? What a great place, and Gus is a real treasure. Thanks for the update, and enjoy that new hat!

Cheers,
Jimmy

Markbcvg

New in Town

Hello All,

I'm new to the Lounge and am in downtown Cincinnati frequently and know the store. I have been meaning to get there and have a custom fedora made for months, but haven't done so yet.

The owner, Gus, likes to do business in person and has no email or web page.

Here is a recent article about Batsakes Hat Shop article in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The shop has been in business for 100 years this year.

Thanks,
Mark

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A letter to the Mayor

After giving the matter some thought I decided to write to the mayor of Cincinnati concerning Batsakes Hat Shop and Gus Miller. Here is that letter.

Dear Mr. Mallory,

I recently became aware of a wonderful institution in your city and had the opportunity to visit it and make a purchase there last Monday. I am speaking about a small shop that resides downtown which has been in business for 100 years. That shop is Batsakes Hat Shop at the corner of Sixth and Walnut. The proprietor and hatter is Gus Miller.

Mr. Miller is a remarkable craftsman the likes of which are rare indeed these days. There have been several stories about him and his shop in the Enquirer and the Post. Here are the links to those stories. They tell the story much better than I can.

http://www.hatlife.com/newsletters/2007/jan07_2/art2.htm

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/01/12/batsakes01-12-2004.html

http://www.cincypost.com/living/1999/hats011999.html

You have a jewel nestled in your downtown, Mr. Mayor. This shop brings customers from all over the US and even other countries into Cincinnati as their primary destination. As you will read in the articles he has made hats for many prominent men over the years. I am proud to say that I now own a Gus Miller hat as well. While I chatted with him he showed me letters he has received from a former mayor of Portsmouth, OH and from the President of the United States congratulating him on celebrating his shop's 100th year in business.

I don't know how many other businesses, if there are any others, in your city can make the same claim. If there are I doubt that they are small retail businesses. This is quite an accomplishment for any retailer but an even greater one when you consider how rare it is these days for men to wear the classic styles that include a well made hat.

I believe that the City of Cincinnati should recognize and celebrate this wonderful master craftsman and his shop's 100th year. I would like to suggest that you pay a visit to Mr. Miller at his establishment to congratulate him. While you are there you should try on a few hats. A hat completes a gentleman's outfit while being quite practical. A hat keeps your head warm in winter, dry in the rain, and shades your eyes in the sun. They look great, too! Perhaps you can help start a return to hats in Cincinnati. Such a trend might help minimize the sights I saw on Monday, i.e., well-dressed men in overcoats wearing knit caps to keep warm.

Respectfully yours,

Tom Yeager, SMSgt, USAF, Ret.
Lucasville, OH

I'll post any replies I may receive.

Cheers,
Tom

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tom,

Thanks so much. It's posts like yours that make
reading the Lounge worthwhile. Finding out so much
about a hatter I'd never heard of. It's like Shanghailander's
travelogues- a vicarious micro-vacation lead by a tourguide
who shares some of my interests.

J.B.

Practically Family
What terrific pics and a terrific thread from a bona fide caring gentleman!!

My best-est Bravo Zulu...
bravocc2.png
zuluub9.png

...to ya, Tango Yankee!
tangoqu2.png
yankeejd0.png

emohattipjv1.gif

vonwotan

Practically Family
Tango Yankee - Thank you for the thread and for sharing that letter with us. What a great idea. I don't really have the opportunity to visit Ohio these days, but after reading about and seeing the shop, and the hats, I think it may be worth a trip just to support a wonderful craftsman and small business.

Markbcvg

New in Town
Reply?

Tango Yankee said:
After giving the matter some thought I decided to write to the mayor of Cincinnati concerning Batsakes Hat Shop and Gus Miller.
Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

Have you received any reply from the Mayor?

Mark

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Markbcvg said:
Tom,

Have you received any reply from the Mayor?

Mark

Mark,

No, I haven't. I've decided that I'm going to send it as an actual letter. That might get more attention than just another e-mail in a flood of e-mails. Perhaps I should have gone that route in the first place. It'll have to wait a week, though. I just arrived in Medford, OR (Hi, Art!) for a short visit as one of the surprise guests at a surprise birthday party for the mother of a close friend of mine.

I have, however, obtained another very nice Batsakes hat via eBay. I'll add it to my list of hats and pins I need to photograph and post!

Cheers,
Tom

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Fantastic story, Senior! It's hearing things like this that make me want to hop-to and motor down to Cincinatti JUST to see his shop and shake his hand. Hope you hear something back from the Mayor sometime.

Regards, SSgt Worrick

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Very nice job

Tom,

let me congratulate you for doing this work for Gus Miller and that you spread his good image over the world.
The photos are phantastic. I wish all the best for Gus, this fine gentleman and Merry Christmas for you (its coming in less than 10 days)!

Kind Regards

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk