1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Bayrum

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by tmal, May 14, 2019.

1. tmal

tmal Familiar Face

Just bought a bottle of Pinaud Jamaica bay rum. Very disappointed. As a kid in the early 50's I can remember leaving to local barbershop smelling of bay rum. Who makes Bay Rum that smells like real Bay Rum?

2. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap One of the Regulars

3. tmal

tmal Familiar Face

anyone familiar with ogallala? I've read some good things about it?

4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I went through three bottles a few years ago. I personally liked the stuff very much. It's a sweeter fragrance than most. Some Bay Rum brands come too close to Old Spice, to my nose.

5. Polterer

Polterer New in Town

I like it a lot. Unfortunately there is no longer anyone selling it in the UK, so I'm back to making my own.

6. SimonR

SimonR One of the Regulars

7. Polterer

Polterer New in Town

Thanks.

Maguire's is where I used to buy it, but there have since been many reported problems buying from them now. These have been discussed in detail, in many forums.

A month or so ago, I emailed the proprietor of Ogallala in the USA to ask him if he would put me on to his authorised UK and EU outlets, but he replied telling me there are none.

If you've recently bought from Maguire's, I'd welcome a "customer service" update.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  8. SimonR

SimonR One of the Regulars

I haven't bought from them - was just about to but will hold off for now :)

9. Polterer

Polterer New in Town

The Ogallala owner was very clear about there being no European outlets and, in fact, the Ogallala website lists only North American places to buy it, either by mail or retail. The dwindling bottle I have gives witch hazel with alcohol as one of the ingredients, which means it can't easily (or cheaply) be shipped anywhere.

You could always email Maguires and see what they say, although I think it may be a waste of time.

SimonR likes this.