Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Be careful singing "My Way" in the Phillippines

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
http://www.spinner.com/2010/02/10/my-way-responsible-for-philippines-karaoke-deaths/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link7|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spinner.com%2F2010%2F02%2F10%2Fmy-way-responsible-for-philippines-karaoke-deaths%2F

Sorry folks, you'll have to copy and paste the above to read the story.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I caught that in The Times a couple days ago. Shows a lot of interesting things. First, people in some countries are CRAZY when it comes to karaoke, another reason not to like it.
But what I find interesting (and which I don't believe the article mentions) is that Sinatra hated the song. He just didn't like the attitude it portrayed, another reason to like Sinatra, in spite of whatever other reasons there may be not to like him.

Edward

Bartender
Chas said:
One should go with a crew, and do the Sid Viscious version.

Paul Anka is on record as having said that Sid Vicious captured the spirit of the song better than anyone else who recorded it, fwiw.

fenris

One of the Regulars
I'm from the Philippines and even I don't understand what causes people to go crazy over that song. There was a news show that tackled that question just last Sunday. Although, it usually just happens in seedy videoke (we call it that instead of karaoke) places where most of the patrons are super drunk. Not really a place for a gentleman (or any person in their right mind) to be in.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shed some light

"The Times attempts to shed some light on the subject matter, presenting a number of theories. The simplest, and perhaps most plausible, argues that the Philippines is a violent place, awash with more than a million illegal guns. It's also a society in love with karaoke, and 'My Way' is a hugely popular song. The combination of these factors means that it is statistically likely that violence will occur at some point during a performance of 'My Way.'

Another theory is that the song, with its somewhat swaggering, if not pompous, lyrics and attitude, leads to fights because of the atmosphere it creates. "'I did it my way' -- it's so arrogant," Butch Albarracin, the owner of Center for Pop, a Manila-based singing school tells the Times. "The lyrics evoke feelings of pride and arrogance in the singer, as if you're somebody when you're really nobody. It covers up your failures. That's why it leads to fights."

My Way:kick: NOT :eek: :eek: :eek:

Feraud

Bartender
I've always said karaoke and guns don't mix.
smilies-weapons-68.gif
singing-smileys-emoticons28.gif

Edward

Bartender
Shangas said:
Am I the only one who finds it funny that a song about a person's indivuality should spark so much controversy over how someone sings it?

lol. no, it's great, isn't it?

As I have in-laws from Manila I can say that it's an interesting phenomenone here as to Karaoke. At the homes of several of the relatives of my sister in law they have home karaoke set ups. The singing is spirited, empassioned and the crowd gets pretty excited. Luckily nobody there is drunk so i have yet to see any gunfights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner