Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty at Middle Age and Beyond

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking about Bette Davis and how she wasn't afraid to play the non-glamorous roles written for middle-aged women. Even so, she was a knock out and it's one of the reason I adore her so. These days it's rare to find a movie with any middle aged women playing a leading role, and if they are, they are playing either a depraved or desperate character (generally speaking here). Yes, Bette Davis did just that in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane," but her performance was so strong that I still was enamored by her; she was still a powerful force.

Can you think of other actresses and films that celebrate middle age in women, current or classic?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Angela Lansbury in "The Manchurian Candidate," playing the mother of an actor about three years her junior. Too bad the producers of the recent remake didn't get her to reprise the role, now that she's really the right age. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Oh yes

I love to see a woman in a film who is traditionally past Hollywood's ideal for an attractive female lead.
Jessica Lange. I fell in lust with her as a teen in the horrible King Kong, but thought she was far more attractive in O' Pioneers

Meryl Streep, as mentioned. In Bridges of Madison County, I thought she was enormously seductive.

Julianne Moore is now middle aged and has never been more beautiful.

I wish Jamie Lee Curtis would show up on screen more. She was older than the Hollywood norm in True Lies and was stunning.

Sandra Bullock is now 42. Very beautiful and still working.

Julia Roberts is 39 - a top Box Office star.

Perhaps the oldest working leading woman in romantic roles is Diane Keaton - at almost 60, she appeared semi-nude in Something's Gotta Give.

The enormous talent and skill of these actresses has kept them on screen. I was trying to think of some who have not continued to work, but I guess they are... forgotten!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Interesting article...

... in tomorrow's Washington Post about two women directors -- Nicole Holofcener and Mary Harron. They discuss the same point and add a few more to your list, Scott...

1. Katherine Keener
2. Patricia Clarkson
3. Frances McDormand
4. Diane Lane

Here's a link to the story: Women of Independent Miens

In addition to those four, I'd also add:

1. Emma Thompson
2. Juliette Binoche
3. Joan Allen

Baggers

Practically Family
Helen Mirren -- In addition to her other credits, she was the lead in the Prime Suspect series that ran on PBS here in the States. She's also coming up this month on HBO playing Elizabeth I.

One of my favorites.

Cheers!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hollywood is not kind to women and it never has been.

Mildred Pierce with Joan Crawford comes to mind, and so does All About Eve. Something's Gotta Give has been mentioned, and is one of those rare films that does put a woman of middle-age at the forefront.

She's never been a great, or even a particularly good actor, but I think Andie MacDowell still looks great.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
A middle-aged actress that I admire is Rene Russo..she plays characters that are both strong yet feminine..a true lady ;)
rene2.jpg

Irena

One of the Regulars
Myrna Loy. I'm not sure of her age when she played the mother in Cheaper By the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes, but she played the mother of 12 children.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's clear that

There really are a lot of working middle-aged and older actresses out there.

How could I have missed Andie MacDowell? Helen Mirren?

Know who is still attractive at - gosh, 108? Sophia Loren. Is she working in Italy?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm almost positive I read somewhere that Sohia Loren was in a movie not too long ago with her son...will have to look into that more :) I agree, she's for sure ageless.
Another actress that's aging well is Meg Ryan

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
On the opposite side of this, I watched "Johnny Guitar" recently, Nicholas Ray's crossover Western/Noir, and Joan Crawford was kind of on the border between sex symbol and older woman at the time. I didn't like it at all. Pick one or the other (in the nature of that particular role).

Some don't appear in films but they still did on TV in starring roles. Remember Jane Wyman in Falcon Crest and Joan Collins in Dynasty? Jane much more so than Joan of course but Falcon crest was sort of a mecca for older stars at that time. You saw Lana Turner, Gina Lollobrigida, Cesar Romero, Celeste Holm and Kim Novak. There just aren't many shows on now that showcase such talents.

Regards to all,

J

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Jack Scorpion said:
On the opposite side of this, I watched "Johnny Guitar" recently, Nicholas Ray's crossover Western/Noir, and Joan Crawford was kind of on the border between sex symbol and older woman at the time. I didn't like it at all. Pick one or the other (in the nature of that particular role).

Can a woman be older *and* sexy? I guess it's a matter of personal preference...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21