Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok ladies.

Some of us here are well....to be frank...poor as hell, and we want to have beauty products that work as well as our more spendy freinds.

So, here are the rules:

1.No product may cost over 10 dollars (or 5 pounds, or 7 euro, etc).
If you mention such a product, I will simply edit it away. There are -many- threads about general products, where those can be mentioned and recommended.

2.Please give the actual name of the product, so that others can go to the store and get it! "well revlon has this odd cleaner in the blue bottle' is not helpful for finding it in the store.

3. Please tell is what it does, how it feels, etc.... In short, describe why its wonderful. If there is something specific to know like what skin type its best for, include that.

Have fun telling us the joys of cheap beauty..

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Woo hoo, a Beauty Thread I can afford to contribute to!

I love love love St. Ives Collagen-Elastin Moisturizer -- been using it for at least ten years now, and I'm told my skin does *not* look 43 years old (even my doctor tells me this, and he's not the flirting type.). It's $3.95 or so for a tub that last for months and months, it goes on smooth, leaves my face soft, and makes a swell base for powder on those days when I don't want to bother with foundation. What's not to like?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay!

Well, being of the financially disadvantaged, all of my products tend to be under $7 (US).

Moisturizer:
logo_cbf.jpg

A bottle can be about $4 (US)

Also for spot Moisturizer:
CBF-Swivel-Stick.jpg

$.99 (US) at Walgreens :) Its great for everything from the lips to your feet, to knuckles on your hands.

This is my special trick for healthy skin condition.
OILBUR.GIF

Burdock root oil. A bottle can be around $6 (US) for about half an ounce. Its great for scalp skin, and even the face.

For acme (which I still have at 28 :rage: )
gel90.jpg

Its $8 per tube, but a tube can last for months.

For face moisturiser I use a Loreal sunscreen. Its about $7 and lasts forever.

Thats what I use. Cheap and good stuff.

LD :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Woot! A thread in my price range! Hmm.. being kind of beauty product deficient I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm looking forward to trying out some of these when I can!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Stuff I've owned or own and I looove:

Maybelline Mousse foundation about $7 or $8!!
200.jpg

Feels lovely and amazing--good for oily and combination skin types too! Doesn't go too wonkey by the end of the day.

Wet and Wild #509A $1!!!!
(I absolutely adore this shade. More so than my more pricey brands)
Amazingly when used with matching lip liner (also $1) it lasts ALOT longer than all o fmy other lip products.

Noxema $5 for the big jar!
(I thought this pic was cute >.<)
Girl_1.jpg

Rimmell Extra Super Lash Mascara $3
200.jpg

Not too clumpy and gets your lashes nice and thick and BLACK. ;)

Origins Spot Remover $10
beatSkincareBlemish_ControlOrigins_Spot_Remover-resized200.jpg

Blemish blasting awesomeness. It's not good for sensitive skin because it has 1% Salysilic (sp? i've worked at Origins for 7 months now and I still can't spell or pronounce it correctly >.<) acid in it.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I can't go anywhere without this:

CD-0231.JPG

Over the years I have undoubtedly built up a physical addiction to lipbalm as I do *have* to reapply it several times a day. The aloe vera version is a bit more luxurious than the regular blue one. But it doesn't last as long. But at 90p per tin (that lasts about a year), who cares!

Rosie

One Too Many
-How about free? (sort of)

1 empty spray bottle (can be had for about .99 cents) I have a bunch of these around the house

Hot Water (free from the tap)

Dried rosemary leaves (free if you cook and if not, can be had for about 3 bucks)

make a "tea" of the rosemary leaves, drain off leaves, pour tea into spray bottle- a good dandruff deterent and soothing to the skin.

-Goat's Milk Soap
SoapsBathGroup.jpg

www.udderdelight.com

Great stuff, I made the decision to be as natural as possible, that included things that went into and ONTO my body. Love this stuff, only 4.99.

Khoret Amen Hair Oil -8.00- CarolsDaughter.com
khoret-amenhairoil.jpg

I don't buy many things at Carol's Daughter now that she is huge and jacked all her prices up (back in the day this was 4 bucks for the LARGE bottle) but, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Khoret Amen oil especially in summer when my fro is out and the sun beats down on my head, it smells SO good.

Kim_B

Practically Family
e.l.f.

So far I've only tried the Smoothing Lip Gloss, and while it is very sticky and very well, glossy, it is wonderful feeling on your lips. It smells good too! I have Pixie, and honestly I got it as a free gift with one of my eBay purchases. It isn't really my color, but I'm thinking of buying a few other colors.

All of the cosmetics on this website are around $1, and they do not test on animals, they use natural ingredients, and they support a few charities too.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I really like La Femme.

The price is right at under $5.00 for lipstick ( I like Tangerine, Sunset Orange, Bittersweet and Cranberry) and the rouge which is $3.50 (Russet and Cinnabar are the two I am currently using).

I get them at Makeup Mania www.makeupmania.com

I did some research on the history of the company and they have been around a long time. The used to cater to the movie/theater trade. The colors are highly pigmented and long lasting.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
crystalface said:
Stuff I've owned or own and I looove:

200.jpg

Feels lovely and amazing--good for oily and combination skin types too! Doesn't go too wonkey by the end of the day.

I love this foundation as well, and I keep telling freinds. Its my 'everyday' foundation, because you end up using so little, but it covers the unevens really well!

My other bargains would be

Carmex: oh the joys. Its the -best- lip balm, that can also be pressed into use for cuctcle moisturising, dry elbow rescuing. Its less then two dollars in a little yellow capped tub. I am a lip balm addict, and I keep trying others, but I really should just give up and not bother.

Keep the ideas coming!

GOK

One Too Many
Lush - Angels on Bare Skin (around 3.65 GBP). Facial cleanser and exfoliator. Made with essential oils, ground almonds and lavender. Completely cruelty-free and vegan. Plus it works wonders. One of my 'desert island' must-haves. A small pot lasts ages! Oh, plus you can get free samples of it if you go instore and ask!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if I'm financially disadvantaged, but I am a notorious cheapskate. lol I'm also a product junkie so this is my kind of thread!

Count me in as another Carmex addict! I love the stuff and have tubs of it everywhere.

Of course the Coty Airspun powder.
200.jpg

I was previously using more expensive powders, but this does the same job just as well if not better, for 1/4 of the cost! $7 for a huge container that lasts forever. I use the translucent extra coverage instead of foundation on many days, it lasts all day, doesn't turn orange, and hasn't caused any breakouts. Plus, it is a vintage product! Smells nice and the container even looks pretty sitting on a countertop. What's not to like?

Nivea hand cream, the German-made kind. I buy the small .88 cent blue metal tins at Wal-mart and keep them everywhere - bedside table, purse, makeup bag. They're perfect for moisturizing hands and areas like elbows or feet, and in a pinch could be used as a heavy duty facial moisturizer/protectant.

Bigelow_Rose_Salve-resized200.jpg

I'm also a big fan of C.O. Bigelow rose salve, $5.50 at Bath & Body Works. Great as a lip balm and can be used also as cuticle salve, etc., like Carmex. The packaging is cute and vintage as well.

655006.jpg

Vita C+ Antioxidant skin serum, $6 at Sally Beauty Supply. Smells fantastic, very lightweight vitamin C moisturizer that can be used alone or combined with your regular moisturizer. I use this morning and night under my regular moisturizer and night cream. One squirt from the pump covers my face, so the bottle lasts a long time. I'll probably try their night cream when I run out of my Olay Regenerist.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
200.jpg

Queen Helene Mint Julep mask, $4 at most stores. This is a miracle mask, and generally the only one I use. It is dirt cheap and it works. It isn't uncomfortable, it smells nice, and it really cleans your skin, shrinks pores, and just feels great. Great for acne. It is also a 1930s product. This is, by far, the best mask I have ever used. I also love the Queen Helene mud mask, more gentle but still very cleansing and a nice scent - the packaging is brown and it runs about the same price.

B0001VKWEC.01-A3EVWIEDD3GII2._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle cream, $5 at most stores or online. Very nice hydrating cuticle cream for a good price. Pleasant lemony scent and the tin lasts a loooong time. I use this in the mornings after I apply my Nivea hand cream. Apply a dab to each cuticle, massage it in, and let it soak in while I drive to work.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
crystalface said:
200.jpg

Ok I've got questions for those of you that use the dream matte mousse. How do you apply it? I've read the reviews on MUA and some recommend a brush - but isn't it a liquid? I'm interested in trying it, if it works for fair skin and isn't too drying.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Exfoliator

How's this for a good price: free! When the cornmeal in my cupboard gets out of date, I use it as a pumice on my hands to exfoliate them. I just mix it with some Jason hand cleanser and water, rub it all over my hands, rinse, and apply moisturizer.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Kim_B said:
e.l.f.

So far I've only tried the Smoothing Lip Gloss, and while it is very sticky and very well, glossy, it is wonderful feeling on your lips. It smells good too! I have Pixie, and honestly I got it as a free gift with one of my eBay purchases. It isn't really my color, but I'm thinking of buying a few other colors.

All of the cosmetics on this website are around $1, and they do not test on animals, they use natural ingredients, and they support a few charities too.

I just checked that site out. Wow! I can't believe the products are only $1. I'm definitely going to try a few out. I like how you can click one of their "looks" and just click "buy it" and it adds all the products to your cart. Super cool!

roots66

One of the Regulars
Drugstore madness

Eye makeup remover: Almay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover Pads to start the process, good ol' Vaseline and Q-tips to swipe up the racoony mess the Almay pads tend to leave behind under the eyes. In a pinch, Vaseline alone, but this eats up many more Q-tips. On those days when I use Revlon Colorstay eyeliner on the lower lids, Revlon Colorstay Eye and Lip Makeup Remover works best, albeit stings just a bit...it's also good for correcting minor liquid eyeliner mishaps on those spazzy days.

Cleansers: Dove Sensitive Skin bars (green lettering, unscented) in the shower--a habit from childhood. I don't think I've found the perfect night cleanser yet, but right now I'm alternating between Olay Daily Facials cloths (cut in half), Olay Daily Facials Smooth Skin Exfoliating Scrub, and L'oreal Hydrafresh Daily Foaming Cream Scrub.

Facial mask: Olay Daily Facials Clay Mask once a week or so. (Can't seem to find Queen Helene here in Toronto.)

Moisturizers: Olay Complete SPF 15 by day, though I should probably up it to 30. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion at night...I'm cheating as this is usually 12 bucks or so, but it's way cheaper than most night creams and the most effective one I've yet tried. Not for the faint of heart as it stings for the first couple of minutes (it's got AHA), but it really helps clear up old zit scars and prevent new blemishes from forming, and my face has never been softer. The jury's out on the effectiveness of Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Intensive Eye Cream, though.

Body: Life Cocoa Butter Body Scrub about once a week (Shopper's Drug Mart brand...one of these days I'll splurge on the Body Shop's comparable product just to see if it's any better). For lotions I alternate between Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula, Vaseline Intensive Care Extra Strength (white bottle, unscented) and Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter (brown bottle). Vaseline IC is force of habit more than anything else as it's what my Moms used, but they happen to work well for me.

Shampoo: Currently washing my way through two bottles of discontinued Clairol Herbal Essences, about $2.25 each as I recall.

Lip Balm: Chapstick Lip Moisturizer w/SPF 15 in the light blue tube. Nicer, less waxy texture than the classic black tube variety...good on its own or under lipstick.

Deodorant: Dove Sensitive Skin. I'm contemplating searching for a non-aluminum product, but they're so damned costly.

Haven't found the right foundation yet, so I skip it. If the Neutrogena lotion keeps working I may never need it.

Concealer: Right now having luck with Revlon Colorstay Undereye Concealer in Light, and not just under my eyes.

Loose Powder: Can't find classic Coty anywhere up here, but NYC Loose Translucent works well in a pinch--$2.79!!! Wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't come highly recommended on makeupalley.com, but so far it's been pretty darn good, both in terms of coverage and keeping the oilies at bay--albeit not nearly as cutely packaged as Coty.

Pressed Powder: Revlon Colorstay in Light.

Rouge: Revlon Powder Blush in Blushed or Tawny Peach, but the staying power ain't that great--any suggestions?

Eyeshadow: I'm a klutz with it and I don't think I've found the best colors yet, but it's usually Revlon Colorstay or L'Oreal Wear Infinite if I dare, in shades of beige or white.

Eyeliner: The one cosmetic I cannot do without, and black as can be, baby. L'Oreal Lineur Intense (brush applicator) was the first liquid liner I ever tried over a decade ago when I realized pencil would never get me the vintage glam look I wanted...and rarely have I felt the need to stray. On spazzier days I supplement it with Rev's Colorstay liquid--it's sometimes easier to draw the little upsweep at the end with Rev's applicator. I know liner on the lower lids is a no-no for most of you, but I often like the oomph it provides (I'm probably more of a '60s gal than most of ya). When I use it, it's Rev's Colorstay pencil. It does smudge after a few hours, but it smudges the least of any brand I've tried. For this reason, and in homage to their classic '50s ad campaigns, I tend to be partial to Revlon products overall.

Mascara: Currently having pretty good luck with Rimmel Lycra Lash Extender, but keep hearing good things about Cover Girl's Lash Exact...hopefully Shopper's will put it on sale soon 'cause the Rimmel tube is starting to dry out.

Lips: Vary my shades depending on my mood and the era I most want to evoke that day, but the brands are usually (sense a pattern here?) Rev or L'oreal. Rev Super Lustrous faves include Ginger Rose (my "your lips but better" shade), Rose Velvet, Nude Velvet, Scarlet Velvet, Pink in the Afternoon, Mad About Mauve, and Bed of Roses. Also dig L'Oreal Endless in Crimson Joy, Saucy Sangria and In the Buff, and the L'Oreal Color Riche LE in Buttoned Up Red (also have the other reds in their "Scarlett" promotion, but they're so bright I haven't dared wear them out of the house yet).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points