Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bee Hat Company (now with images)

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
ortega76 said:
Beautiful hats.

Thanks. I will provide more information, links, etc in the merchants section once everything is sorted out and the hats start coming in. These were actually quite a find, and will be exclusive to us until they are gone. I suspect that the prices to the public will be about half of the factory price tags inside the hats. I expect a feeding frenzy. I don't even know how many fur felts we will be getting, because they have to be sorted out of the rest (30,000 total) of the wool and straw hats.
Disclaimer: This is not an advertisement for anything for sale. At this point, this discussion thread is to show off what I am purchasing, and to get input from others about Bee hats.

Fedora

Vendor
If you have the Bee Indy 500 model in a 7 1/4, I am interested. I bought one years ago, and would just want it as a collectable to add to my other Indy fedora knockoffs. Fedora

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Duane, I'd love to find an olive hat with a 2.5" brim or so in a 7 1/4.

Ain't it great to have people picking over your inventory before it even gets in the door??

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
thefedorastore said:
I don't even have them yet. I appreciate all of the positive response. I will post pics, prices etc in the merchants section once I have my hands on them. Bee Hat Co. manufacturered hats from 1926 to 2004. I will have to have my hands on them before I can determine the age of the NOS. They are currently mixed in with a pile of 30,000 hats including wool felts and straws, which I am not purchasing. Hang in there with me, because loungers will have first crack at this inventory before it goes public on our website. I will make a non-published category on thefedorastore where everyone here can pick it apart before I flip the "go public" switch.

Duane
You're kind considerations are greatly appreciated and I, more likely WE, look forward to the debut of said headwear with wonderous expectation and unbridled glee!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thefedorastore said:
This thread is to show off what I am purchasing, at this point in the game, and to solicit feedback from lounge members about Bee Hat Company quality and desire to own.

Ah, thanks for the photos, Duane and the explanation.

As for Bee Hat Company quality and desire to own, I would
also be curious to hear what Bee hat owners think. I own
two. One is probably from the 50s and the other may be 60s.
The hats are good, without being exciting in any way. Both are
relatively stingy brim hats.

I just stopped to put on the 50s "Supreme Quality" $10 (original
tag still on) "Beaver Blend" NOS or nearly NOS hat. Charcoal gray, 2" brim,
teardrop crown. It's a very well made hat. I do like it. But the
felt is not wonderful- it's a bit thick and rough to the touch.

The other is a thin felt called "The Chase". I need to play
with the block a bit- it looks odd at the moment. What I like
about it is that it has a nice wide, roomy crown. Again, solid.
The felt has some odd inclusions in it, like some hay fell into
the felting process.

So not at all my favorite brand of hats, but pretty good nonetheless.
Two hats are not enough to characterize a brand and I have never
seen a wide brim Bee hat. What do others have?

squid

One of the Regulars
I'm very interested. Christmas is around the corner, and I was thinking of buying a nice hat for my stepfather.

Did Bee produce the "Bee Cool" line of straws? I have one of those dirt-cheap farmworker hats of theirs, the kind with the green plastic visor incorporated into the front of the brim, and I've seen that brand name on somewhat higher-quality straws as well. Duane, if your source has any of the better straws, they'd find a receptive market, I'd bet.
'Course, I could be dead wrong about that. Wouldn't be the first time.
BTW, you still thinkin' on hitchin' up the wagon and moseyin' out West?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thefedorastore said:
I don't even have them yet. I appreciate all of the positive response. I will post pics, prices etc in the merchants section once I have my hands on them. Bee Hat Co. manufacturered hats from 1926 to 2004.

Duane

I can't help feeling a little sad about the passing of a hat company that was in business for so long. I'm glad that a good guy like Duane was able to get the remaining stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto