Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beer and Ale - Poll & Personal Favorites

Beer style favorites

• Total voters
I'd like to hear from the Loungers as to their make up in
if you like beer or don't,
your favorite brews
beer styles as related to what type of bread you like to eat.

Those of you that are familiar to beer and ale from strictly a drinking standpoint tend to have a different view of beer and ale from a brewing standpoint.

Please note if you are a home brewer or strictly a purchaser of beer.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi John

Male
Like Beer
Favorite beer WAS Goose Island Brown Ale, but they quit making it. I've loved Newcastle brown ale and Guinness for years. In summer I drink Budweiser with Zing Zang bloody Mary Mix in it.
I like Rye Bread, with the Caraway seeds in it. I especially like the patty-melt made with Rye bread. I was a home brewer, but the wife can't stand the smell. Brown ales are pretty easy to brew at home too. Personally, Budweiser IS a lite beer. I also buy Lite beer from Miller to cook sausage in, and to make red beers.

Last edited:
Male - Ale lover. I have an extensive back ground in Home brewing but have not participated in many years now. I prefer Heavy ales, aggressively hopped pale ales IPA's and dark ales. I have moved away from most light lagers over time.

{My controversial view is I see no point in Lite beer or dry beer, those beers are for people that actually don't like the taste of beer.}

As to favorites - Stone Brewing tends to lead for me, Dogfish, Sierra Nevada and Anchor are in the mix. There are many small brewers in the US that are making fine specialty ales. I like English style ales and California style ales (hops). Shying away from Belgian ales where the yeast gives it the musty basement aroma / flavor. I like Guinness. i also enjoy blending different styles of beer to build and shape the flavor profile.

When seeking flavor, I recommend observing better temperatures as in not so cold and pouring from the bottle to the pitcher to release the CO2. One of the reasons draft beer is better has to do with lower CO2 levels. Too crisp and fizzy also adds an acidic acid from the CO2 in solution making for more tart to sour with the bittering hops. Too cold masks the malt and hops flavor.

I like dark breads like pumpernickle and hearty grain breads too. Love both types of Rye German and Jewish.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm a Hop Head.

Just a few of my faves:

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Dogfish 60

Stone IPA

Three Floyds Alpha King

Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Titan IPA

{My controversial view is I see no point in Lite beer or dry beer, those beers are for people that actually don't like the taste of beer.}
I've been singing this song for years.:D

Chas

One Too Many
I like Lagers. How dare you lump them in with lite beers?! I would put them with Pilseners, but to associate them with lite beer is an insult! I will have satisfaction from you, sir! ~slaps him with his glove~

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Sex: Yes
Do I like beer?? : Is the pope Catholic?
My faves are dark beers like Guiness Stout. As to lighter beers, I like Bass Pale Ale, Japanese beers such as Kirin and Sapporo, and wheat brews in hot weather with a twist of lemon.
EDIT: Forgot the bread part: I like that German rye bread that looks like a brick. Mestemacher. It's just mostly all whole kernel rye. Also like black bread and dark pumpernickel.

Last edited:

rue

Sex: yes (good answer Maj. Danger ;) )
Do I like beer: Yes, if it's ice cold..... heck I just like liquor period :p
Favorites are: Kirin, Grolsch, Blue Moon and Rolling Rock, but if someone hands me a cold beer on a hot day I don't care what it is ;)
Bread: San Francisco Sourdough

I didn't choose anything because I think I'm all over the place.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I selected all but "Beer is terrible!"
Sex: It would be nice
Beer: Yes, I like both kinds, ales and lagers!
No favorites, as you'll always find something different in my 'fridge from week to week, though if I had to go with one, I'd say Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Brad

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not much of a drinker at all, really -- the result of growing up in a hard-boiled Prohibitionist family -- but I do like Guinness very very much, so much that I can down a full pint in two glugs. And then I fall soundly asleep.

I'm not much of a drinker at all, really -- the result of growing up in a hard-boiled Prohibitionist family -- but I do like Guinness very very much, so much that I can down a full pint in two glugs. And then I fall soundly asleep.

I tended to get stimulated by beer first, it has kept me up all night. But these days it now tend to relax me and let me sleep.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I selected all but "Beer is terrible!"
Sex: It would be nice
Beer: Yes, I like both kinds, ales and lagers!
No favorites, as you'll always find something different in my 'fridge from week to week, though if I had to go with one, I'd say Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Brad

What Brad said - well, maybe I'd swap Youngs for the Samuel Smiths.
I used to work near the Youngs brewery in the 90's and they still used the horse drawn dreys to deliver to local pubs.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Male
I am not a big beer fan (I prefer wine or mixed drinks [nothing sweet though]) however, I do like beer with certain kinds of food. I really enjoyed having Pilsner with my meals in Prague, and Perroni goes very well with spicy southern Italian food (although I prefer wine). I also like Guinness. I am open to experimentation.

QTYWW2

New in Town
Im 28 and yes I enjoy beer
My fav. is Harp but I also like Bass, Guinness, Newcastle, and leinenkugel's also once in a while I will stock the fridge with Sam Adams
I know its not beer but also from time to time I like ciders such as amber woodchuck

noonblueapples

Familiar Face

My wife liked Guinness very very much, but was so outraged when she realized a pint can was no longer an actual pint that she switched to Murphys.

J C Nash

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm new here, so this is a wonderful place to start.

Yes, I like beer very much thankyou. I'm English, I'm not sure that we're allowed not to like it.

I'm 42, male and my favourite beers tend to be what we call real ales here in the UK, do you have that terminology elsewhere? Basically, good quality, traditional ingredients, cask conditioned, etc.

Favourite brands, well I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful brewery just down the street called the The Frog Island Brewery. Other favourites would be Hook Norton, Badger and Shepherds Neame.

I do tend to go for heavier beers, but in fine weather I am quite partial to a pale ale. I was brought up on my grandfather's favourite, Youngers Pale Ale, but unfortunately they ceased trading years ago.

And they do need to be at room temperature of course, chilling of any kind destroys any flavours.

Nice to meet you all,
Nash.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Female
Age - N/A

I like all dark beers, but am very loyal Yuenglings - from PA. America's OLDEST brewery. They make a quite fine Porter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112