Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff Howard Blouson

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I haven't examined this particular jacket, but I assume that it is of the same construction as other Belstaff jackets of recent era. They are fashion items, rather than functional clothing IMO. If that's what you want and you're happy to pay the price, go for it. If you're not going to put it to hard use, it should be fine.

Alan

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
If you're not going to put it to hard use, it should be fine.

Is that "Hard use" as in falling off a motorcycle, or "Hard use" as in tramping all over the place in all weathers and not being overly concerned about giving it a coat of Pecards every time it gets wet?

Jovan

Suspended
This thread is three years old.

I repeat. THREE YEARS OLD.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I think it's a shame they won't be selling many of these in the States. Look very well made and stylish.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doc...

I think the Belstaff 'vintage inspired' jackets are in the same market as the likes of Paul Smith..etc. They are designed to look good in the High Street and in the Night Club..etc, but they are 'not' utility items (in type of leather or price). Just feel some of the leather you get on the likes of the Gucci jackets and tell me if it would stand up to a scrape from a thorn bush [huh] let alone catching on a piece of mechanics or avionics. They are created to look 'good to the eye' like a well bulled pair of ammunition boots on Horse Guards, but would not perform well in the field.

I don't know what price you are speaking of for one of these 'Aviator'esque' jackets, but I'd imagine they do not come cheap (?).

I thought you already had a Barnstormer Doc? (or am I confusing you with someone else?). Well the FQHH (heavy) by Aero in the Barnstormer, is also (or was) available in shaved down 'light' FQHH, which could be customised for you into a similar 'Aviator' jacket by Aero (as it seems to be a blend of a number of jacket styles, which Aero do already). Just a thought, and would be cheaper I daresay than the Gucci/Belstaff type high st. wear.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Something rather similar has happened to a good deal of what Barbour has to offer these days.

Alan Eardley said:
I haven't examined this particular jacket, but I assume that it is of the same construction as other Belstaff jackets of recent era. They are fashion items, rather than functional clothing IMO. If that's what you want and you're happy to pay the price, go for it. If you're not going to put it to hard use, it should be fine.

Alan

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Google is my friend, Jovan. ;)

Thanks for your input, Paddy. From what you and Alan have said I don't think that this beastie will do after all. It's a shame, but much better to find out before the event than after since I think we're talking a fairly hefty chunk of cash to buy one retail. Fashion leather can be a beautiful thing, but a jacket that rips easily is going to be a waste of money for me.

I do indeed have a Barnstormer, and like it very much, but it's a bit too warm for wearing on the ground in summer! My Eastman Irvin is the only brown jacket I have at the moment and I fancied expanding my wardrobe a bit for the fateful day when she has to enter hibernation.

I shall start looking at other options, I think. Thanks to you both for the input,and I think we should chalk this one up as another win for the Lounge's incredible knowledge base. :eusa_clap

By the way, after Paddy's boot analogy I'm now stuck with the mental picture of someone crouched over a jacket with a tin of Kiwi, lighter and rag, working long into the night to be ready for an early-morning hop. Pass the spoon... lol

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The thing to remember about recent Belstaff jackets is that they are made (or appear to be made) of Italian-style hide. It is processed to be lighter, more supple and smoother than the grade of hide that (say) Aero uses. That's how they like it in Italy. It can be surprising and disappointing if someone is expecting a heavier, 'tougher' hide. The jacket didn't sell well outside Italy, from what I can make out.

Have you considered an Aero Bootlegger in brown? Or, more extreme, I believe that Wested was planning a Rocketeer jacket with a more pronounced lancer front.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy