Belstaff Jacket age ??

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jemcab, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jemcab

Jemcab New in Town

IMG_6905.JPG Hi, Trying to date a Belstaff vulcanised rubber jacket. 2 zippers have evidence of replacement. They used a lightening and No5 ykk for replacements. The original on the left (right in pic) pocket is a Great Britain Aero zipper.
    The seams are quite crude in there sealing. Belstaff customer 'experts' don't help for jackets before 1980.
    Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

1950s/60s.

Jemcab likes this.
  3. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

Looks like a chinese fake to me!

;) Only kidding. The early version of their current logo came in 1968/69 apparently so its clearly before that. There is a jacket with the same logo featured here, but no date unfortuantely.

Just found this book on the brands history which you can view online, might be something in that if you want to go through the older photos, there does look similar in there from the 60s, the 'Plasticon' suit.

Jemcab likes this.
  4. Jemcab

Jemcab New in Town

Thanks !! There are few for sale that have the same design tag that say 40's. I would have to assume they might be guessing, with out proof.

5. l0fielectronic

The logo looks like that kind of era or earlier to me, but the adverts and jackets I found in a quick search didn't seem to match.

Then I had a look at the book linked above again, and in the advertisment on page 17 that logo is used on an advert from the 1930s, which also mentions vulcanised rubber/leather jackets so I guess it might indeed be earlier.

Jemcab likes this.
  6. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

Aero Zippers was established in the UK in the 1930s by Joachim Koppel, a refugee from Nazi Germany. However the zippers were not seen in quantities until after the War, when they were commonly used on motorcylce and flight jackets in the 1950s.

Edward and Jemcab like this.
  7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Logos are not always a good clue of age. Some labels/logos are used across decades and sometimes old logos are re-used after a break.

Jemcab likes this.
  8. l0fielectronic

Yes that does happen.