Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts and Belt Buckles

Mycroft

One Too Many
What is the deal with the younger generation after WWII wearing their belts buckles over their hips? As seen bellow in West Side Story:

wise_westsidestory.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually know the origin of this look, although I'm sure it was lost somewhere along the way. Supposedly, young tough guys wore the buckle to the side so the belt could be easily pulled off to be used as a weapon!
...........or something!
flat-top

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have a book of old Daily News photograph. In it is a photograph from 1938 two teenage boys hanging out at a taxi dance hall. Both wear their belts buckle-on-the-side. Both of their belts are jeweled and studded as well. This was a popular style for motorcyclists (and aspiring motorcyclists) of the day.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Yo FT!
All of my books are packed for my big five block move next week (fingers crossed, closing on a small condo on Tuesday), but I'll scan the photo when it's all over and settled.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
That photo looks like it belongs in a West Hollywood/Castro District bar, if you know what I mean ...

I got it Marc. That reminds me of a great Simpsons episode when Homer meets Fidel Castro and he says:

FIDEL
America loves me. They named a street after me in San Francisco.

(a man walks up to Castro and whispers something in his ear, Fidel immediately looks shocked)

FIDEL
It's full of what?!?

It is one of the funniest episodes of the Simpsons.

Now back to subject

--

It seems as though kids have a thing for "turned sideways" think the early nineties sideways baseball cap fad.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I know folks that actually do this

and most of them are banjo pickers.

Buckles can really scratch up the back of an instrument. If you look at used guitars and other strummed instruments, you'll often see scratches all over the middle of the back of the instrument, caused by the belt buckle.

However, I don't think this reason was the impetus for the characters in the picture above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points