Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ben Nye Makeup

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Has anyone here used or heard of Ben Nye makeup? I was flipping through my husbands car kulture Deluxe magazine and I found an article on Pin Up makeup. It's an interview between Sabina Kelley and Jennifer Corona who is a makeup artist. She mentioned BenNye as one of her favourite makeup brands. I have researched it and I really like what I'm finding so far. http://www.bennye.com/
Has anyone had any experiences with this brand?

Blondie

Practically Family
Looks interesting, but i have had little success ordering from swatches on websites ,
i need to see the colours in real life on me before choosing a lipstick or foundation.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Crisplock said:
I'm familiar with Ben Nye and have used it for film, print and for my own personal make up. What would you like to know? I like it.
This correct. Ben Nye is a stage/theatrical make-up. If you are prone to zits/breakouts this might not be for you. It's great for photo shoots, fliming ect but a bit too heavy for daily wear unless you are trying to cover up scars.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
This correct. Ben Nye is a stage/theatrical make-up. If you are prone to zits/breakouts this might not be for you. It's great for photo shoots, fliming ect but a bit too heavy for daily wear unless you are trying to cover up scars.

I would disagree. They have a full line - and that includes powder, eyeshadow, powder blush,s water/powder foundations, lipstick, liners, mascara, brush cleaner, etc. All of which just fine for any skin.

I think you must be refering to the cream foundations only, and a heavy application at that.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
That's great. I'm so glad to have found so many people familiar with this brand. I'd really like to order a few things but I don't know where to order. I have found a few Ben Nye items on eBay but I'd like more selection. I'd like to get a concealer wheel and some kind of foundation and then a setting powder. Perhaps a creme blush wheel, and a lipgloss wheel and some eyeshadows. The lipgloss and eyeshadow wheels would make fantastic stocking stuffers.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I am a fan of Ben Nye. I have an eyeshadow palette from them that is just matte neutrals and I always end up using at least one color on almost every job. The colors are quite pigmented and a little goes a long way.

While it is true that they have a theatrical line that is meant to be used for theater work, some print and commercial work, they also have a few products that can be worn "everyday".

They have a concealer wheel which is great so you can customize your own color as your complexion changes as the seasons change. I have a few shades of their creme foundation which is lovely. Again, a little goes a long way with these products.

I would also highly recommend their Banana-color Visage Poudre Luxury Powder which is their setting powder. I go through that stuff like crazy! It's so soft and velvety, and the yellow shade is stunning on every complexion except for medium-dark to dark complexions. It adds a little warmth to the skin without actually adding color, and sets the creme makeup well.

I was assisting a senior artist on a Carl's Jr. commercial shoot about three years or so ago when she asked me to please fill her powder bowl with some loose powder to touch up the talent with. Since I didn't feel comfortable going through her kit, I just put some of my Ben Nye Banana powder and took it back to her. After she came back from the set, she asked me what powder I had put in her touch up bowl because it was so incredibly soft and blended into that actors skin so well. When I told her it was the $7.00 Ben Nye banana powder, she thought I was lying. She said she could have sworn it was Chanel. That's how nice it is!

I should think you could locate some Ben Nye on Ebay for a decent price, or this site http://www.stageandtheatermakeup.com/bennye.htm?gclid=CISw-p2Smp0CFR0SagodlhGX_w The prices here are comparable to what I pay when I go to the supply stores out here in Hollywood.

Let us know if you decide to get any and how you like it!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Fantastic! Thank you so much. Banana powder sounds fantastic. I will probably get some foundation, banana powder, a concealer for blue, a concealer for red, a blush wheel, and perhaps an eyeshadow palette and a ligploss wheel. It's so hard! I want it all!

Rebecca - Thanks for the link. Have you tried the creme foundations yourself? Are they heavy or do they blend easily to allow for light coverage. Right now I am using BareMinerals which used to work GREAT. Now I get orange peel skin....yuk. Are there any BenNye foundations you can recommend?

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
My pleasure Marie-Anne :)

As far as the foundation goes, I only have the creme one Ben Nye makes. They are a medium-full coverage, but if you thin it down with moisturizer you can make it alot thinner (I like to get a pea-sized amount of foundation on the back of my hand, then a few strokes of the foundation with my foundation brush and mix it in with the moisturizer and make a nice, creamy and lighter version of the foundation).

Color wise, I have since thrown out the original packing as I scoop out the foundations and put it in my Japonesque foundation palette so I'm so sorry I can't tell you which ones I have!

Are you oily? Dry? Do you prefer a creme or would you be satisfied to use a sort of pancake makeup where its a solid powder and you get a wet sponge and apply it that way? Ben Nye has a few formulations so it's best to know you skin type.

As far as color, that's a little harder as I can't see your true undertones from a picture :/ Do you get much fairer in the winter than summer? If that's the case you might have to get some a few shades lighter than your current color.

Let me know the answers to the above questions and I'll help you to the best of my ability :)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Thank you so mush for the advice and ideas. My skin gets very dry and flaky in the winter time. The foundation idea would be terrific.
I'm pretty fair in the winter, and I get slightly peachy tan in the summer. I normally pick foundations that are too dark or too orange, so I always pick one shade lighter than what I think is my colour. I'll probably pick something from the Creme Lite, L-0.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Unfortunately this brand is hard to find for me, I really want to try the setting powders and creme wheels though. Especially the creme rouge wheel, so far 99% good reviews on it.

Creme Rouge:
http://verdictonbeauty.blogspot.com/2009/09/ben-nye-rouge-wheel.html
http://www.viewpoints.com/Ben-Nye-Creme-Rouge-Wheel-review-688f2
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/ben-nye-creme-rouge-wheel-blush
http://www.chickadvisor.com/item/ben-nye-creme-rouge.html
http://www.preciousandmakeup.org/tag/ben+nye
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ID=41417/Creme_Rouge_Wheel/Ben_Nye/Blush/
http://sonialovesmakeup.blogspot.com/2009/08/holiday-post-as-promised.html

RebeccaMUA, could you please tell me if any of their setting powders is without mica? That would be so helpful!

zendy

A-List Customer
I was just watching a classic the other night, and the makeup artist was Ben Nye(yes, I read the credits). Kinda cool that there is a product line out there carrying his name and that vintage loving gals are into it.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Goldfish said:
RebeccaMUA, could you please tell me if any of their setting powders is without mica? That would be so helpful!

I'll try and dig up my banana powder container (it's in the "refill" tub in the storage closet lol ) and see the ingredients and such.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
My mom got me the Creme Foundation in P-43 Alabaster and some powder in Translucent Fair. At first, I was trying to apply it like other cream foundations I've used and it was SOOOO cakey and pastey. A little goes a REALLY REALLY long way - less is more. I need very little to do my whole face and it looks nice and natural. I stipple the sponge over the cream, and then stipple that lightly on my face. At first it doesn't look like anything is going on, but that is just because my mommy was so awesome at matching my skin tone. I can really notice once I've done my whole face. My complexion is even but the hue still varies in a subtle and natural fashion. I haven't had any break outs from using their makeup. But I also apply it very lightly and I don't wear makeup often. I'd really like to try their concealers. Plus I bet their Pancake foundation would be great in the summer.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I'll second that the eyeshadow colors are great if you want that super high pigment look...add it to the Urban Decay Primer Potion for eyes and whoa!! Amazing color!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk