Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
It's been a while since anything was posted in this thread, but here's one. Pascal&Cie bowler hat. Size 56 with the brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 12cm. Runs somewhat small for its size, but a well made hat.
Pascal&Cie was located in the Rue du moulin in Bruxelles and that's all I can find about the maker. The inside of the sweatband has a "marque deposée" stamped on it with the letters Th. C.C.V.
It was sold by Edw. Jorgensen in Odense, Denmark. Steve @Steve1857, who found this hat, couldn't find more information about the retailer either, so it is a bit of a mystery.

pascal_01.jpg
pascal_02.jpg
pascal_03.jpg
pascal_04.jpg
pascal_05.jpg
pascal_06.jpg
pascal_07.jpg
pascal_08.jpg
pascal_09.jpg
pascal_10.jpg

Aeroleger bowler hat. Belgian made most likely, so it gets a place here. No labels under the sweat. I bought it because of the really cool looking sweatband. Size 57 with the brim at 5cm and crown 12cm. Likely made of woolfelt and at 160 grams not as lightweight as the name suggests, but maybe Belgium has some heavier air. Very nice bowler all in all, but too bad the postal services decided to use their gorilla to test the veracity of the story that you can stand on a bowler. You can, but the hat won't hold. I dented it out, but a few battle scars remain. A bit wide for me. An oldie, probably 1930's.

aeroleger_1.jpg

aeroleger_2.jpg

aeroleger_3.jpg

aeroleger_4.jpg

aeroleger_5.jpg

aeroleger_6.jpg

aeroleger_7.jpg

aeroleger_8.jpg

aeroleger_9.jpg

Couldn't find anything on the hatter, but they were probably located in this building.
rue leopold.jpg

Wangenheim

New in Town
Maybe I post this in the wrong thread, because I think this hat was only sold in Belgium. However: This is a boater that I didn't buy, but fortunately received as a gift. It has a rounded brim edge (not a saw edge). The crown measures 9,5cm. The brim is between 5,5(sides) and 6cm (front and back) wide. Hat band is frayed and 6, the sweat band 4 cm. Size 7 1/2 (british) or 58 or 5 1/2.

Inside there's some "very smart" logo with antique axes and feathers illustrated - does anybody know what this is or means? Well, I'm sure the guy who has it on his head is very smart ; )

The silk on the inside has some pattern imprinted, including three circles and verious stripes.

"Maurice" seems to me is a store (or hatmaker?) in La Louvière? I couldn't gather any information about it. But the "Extra Quality London" above makes me think it was produced in England.

The font (especially "FABRIQUÉ SPÉCIALEMENT POUR") and the illustartions seem to me as this could be a pre WW1 hat. On the other hand, this Belle Époque style was popular even in the late 20s for some products. So what do you think?

Oh, the white chalk stripe is not original ; )

IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0451.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Valensy Light Superior fedora in a nice deep brown. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the front. It is light, but not that light at 110 grams. The felt is very thin though and has a great hand. I don't see Valensy hats that often, so it was worth a try. Looking for the label under the sweatband though I heard the heartsinking sound of stitches popping. Dang! Still perfectly wearable, but a rescue mission is scheduled nonetheless. Maybe I can make out the colour name once I get the sweatband out.
On the first page of this thread some more information can be found on Valensy. The travelling soap booklet I found with the brand name on it mentions the Valensy Light as a quality, so we knew there had to be one. Very satisfying to actually find one.

valensy light_01.jpg

valensy light_02.jpg

valensy light_03.jpg

valensy light_04.jpg

valensy light_06.jpg

valensy light_07.jpg

valensy light_09.jpg

valensy light_10.jpg

valensy light_11.jpg

valensy light_12.jpg

Valensy Light Superior fedora in a nice deep brown. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the front. It is light, but not that light at 110 grams. The felt is very thin though and has a great hand. I don't see Valensy hats that often, so it was worth a try. Looking for the label under the sweatband though I heard the heartsinking sound of stitches popping. Dang! Still perfectly wearable, but a rescue mission is scheduled nonetheless. Maybe I can make out the colour name once I get the sweatband out.
On the first page of this thread some more information can be found on Valensy. The travelling soap booklet I found with the brand name on it mentions the Valensy Light as a quality, so we knew there had to be one. Very satisfying to actually find one.

valensy light_01.jpg

valensy light_02.jpg

valensy light_03.jpg

valensy light_04.jpg

valensy light_06.jpg

valensy light_07.jpg

valensy light_09.jpg

valensy light_10.jpg

valensy light_11.jpg

valensy light_12.jpg

Love this hat, Stefan. The color is great, and the delicate contrast of the ribbon and binding sets it off without looking garish. A nicely balanced hat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well put. Thank you, Brent.
He certainly has a way with words, but he's right, it is a most attractive hue. Tina woke me up this morning, she was most distressed following a disturbing dream. She's settled now and I am wide awake, so what to do? The morning newspaper, being Sunday, is full of celebrity tittle-tattle, I could never face TV first thing in the morning but come to The Lounge and this excellent thread has re-emerged. Love it. In fact I have enjoyed re-reading through it.

How amazing is it that Ascot Races are known in every part of the world? It's reading snippets like that, even though I'm not familiar with the language, that makes for such an interesting thread.

Hats aside, Stefan, I'm old enough to remember when there were only six countries in what was originally known as, The Common Market. How I travelled extensively through the Benelux countries, they didn't put up barriers, like the remaining big three.

Keep the thread running, you have a captive audience.

He certainly has a way with words, but he's right, it is a most attractive hue. Tina woke me up this morning, she was most distressed following a disturbing dream. She's settled now and I am wide awake, so what to do? The morning newspaper, being Sunday, is full of celebrity tittle-tattle, I could never face TV first thing in the morning but come to The Lounge and this excellent thread has re-emerged. Love it. In fact I have enjoyed re-reading through it.

How amazing is it that Ascot Races are known in every part of the world? It's reading snippets like that, even though I'm not familiar with the language, that makes for such an interesting thread.

Hats aside, Stefan, I'm old enough to remember when there were only six countries in what was originally known as, The Common Market. How I travelled extensively through the Benelux countries, they didn't put up barriers, like the remaining big three.

Keep the thread running, you have a captive audience.
Thank you, Robert. I'll do my best. I'm sure there are more hats either inside or outside my collection;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuvier