Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best hanger options for your leather

Novos

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I know there was a thread about a year ago with some great suggestions but with some digging I still could not find it.

What do you all do for hangers? I need about 8 or so of a decent quality/price point. I want to make sure I don't get any of those dreaded dimples/creases in the shoulders.

Any online suggestions?

Thanks!

Novos

One of the Regulars
Novos--I bought some of these earlier this year. They were recommended by someone in another thread, but I can't find it either. They are well-made and offer a wide support for the shoulders of my jackets.

http://www.hangerproject.com/

Awesome I think that was the site I was thinking of.

What size did you go for? Most of my jackets fall in the 18"-19" range for the shoulder width (size 40-42), so it looks as though I'd size down to a medium? Is that how it works?

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Ordinary wood hanger with some central heating pipe lagging cut to whatever size you wish. £2 hanger(New) and £1 for the pipe insulation :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I bought some decent quality wide hangers on eBay for a lot less than those Hanger Project ones... have a look!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Another option is to pull out your yellow pages (or online equivalent) and find an equipment supplier for retailers. They will have hangers of all sizes and shapes and cheap too (and coat/suit bags, racks, mannequins, etc). For example, here's a place in Toronto from which I buy suit hangers with wide shoulders when I need them: https://www.wmprager.com/

IXL

One Too Many
I have been using the ones from Hanger Project for several years. They sometimes put them on sale and that's when I grab another half dozen or so. For the really heavy stuff, such as a B-3, I get some HUGE plastic hangers from Aerostitch. A guy could turn one of these things over and use it as a canoe. They are several inches wide, with a graceful curve which supports the garment. The substantial steel hook even has a rubber shock absorber attached.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Aren't leather jackets meant to be just thrown on the ground?? What is this hanger thing you speak of??

I just wad mine up in a ball, throw it up on the closet shelf. You know, getting that "well worn, 50 mission" look. Don't want to look like a FNG.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I just wad mine up in a ball, throw it up on the closet shelf. You know, getting that "well worn, 50 mission" look. Don't want to look like a FNG.
FNG?

To paraphrase my own saying of "The only way to get a 30 year old looking jacket is to wear it for 30 years", as in a previous post, I really think the only way to get that 'Well worn 50 mission' look is to wear it for 50 missions!:p

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I have a Good Wear A2 and used a hanger for the first month or so after receiving it, but I got worried that the hanger might leave it misshapen (if you will) in the shoulder area. That was in the Fall of 2010. Since then, I have stored it on the top shelf of my coat closet or have hung it by the leather hang strip (or whatever it's called).

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ