Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Indy Fedora

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Now that I have time and a steady income, I am ready to splerge on a high quality hat. And THE hat I have always wanted was the Indiana Jones hat perferably the type in the Last Crusade. My Indiana Miller has served me well, but it's time to take the next step. My research has narrowed it down to what I consider the top three contenders: Peters Brothers, Adventure Built, and Herbert Johnson through Magnoli Clotheirs. Which do you feel has been the most accurate to the silver screen, has been highest quality, and most capable of handling the conditions that could be dished out by Indiana Jones himself? Which one can handle a little rain without caving in on itself to the size of a thimble?lol

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It's no contest, the Adventurebilt wins hands down on all counts, either the one made by Steve Delk or his German counterpart Marc who makes the Adventurebilt Deluxe. They are made with 100% beaver felt the others are not. Steve and Marc are absolute fanatics when it comes to detail and quality.

fedoralover

Anders

One of the Regulars
I can't speak for the other two, but I have an Adventurebilt that's a few months old. It has withstood several rainstorms admirably, and been perfectly reshapable after an unfortunate sitting incident. I wasn't very specific in my order (mostly just "make it look like indy's") but what specifics I asked for were followed to the letter. Very personable service as well.

The only downside I could see to this option is the considerable wait time. I ordered mine last August and received it in January. I recommend inquiring as to the turnover time, because for awhile I was a little concerned with my order's status.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I have to agree. The Adventurebilt is in a class of its own. The only upside to getting one of my HJs (which are blocked and finished by Steve) is the HJ name and often very little wait (I've got a full set of sizes coming in the next few days).

If you plan to really give your hat and Indy beating, wait for the Adventurebilt... otherwise, my phone lines are open. ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Not having seen an HJ's of Magnoli's, I'd have to go with Adventurebilt. I love mine! I'm familiar with the PB (great hat and great people there too). Knowing Magnoli's standards, I would imagine the HJ he will sell will blow any other HJ's outta da water. Another contender to consider is Jimmy Pierce Designs...Jimmy used to work over at PB and has shaped several of my hats. He does a fine job.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
JPD

O.K., it's possibly not on the level of an Adventurebilt, but my JPD is featured in my avatar and I've beat the crap out of it. It has been through rain, snow and even stepped on. I'm not sure I'm the best model to sell Jimmy's hats, but I've been more than pleased with the durability so far.

The wait time on these is about two months, at least on last check. As ITG says, it's worth at least checking into in case you don't want to wait 7-8 months.

Steve

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Magnoli
I have read over on COW the Herbert Johnson has a bit of a reputation for being a fair weather hat. Tapers badly when it is wet. Has Steve done anything to help with this with your hats? Inquiring minds……
Johnny

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Absolutely! Steve gives this hat the works, which includes a process by which it will be MUCH more resistant to the elements than the stock HJ. After Steve is done modifying them, they are really in a different class than what HJ is offering.

Kind regards,
Indy

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
It's no contest, the Adventurebilt wins hands down on all counts, either the one made by Steve Delk or his German counterpart Marc who makes the Adventurebilt Deluxe. They are made with 100% beaver felt the others are not. Steve and Marc are absolute fanatics when it comes to detail and quality.

fedoralover

My choice also... $225.00 if you let him him know you are a member here...It is worth the wait time to get a 100% beaver fedora from Steve Delk ...

http://www.adventurebilthats.com/

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Adventurebilt hands down! Steve makes the most accurate looking Indy hat.

He does have other colors, I have a dark charcoal gray hat that is really wonderful, I think he has had black, gray and some other colors; you would want to email him and ask him what colors he has.

The price cannot be beat for the quality, either.

karol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Most people have (and will) back the AB first. In terms of a tough but beautiful hat, it's great. I also agree with Magnoli that if you don't plan to beat on it severely, his HJ's will probably be great (I have one on the way). But, Thunderbolt expressed interest in a Last Crusade style that could take a beating (more or less). The AB's and Magnoli's are blocked with an eye toward the perfect Raiders look. I find Jimmy Pierce's Indy block to make a better Last Crusade hat, and it's available in Rabbit or Beaver felt. I love the rabbit felt, which is a notch above the felt of an Akubra Federation, without the "shag" of the Federation Deluxe.

That all said, I would back any of these three on any given day. It's really just a matter of what you want in terms of style, durability, and wait time.

NB

warbird

One Too Many
I didn't mention the Fed because he seemed to ask what is the absolute best out there. The Fed may not be the absolute best out there, but it's a damn fine hat. I love mine. It does come open crown which mean you will have to bash it yourself. If that's not your thing then you might like a JP or Adventurebilt.

The least expensive really good Indy style hat is the Akubra Fed. For about $100 it is just a fantastic hat.

But i think if you want to shell out for the best there can be had, the Delk hat may be the one. Followed up closely by the JP. My Fed goes through some punishment and I have had it only a short time, but is tough now and I have no doubt it will continue to be tough.

I have had other Akubras, in the traditional styles, and this is as well built as they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana