Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Manly Sweater

FormerDATT

New in Town
I am starting to get flooded with the annual Christmas catalog mailings. I want to buy a really nice, one time only, manly sweater for general outdoor wear. I am not looking for anything dressy. No shawlds or vests. I see the barbour halfzip for $300 in Orvis, a couple of nice pull overs in Filson. What I want is something heavy but not necessarily waterproof. There are simply too many to choose from. I must rely on mail order as I am too remote to hold and compare in a store. Any thoughts?

Edward

Bartender
Can't say I've ever actually considered how "manly" anything is in regard to wardrobe choices (except, ironically, when in drag), but for a decent, hard-wearing sweater that will do your job, I'd agree with Paddy.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I can recommend Sou'west Chunkies. http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.marrow1/

Very affordable, high quality 100% pure new wool and they make to measure. Peter goes out of his way to satisfy his customers. On his website he lists Cornish ganseys and chunky fishermen's sweaters, but there is actually more variety. For example, I had a gansey made with a roll neck. It's probably a good idea to ask if there are other colours available than those listed. I have a charcoal one with coloured flecks and one in wine red. Both colours are gorgeous but were not listed on the website.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Look here:

http://www.blacksheep.ltd.uk/knitwear.html

Handmade, heavy and super durable.

Here's my shawl collar cardigan made by blacksheep. The wool is undyed btw

4995926826_a011719541_z.jpg

4995520603_0239be731f_z.jpg

Aether

One of the Regulars
I can recommend Sou'west Chunkies. http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.marrow1/

Very affordable, high quality 100% pure new wool and they make to measure. Peter goes out of his way to satisfy his customers. On his website he lists Cornish ganseys and chunky fishermen's sweaters, but there is actually more variety. For example, I had a gansey made with a roll neck. It's probably a good idea to ask if there are other colours available than those listed. I have a charcoal one with coloured flecks and one in wine red. Both colours are gorgeous but were not listed on the website.

+1 for Sou'west Chunkies.

Peter is a lovely chap and his jumpers are great, the service couldn't really be any better either. I got my jumper made and delivered in week!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I'd go with a 'commando' sweater in olive with the cotton/canvas elbow & shoulder patches, can't get more 'manly' !
Interestingly I discovered this thread just after writing in another thread 'you can't go wrong with a Commando sweater'! As a seasoned wearer of said garment, I would say that it was the apogee of 'manliness' in the best sense, i.e. gentlemanliness not machismo. It used to be widely known as the 'Action Man sweater' for obvious reasons.
May I put in a plea for the Navy blue as well as the olive?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
+1 for Sou'west Chunkies.

Peter is a lovely chap and his jumpers are great, the service couldn't really be any better either. I got my jumper made and delivered in week!
Hear, hear to all the above. He is a lovely chap and I look forward to buying another sweater from him.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a RL sweater a few years back in a post-Christmas sale. It's a black and white striped, fuzzy, pure cashmere article. Poofy-looking? Well, yeah, but when I pair it with a black corduroy jacket, black hat and boots, and jeans it looks (IMHO) really fine. I pat myself on the back every time I wear it for my manly independence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch