Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best repro/retro patterns for vintage styles

lareine

A-List Customer
Hello all, hope you don't mind me starting this thread, but I searched in the Powder Room and couldn't find a thread on this.

What are your favourite repro/retro patterns for vintage styles? I know that the Butterick walkaway dress, which is available as a modern reproduction, is very popular. And I own three repro Vogue vintage patterns myself which I haven't tried yet but will make up at some stage.

For example:
V2903.jpg

or
B5214.jpg

What patterns do you like that can be easily bought, brand new, today?

Smuterella

One Too Many
This is the only repro I've got, and I have got as far as making a muslin of the trousers - they really aren't bad.

I do need to drop the crotch a couple of inches and perhaps make the waist band wider though for a more realistic 40's look...hmmm.

SimplicityRetro3688.jpg

I've kind of abandoned sewing for knitting lately. Its much easier to just pick up and do it.

lareine

A-List Customer
That very pattern is on its way to me! Just need to wait for it to arrive in NZ from North America...

I find it amusing to hear that somebody thinks knitting is easier than sewing to pick up and do, only because I find knitting so slow and difficult. You clearly have a talent that I don't. Give me a sewing machine any day ;)

Smuterella

One Too Many
Its more the prep each time for sewing that gets me down. all that playing with the machine and laying out the fabric etc etc. and if you go wrong its a disaster as unpicking sewing is so much fiddlier than frogging some knitting. I'm new to both though!

Bear in mind I have an extremely "helpful" cat who thinks sewing patterns that go crinkle crunkle are the most fun.

(He is in my bad books actually as last night he knocked my 30s deco lamp off the sideboard breaking the original glass shade into a million little pieces.

:mad: )

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Repro patterns I like

4211161305_90c1fcd5b8_o.jpg

Cute and doesn't use an obscene amount of material

4213141094_1a9f97cb51_o.jpg

Great fit! Ignore the models on the website.

4226166809_91e990e240_o.jpg

4226934870_cc5b1d9ffb_o.jpg

I only like the bolero on this one.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I just wrote a super long reply with links and everything and then lost it! ARG!
Basically, I've gotten so used to using vintage patterns that I tend to think that most modern repros give you more trouble than it's worth with fitting and ease- and they change the fit a lot so it's not always on par with what it was. I think it's great they're reissuing designs, but really- if you took the original and then took the modern remake, they're not the same :(
For modern remakes I second Folkwear's patterns. Every one of them I've used I've liked (ok, minus one- the Schoolmistress Blouse was awful). The fit is really close to right. They're not really historically accurate to a T but they certainly evoke that style and they've got tips on construction and details based off the originals they used that are helpful. The instructions are good. I also like Laughing Moon's patterns, but they're mostly Victoian. Still really good and makes a great end result.
Probably next up for me is Decades of Style. The fitting gets a bit wonky in some of the patterns the larger the sizing goes (more of a grading issue, I guess), but the end results of these patterns are also great and their instructions are good as they add tips here and there. Good quality packet, too.
The Vintage Pattern Lending Library, Evadress, and the Vintage Fashion Libarary are all good. VPLL gives you a ditially drawn color pattern print out, which while not necessary is really pretty. The others vary, I guess, on being hand traced or computer drawn, and they all remaster the instructions so they're clearer to read than just a photocopy of the old cover and instructions. Probably of the three Evadress is my favorite as her customer service is very good and she ships really promptly. She's also got a wider range of styles. I've only tried one of the multisize patterns from these companies, and again- the larger the size the more distorted the proportions. No biggie if you know fitting, and it certainly is easier than grading it yourself.
Past Patterns makes repros of originals and also their own patterns. I'm mixed on my reviews- the originals make up all the way they're supposed to and they've got some lovely styles (especially in 1900's to 1930s) but the packet isn't the best quality. The instructions I've had are basically just photocopies and not remastered really and the patterns are somewhat pixelated, but in the end you get the same result as the other repro companies so it's really not that big of a deal. I've had no luck with their line of historic patterns- every one i've used has had a wonky fit (they're the multisize ones on the site, not the "attic copies" or "vintage revivals"). But I've heard they've redone their pattern line and they've got a better fit now.
Basially it doesn't matter to me how shiny the package is of the vintage repros- as long as the original was by a good maker the fit usually is good. If the original was a mail order or cheaper brand (and I guess over time you just tell by the illustrations more times than not), then you've generally got to play with them more.
Don't know if that helps at all, but hope so :)

SayCici

Practically Family
I've never made up any Vogue or similar Big 4 re-issues, but I have used Past Patterns, EvaDress, VFL, and.. Wearing History! That's Lauren's repro company. :) I also have a few patterns from VPLL but haven't had the chance to sew them up yet.

Some times I've had little frustrations with repros (not Lauren's!) but ultimately it's worth it, especially if it's for an older pattern, like 30s era. I don't make very good copies but lately haven't even had the time to do so, so it's nice to be able to cut right into the heavy paper copies and get to the sewing part, without worrying about the condition of the pattern pieces or instructions.

VFL doesn't seem to have that many repros anymore, but I really like the variety of EvaDress and like Lauren said, Xandra (the owner) has really good customer service. So do VPLL and Wearing History! (I made up the pants from her sportswear pattern and I'm wearing them a couple times a week).

LadyDay also makes her own repros and sells them on Etsy, but they're plus-sized so I haven't used them!

Lottie

Familiar Face

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
SayCici said:
I've never made up any Vogue or similar Big 4 re-issues, but I have used Past Patterns, EvaDress, VFL, and.. Wearing History! That's Lauren's repro company. :) I also have a few patterns from VPLL but haven't had the chance to sew them up yet.

Some times I've had little frustrations with repros (not Lauren's!) but ultimately it's worth it, especially if it's for an older pattern, like 30s era. I don't make very good copies but lately haven't even had the time to do so, so it's nice to be able to cut right into the heavy paper copies and get to the sewing part, without worrying about the condition of the pattern pieces or instructions.

VFL doesn't seem to have that many repros anymore, but I really like the variety of EvaDress and like Lauren said, Xandra (the owner) has really good customer service. So do VPLL and Wearing History! (I made up the pants from her sportswear pattern and I'm wearing them a couple times a week).

LadyDay also makes her own repros and sells them on Etsy, but they're plus-sized so I haven't used them!

Thank you so much, Cici! I love hearing what you think :) Please send me a picture of you in the pants if you have one! I totally want to see them :D

Lottie

Familiar Face
Kate O Potato said:
Oh my gosh, Lottie! Is that you?! You're absolutely beautiful!

(Bravo on the dress, too!)
Aw, thanks :) Yupp, that's me, 1.5 years ago, when I was blonde. I actually made this dress as a part of my final school graduation project :)

SayCici

Practically Family
Lottie, it looks super good! I never really paid much attention to that dress but seeing it made up changes my mind!

lareine

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies! Lottie, that photo is just wonderful.

I haven't heard of most of the pattern brands that are listed above -- guess I've got a lot to learn in this area. Does anyone know offhand where is the best source for international shipping? If I could find one place that stocked more than one brand, it would be a lot cheaper than buying from lots of different sources. Shipping to New Zealand is usually pricey :(

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Lottie said:
The easiest (and funnest) repro pattern I've worked with so far would be the 1930s button dress by decades of style:

3007-web-pic.jpg

http://www.decadesofstyle.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=39

The instructions are detailed and nicely written, it is not all that hard to make and because of the side straps, and it fits like a dream! I didn't even have to put in the zipper :)

(if anyone's interested, here's my version of it:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Lottifant/sw2klein.jpg?t=1275593007 )

WOW Lottie!! I made this dress and it was awful looking at terribly unflattering on me -- looked NOTHING like the artwork. Yours is perfect!

I also agree -- this was EASY to make!!

RE EVADRESS: I find that EvaDress patterns are either too short or too long in the torso. I don't use them very often.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
WOW Lottie!! I made this dress and it was awful looking at terribly unflattering on me -- looked NOTHING like the artwork. Yours is perfect!

I also agree -- this was EASY to make!!

RE EVADRESS: I find that EvaDress patterns are either too short or too long in the torso. I don't use them very often.

Same, this dress required A LOT of adjustments for me to make it wearable. Still wasn't super happy with the end result!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I just had a nosey at the Vogue Vintage and Butterick Retro collections. There's a sale on at the moment, and they're all about $4.95.

You probably all knew that, right? :)

Lottie

Familiar Face
sixsexsix said:
Same, this dress required A LOT of adjustments for me to make it wearable. Still wasn't super happy with the end result!

Aw, you should be, it looks darling!

Kate:
I just noticed that too, but the shipping to europe is ridiculously expensive.. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk