Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Value for Money Piece of Clothing

A-1

One Too Many
I don't know if anything like this exists already but I'm really interested in your piece of clothing that you personally think was the best buy when it comes to value and price.
This can be something you bought at a good price but you wear it fairly often. But it can also be something very expensive that you wear on a daily basis.
For me for example it's probably this flannel shirt that I bought for 5€ on the flea market in Berlin. I was so reluctant but my wife actually talked me into buying it. It's quite warm for winter but it's also like a summer jacket on warmer days. I've come to like this very much and I wear this almost every day.

1fcdf6ebaf1a0307f73d0217b3e3bf95.jpg

So what's your best value piece?

When everything's collapsing, trust the kids!
- www.zekimin.com -

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Too many to list. While I can afford expensive items, I am frugal and something of a minimalist, paying a lot for something takes the fun out of it for me. I have a black calfskin leather jacket, hand made here in Melb, less than $20 from a thrift shop. Also I wear Dickies Eisenhower jackets, $40 simple, well made, hard wearing, decent looking.

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
While I'm a die hard Vanson Leathers guy, this Dianese Zen jacket has been my constant companion for over eight years now. At just under $300US it was a fraction of the cost of most jackets and I bought it on a lark, expecting to experiment with its perforated leather, armored sleeves and insulated liner. But it has turned out to be my year-round constant companion. On all but the hottest summer days I'll wear it half-zipped for increased airflow. Zip in the liner and its comfortable down to 40F and if it gets colder, I use an electric liner underneath. The patches were added year to year and I replaced the zipper pull with a key ring to better operate with winter gloves. Sure I'll wear a nicer jacket if I'm riding to meet friends or whatever, but of it's just me and the road I'll likely have this old friend.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
"Unbranded" 21 oz selvedge denim jeans. I only wear them during the cooler months so they can last up to 3 years. Somehow their jeans fit me better than any other Ive tried and they fade really beautifully.

Reactions: A-1

robrinay

One Too Many
A Lewis Leather Viscount jacket for £35 in a charity shop. Both labels were missing but it shouted quality and style. I later found stitching in a small oval shape on the arm so sent pics to Lewis Leathers who confirmed it was indeed a Lewis Viscount. Sadly it's a little too small for me (it's a 38"-40"), so it will be sold soon.

Reactions: A-1
I have Brooks Brothers grey herringbone tweed sport coat that I bought in either the late '80s or early '90s. I have no idea what I paid for it other than I've always been a thoughtful shopper, so my guess, at most, a couple hundred bucks back then (not cheap, but not insane).

This thing is bullet proof. At the time, it was one of two sport coats I had and I wore it all the time and everywhere: With jeans, chinos, dress pants / for casual, for dress up / in good weather and bad.

It is at least 25 years old, still looks good and, other than having the lining sewed up once (part of it unstitched about ten years ago) - and the very infrequent dry cleaning (but always letting it breath after wearing it) - I have never done a thing to it.

I wish I aged as well as this thing has. As noted, I don't really remember what I paid for it, but it doesn't matter - $100 or $400, it's all the same - as I have gotten ten times more value out of this sport coat than any other I've owned and it's still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana