Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best vintage and current "Open Road" pattern hats?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I didn't want to hijack the other "Open Road" threads. I now know the hat I queried here about more than a month ago is almost certainly an "Open Road" pattern.

I refer to the hat Ralph Bellamy, portraying Joseph W. Grant, wears in his railway car scenes in "The Professionals" (1966) that stars Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin. What confused the issue for me is that Bellamy wears his hat as a snap brim rather than as an "LBJ Special."
My Borsalinos are vintage -- that is, more than 40 years old -- because currently made Borsalinos appear to be of lower quality.

In the universe of "Open Road" pattern hats, which vintage brands and models are among the best? Which currently made brands and models are among the best? Is there as substantial a difference in quality between [best] vintage and current as occurs with Borsalinos?

Worn with conventional garb, usually including a brown aviator's jacket of one sort or another, what hat colors would be appropriate?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Surely other, more knowledgeable members, will chime in, but here are my 2 cents...

If you want a modern equivalent of the Open Road, probably your best option is the Akubra Campdraft, which is an Open Road by another name. There are many satisfied Campdraft owners here, and many threads dealing with this model.

Regards!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Naphtali said:
In the universe of "Open Road" pattern hats, which vintage brands and models are among the best? Which currently made brands and models are among the best? Is there as substantial a difference in quality between [best] vintage and current as occurs with Borsalinos?

At a car dealership:

I've got a great Ford sedan from the 40s, because I hear that the new models aren't so great. In the world of sedans, which brands are the best, both in vintage models and current ones? Is there a difference in quality between the new and vintage sedan models among other makes, as I've perceived with the Ford?

For me the modern version is the Akubra Campdraft. I've seen the Beaver Brand version & it is not near the hat the Campdraft is but is pounced more.
The vintage one is the Borsalino Alessandria before the company buy-out. That felt is awesome. JMHO
Oh yea, for me Silver Belly goes with everything!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Consider a custom...

The vendors referenced on this board, including Art Fawcett at VS Custom Hats, can make a 100% beaver Open Road style hat with any crease or brim style you want. Cost is only somewhat more than what you might pay for a high quality vintage hat, say a Stetson 25 or clear beaver. And you know for sure what you're getting and that it will fit, not always true of "vintage" hats on Ebay. I personally like the OR style, which doesn't look out of place in Wyoming among the cowboy hats. I have always worn the brim snapped down in front regardless of the crease. No rules for Open Roads.

I don't own a Campdraft. I do have an Akubra Squatter that's an excellent hat for the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats