1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Best way to repair a cracked panama?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by HatRak, May 10, 2010.

1. HatRak

HatRak Familiar Face

My beloved Borso panama is starting to show its age. Yesterday, I leaned into the car to get something and banged my hat on the door edge. The straw cracked in two places. One split is about an inch long along the crown at the back of the the hat with the straw fibers crushed at one end; the other split is about two and a half inches long along the side of the crown. Both splits meet up nicely and are almost invisible. I've done some straw hat repair in the past and have an idea about how to proceed, but I thought I'd check with the experts on the forum to see what you all thought would be the best way to approach this.

2. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

This will be easy if the cracks are well approximated. I recently repaired a crack in a Panama with fabric glue. I ended up using Beacon Adhesives brand Fabri-Tac applied to the inside of the hat.

There are so many different fabric glues out there. Just make sure whatever you use is non-acid and remains flexible when dry.

3. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

I recommend the acid-free Linen Hinging Tape used for mounting and repairing art work. The gummed back has a water activated adhesive(kind of like stamps). It provides a bit of support looks similar in texture and color and is removable and does no damage or gloppy mess. It is soft and conforms to the shape. Here is one example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gummed-Linen-Hinging-Tape-x10yd/dp/B0025TWZSO

4. HatRak

HatRak Familiar Face

I never would have thought of using that! And my wife has a roll she uses for mounting art work. I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

5. Falcon Park

Falcon Park New in Town

If that doesn't work, I wold second the motion on Fabri-Tac. It is as good a fabric glue as you can find-- very strong and long-lasting. (Shhhh, it's one of my secret weapons...)

Good luck!

6. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

I've done a couple of successful repairs/reinforcements to my pre-WWI Panama with Japanese rice paper and acid-free wheat paste.