Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bicycles & suits

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Article on Dutch bicycles in NYC

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/fashion/16CODES.html

The civilized pedigree of the Dutch bike is matched by its old-fashioned design: it comes with fenders, chain guard, generator and rack — standard, as they say in Detroit. With a bike kitted out like that, a man can wear almost anything he likes to work and not worry about getting grimy — no kamikaze messenger-wear required. Luckily, the new look of men’s wear, with its slimmed-down, sporty shapes (even in suits), is tailor-made for a bicycle commute. And since Dutch bikes are ridden upright, not hunched over, and you move at a safe, slow gait, sweating is not the issue it is when you’re careening on a road bike.

27738828.JPG

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Actually I've tried riding a bicycle while wearing a modern sport coat, and it just didn't work well due to the low, large arm holes. And this on a bike that offers a fairly upright riding position. And around here, sweating is always an issue any time after March. ;)

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
If the guy on the bike had bigger shoes, I'd swear he was a clown.

Why is it that in modern fashion shoots they always try to throw some element into the mix (in this case several) that looks totally absurd? Are they simply too unsure of themselves to play it straight anymore?

Has the world grown so cynical that everyone now feels the need to pad themselves against it? To build some sort of "out" into everything they do?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"...sweating is not the issue it is when you’re careening on a road bike..."

Does this bike have air conditioning?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I cycle to school on a daily basis and being a Brit have to wear a uniform which is similar to a suit (in shape, not in looks). I find that trousers and shirt and tie are not a problem but I don't like wearing my blazer as I hate the colour and it's too warm (even in winter). I wear a cloth bomber jacket and store my blazer on my luggage rack, then switch when I reach school.

I could imagine myself doing the same if I cycled to work in the future and was in a job wear a suit is worn. The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to wear my fedora, as I have to wear a helmet and taking a foldaway hat seems silly as there would be no point wearing it indoors.

As far as sweating is concerned I no longer have any problem with that as my bomber jacket is light enough and I'm so used to my cycle journey that it's no longer much physical effort for me.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:

I can stay reasonably comfortable while riding my bike even when the temperatures rise into the 90s (F). The problem is when I have to stop. :eek:

carldelo

One Too Many
I would advise this particular hipster-dufus to remove his gloves before venturing into Queens or the Bronx. Not to mention that chain is probably going to leave a mark on his $1370 jacket, yeesh....

27738816.JPG

donCarlos

Practically Family
Paisley said:

Yes, it´s called air flow, nothing new, you may have heard of it :)

I´d love to ride a bicycle around the city, but I´d probably get poisoned by all that smog. And I would get tired... No, thank you :)

Feraud

Bartender
carldelo said:
I would advise this particular hipster-dufus to remove his gloves before venturing into Queens or the Bronx.
27738816.JPG

I imagine this guy drinking orange mocha frappachinos and having gasoline fights with his roommates. :)

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
This is my "city" bike, though I still have to come up with a decent solution to the lack of a chain guard:

IMG_3653small.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't ridden it much, and not at all while wearing nicer clothes. I just don't have many occasions to wear cool things.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
stephen1965 said:
Nice bike Lamplight.

Thanks! Knickers are probably the simplest solution to avoiding a chainring tattoo on one's trousers. I'm considering altering some of mine to make it possible to roll the bottoms of the legs up and fasten them with a button so they won't fall down. It would be nice to have what appears to be a normal looking suit that can quickly be converted to one meant for city cycling on a modern bicycle. I think high armholes would help greatly, as would the pant leg treatment I mentioned. Dashing Tweeds has some nice ideas, but all the suits they show appear to be far too "loud" for my taste.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
stephen1965 said:
According to the Chap mag, something similar happens in San Francisco.. Anyone know?
Not that I know of.
But I sure would like to know.

BTW, Lamplight, my 'round town bike is a
Nishiki of similar vintage. Great bikes.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
Not that I know of.
But I sure would like to know.

Hi, found this which i think is the advert for the February SF Tweed run..
thursday+tweed+run.jpg

Oh hang on, here you go, there's a new website dedicated to the SF Tweed Run..
http://sftweed.com/
Apparently the next SF Tweed ride is April 30th. Give us a report if you go :)

Says that there's also a Tweed run in Chicago in May. Seems that you American's are taking up the idea with your usual vigour

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21