Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
What Brent (deadlyhandsome) said.
That is exactly my "journey" with my hats. I started off wanting to keep a low profile (not being noticed too much) with my hat. But shortly after I started wearing a hat, I wanted more brim and more crown.
Granted, you'll find your personal limits - I think it will depend on your body size/height/etc. Just don't let some preconceived idea overrule what could be a great hat for you.
(Sorry for not providing specific advice.)

nverette12

New in Town
Hi all!

Came across this old Stetson hat recently and have Done quite a bit of research about it but I'm wondering if someone on here could tell me a bit more about it! The hat is in excellent shape and the band is something I have never seen! Ideally I'd like to know the following:

- Year it was made
- Hat Style
- Rough idea if it's value (if allowed)
- Is the band original or custom, who knows?

Here's what I know as it is labeled on the hat:

- It says John B Stetson Company 3X Beaver
- It says "Shelden's Mens Wear Ottawa Kansas"
- It says XXX Stetson
- The tag says 7 3/8 Long Oval, and the back of it says United Hatters Cap & Millinery WKRS Int Union Registered
- inside the brim behind the sweatband has the number 13 written in white chalk
- the hat and band is in excellent condition aside from being a bit dirty. The band is genuine great condition leather, not sure of the metal type for the band.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0CF54E3D-4D04-4858-A695-1C15C2976D86.jpeg
    0CF54E3D-4D04-4858-A695-1C15C2976D86.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 34CCDB36-D67C-49CD-9D9E-2447AC1589D0.jpeg
    34CCDB36-D67C-49CD-9D9E-2447AC1589D0.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 320FF97F-A58B-4669-A318-7BFFD33D1153.jpeg
    320FF97F-A58B-4669-A318-7BFFD33D1153.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • 2BB665C7-3B3A-4EFA-A3E7-2B9388C141E5.jpeg
    2BB665C7-3B3A-4EFA-A3E7-2B9388C141E5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • 99BC47D3-A82F-4274-8205-711E53FA3D83.jpeg
    99BC47D3-A82F-4274-8205-711E53FA3D83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • AC25A85B-EA43-44D9-BBFC-DF3B1641E96E.jpeg
    AC25A85B-EA43-44D9-BBFC-DF3B1641E96E.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 56A71D33-B4CD-4237-88A1-908A5038573A.jpeg
    56A71D33-B4CD-4237-88A1-908A5038573A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 64
Hi all!

Came across this old Stetson hat recently and have Done quite a bit of research about it but I'm wondering if someone on here could tell me a bit more about it! The hat is in excellent shape and the band is something I have never seen! Ideally I'd like to know the following:

- Year it was made
- Hat Style
- Rough idea if it's value (if allowed)
- Is the band original or custom, who knows?

Here's what I know as it is labeled on the hat:

- It says John B Stetson Company 3X Beaver
- It says "Shelden's Mens Wear Ottawa Kansas"
- It says XXX Stetson
- The tag says 7 3/8 Long Oval, and the back of it says United Hatters Cap & Millinery WKRS Int Union Registered
- inside the brim behind the sweatband has the number 13 written in white chalk
- the hat and band is in excellent condition aside from being a bit dirty. The band is genuine great condition leather, not sure of the metal type for the band.

Thanks!

Looks 1970s. The hat band could well be aftermarket, but I’m not sure. It’s hard to say what model this was. It’s not from an era that brings better prices and the style and quality (3X) all point towards the lower price range of used fur felt hats.

Last edited:

nverette12

New in Town
Looks 1970s. The hat band could well be aftermarket, but I’m not sure. It’s hard to say what model this was. It’s not from an era that brings better prices and the style and quality (3ax) all point towards the lower price range of used fur felt hats.
Fair enough! Good information. Thank you

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have a solid black thin ribbon fedora that needs a refresh. I am going to change the ribbon to a wider, colored ribbon and I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want blue or silver. I lean toward burgundy or oxblood but a green might work...or a charcoal. Anyone have recommendations or examples to share? Thanks.

20210228_154106.jpg

I have a solid black thin ribbon fedora that needs a refresh. I am going to change the ribbon to a wider, colored ribbon and I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want blue or silver. I lean toward burgundy or oxblood but a green might work...or a charcoal. Anyone have recommendations or examples to share? Thanks.

View attachment 485367
I just made a custom hat in a dark charcoal felt. Client wanted a light brown ribbon. I had doubts but we went with a Limestone ribbon and damn it looked good...sometimes the customer is always right!!!.
CIMG0830.JPG

Just Daniel

One Too Many
What a fun question and a great first answer. I thought dark green would be super interesting of you have a coat to go with it (maybe a houndstooth pattern?), but seeing that limestone ribbon might motivate me to put one on a black hat I have!

View attachment 485367
I just made a custom hat in a dark charcoal felt. Client wanted a light brown ribbon. I had doubts but we went with a Limestone ribbon and damn it looked good...sometimes the customer is always right!!!. View attachment 485386

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So how far off is a fedora from a traditional cowboy hat? Hope this hasn't been rehashed a thousand times, but I can't find much. I feel like I'm swimming in a Stetsonian, I can't imagine if I'm wearing a 3"+ brim.
Loaded question. Most people view 2.5” brim to be a standard fedora brim and a 3” and up to be a western. Then you have an Open Road that is both City and country.
As for your Stetsonian feeling big. That’s a new hat wearing feeling. I felt my Akubra Federation to me massive until I got used to it. Now it feels small.
I remember reading one hat shop was selling lots of Open Road style hats but bashed in a Gus crease. Do you can have a western style in a fedora sized hat.
Post done pictures when you have time. Sounds interesting.
And welcome to the lounge
Johnny

Attorneyatlaw

New in Town
Fashion Gurus, I need your help.

About 5 years ago, my significant other and I sold our homes and move to a condo. I had about 70 suits and gave most to a men’s shelter. Also, I had 39 fedoras (Dobbs, Stetsons, Biltmore etc) My law partners and I dress in the circa 1940s styles. Footjoys, Atkins, Edwin Clapp shoes, etc.

Never in these skinny suits like these young people are wearing now days lol. Well I put most of the remaining suits in storage. But sap two months ago, I started wearing my suits and hats again. Most of the hats are too big ha ha ha. i got older and lost some weight. I gave all of the size 7 5/8 to bailiffs at the court. They loved them. But I have 5 Biltmore President size 7 1/4. Perfect fit. I LOVE THEM. Brim 2 1/4. Look good as heck and the ladies all compliment me. Well I went online looking for more Biltmore Presidents and cannot find any. Hat Barn went out of business and Hats in the Belfry have none.

Does anyone on this list know a seller of Biltmore President Fedoras. Pleeeeeas!!!!

CISO1969

New in Town
I followed directions found here for blocked felt,fur, wool hats like fedoras.

Used a 5 gallon white food grade bucket and lid, two smaller cans of Naptha, tongs, gloves and eye protection too.

Soaked all three hats 1. Stormy Cromer , 2. Woolrich mackinaw style plaid hunting hat, 3. Woolrich solid color Jones style wool hunting hat.

Wrung them out by hand and hung on a line to air dry after soaking 30 to 45 minutes. This was less about cleaning and more about killing any potential moth or carpet beetle eggs ... Well critter control proactive clean. I will mention all three had varying degrees of damage from minor to shotgun pattern :).

Due to nature of heavy wool, lining and ear flap in wool it was many hours to dry not the two mentioned for blocked hats. In fact the Stormy Cromer hat is dry, mackinaw is close and the Jones is still drying. Started this at about 2pm today and all stated rates of drying are as of 8pm tonight, 6 hours on. Most drying was done on a line for about 4 hours.

If anyone can tell me how to date the Woolrich caps, I bought them mainly for my collection and for reference for patterns to base any hats I may make for myself.

Cost was about $10 plus per hat for all materials used in cleaning.

Hats had been previously treated by freezing and the Stormy Cromer was also vacuumed. After drying the SC was vacuumed again and placed in a ziplock for future wear and use and to protect it.
PXL_20230209_214504172.jpg
PXL_20230209_214509138.jpg
PXL_20230209_214502335.jpg
PXL_20230209_214513553.jpg
PXL_20230209_214500246.jpg
PXL_20230209_214545946.jpg

Last edited:

Takimon

New in Town
Hi everyone! Super excited to share this find. We bought a home made in the 50s. In a hat box in the corner of our attic in a box we found this hat. I love it and want to learn more about it. Unfortunately, it's too small for my giant head. It looks like it's NOS. I see very little wear or damage. There is a bit of yellowing around the rim. Should I get this resized for my head or find a replica? Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2215.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hi and welcome. You have found a very nice hat. Mallory's are very nice quality vintage hats. Yours dates to after the Stetson company bought out Mallory.

If you want to learn a lot more about Mallory, go to this thread -> https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-mallory-mile.41370/

What size is the hat? What size hat do you wear? Resizing a vintage hat is possible, but can distort the proportions of the hat and possibly damage the leather sweatband.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Also, I see from looking closer at the photos that the stitching at the sweatband joint has come apart. If just the thread has broken and the leather was not ripped, it could be sewn shut again.

Takimon

New in Town
Thank you so much for the info. The hat is 7 1/8. and I'm a 7 3/4. It looks like just the thread is broken. Can you tell if this is beaver or wool? I don't know anything about hats. What would be a fair price to ask? Any businesses out there that I could trade for a hat that fits? Would you resize this hat? I feel like finding it in my home gives me an attachment to it and I'd like to keep it if possible. Also, what style is this shape called?

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Resizing a hat that much is really out of the question. So, you could keep the hat around for display if you are attached to it. Or you could sell it here in the classifieds or on ebay. I won't give you a price estimate, but will tell you that the larger the size, usually the larger the price. 7 1/8 for me (again this is just my opinion) is a tougher size to sell than the larger sizes. It is a quality brand and a beautiful hat. Someone with decent sewing skills could resew the sweatband seam.

Now, trying to get a similar vintage hat in your size is a much higher dollar investment and just harder to find in general.

The shape is typically referred to as a fedora. It is a soft fur felt (mostly or all rabbit, possibly some beaver blend) hat.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info. The hat is 7 1/8. and I'm a 7 3/4. It looks like just the thread is broken. Can you tell if this is beaver or wool? I don't know anything about hats. What would be a fair price to ask? Any businesses out there that I could trade for a hat that fits? Would you resize this hat? I feel like finding it in my home gives me an attachment to it and I'd like to keep it if possible. Also, what style is this shape called?

You can go years and not find a true vintage fedora in 7 ¾ that is comparable to your Mallory. Vintage hats in that/our size are very hard to find.

The smaller size and the minor condition issues make me suspect you would be better keeping the hat for sentimental reasons rather than selling it. You simply can’t resize this hat to a size 7 ¾, there just isn’t enough felt there to allow this.

Stratowhiner

New in Town
Hey gang! First time poster, long time lurker. Just checking in for some assistance in locating a premium brand version of a Keith James "King" wool fashion fedora. Ignore the colours - I'm trying to find that style in a brand with heritage and premium materials.
Thanks a lot for your time!
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 8.30.44 PM.png

Stratowhiner

New in Town
Hey gang! I've had my eye on a Strat for a while and finally a silver belly in my size is available. Thing is, I'm more of a brim up kinda guy. Does anyone have pics of theirs with the brim up? Google image search doesn't yield much beyond a few product shots from Stetson themselves, or youtube thumbnails.
Thanks a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko