Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK Duke in Liberty Seal

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
BK Duke in Liberty Seal HH arrived this week. Overall pretty happy with it. Their stock size 44 couldn't fit me better if it was tailored.

There are a couple of minor stitching irregularities, but that seems to be par for the course with leather jackets. I've owned a BK previously , a LW, 2 Thedis ,3 Vansons, 3 Pegasuses, and an Eastman, and only the LW and one of the Vansons didn't have any irregularities that I could spot when looking for them. The stitching on this one is in the same general league as the remainder. Not as nice as my OCD wishes it was, but definitely acceptable based on other jackets in this niche I've owned.

I had heard mixed reports on the Liberty hide, but so far so good. It's like a Hershey chocolate brown, and day 3 of wearing it, doesn't seem to be wearing ridiculously fast. Have some nice creasing taking place already though. I'm the guy who sold TMitchell his Victory HH Duke, and I've often regretted parting with it, but I am definitely cool with this Liberty example taking its place in my collection.

Went with the black drill lining with an interior pocket on each side. Lining and pockets are done well.

Not much else to say. Pardon my lousey photography I guess? Figured I'd share my impressions on this one because of the enjoyment I've gotten from other members' reviews. IMG_20200207_174514~2.jpg IMG_20200207_174555~2.jpg IMG_20200207_174253~2.jpg IMG_20200207_174402~2.jpg

Last edited:

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
The jacket looks very nice, I like it! What’s your opinion of how does this Liberty HH beaut feel in comparison with Thedi’s Buffalo hide and BK Victory HH which both you owned before? What’s your first impression with this Liberty? Could you tell more detailed info about that please? On the photos this very new beaut looks really nice.

Last edited:

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
First impressions of the Liberty hide:
Stiffer than the Victory. Not comp Vanson or LW stiff, but the Victory I remember having a bit softer of a drape than this Liberty jacket, even when it was right out of the box. In terms of weight and stiffness, it reminds me of Vanson's Firenze, although I have a hunch it's going to show a lot more character and sooner than Firenze would. It's maybe a smidge lighter than the Buffalo Thedis I owned, but it's been so long since I parted with those and I owned them for so short a time that I could be wrong.

The espresso Buffalo Thedis had a bit more variation in color over the entire jacket. The edges of the lapels and along the seams would be darker in spots, and even oil from my fingers would effect the color slightly. The color of the Liberty hide is pretty uniform in comparison. Both are nice, but the Thedi leather brand new is definitely a bit more visually interesting.

The Thedis I had were both the Hector model, which is based off the same historical jacket as the Duke. It'd be interesting to do a side by side comparison. I feel like overall quality of manufacture is pretty similar. The Thedi has a few more bells and whistles though, which might account for part of why they were more expensive.

The BK is fairly no frills. I have no close up photos in my first post, but you're not really missing anything. In contrast, the Thedis had a lot of little details. Decorative rows of top stitching on the back/underside of the collar, corduroy on the neck facing and inside the cuffs and hand warmer pockets, metal holes and prongs for the side belt adjustments, and fancier leather facings with zippers at the tops of the interior pockets. Fancier pocket snap and zipper pulls, slightly beefier main zipper.

The corduroy was nice, but for wearing while on my motorcycle, I think it may have ended up being uncomfortably warm during warmer motorcycle weather. When I ordered the BK, I had just gotten a refund for a Pegasus that was made with the wrong leather. Almost ordered a Thedi again, but BK was having a 15 percent off sale, which combined with the lower starting price, was enough to make me go with the BK. I would be happy with either manufacturer's jacket though.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
First impressions of the Liberty hide:
Stiffer than the Victory. Not comp Vanson or LW stiff, but the Victory I remember having a bit softer of a drape than this Liberty jacket, even when it was right out of the box. In terms of weight and stiffness, it reminds me of Vanson's Firenze, although I have a hunch it's going to show a lot more character and sooner than Firenze would. It's maybe a smidge lighter than the Buffalo Thedis I owned, but it's been so long since I parted with those and I owned them for so short a time that I could be wrong.

The espresso Buffalo Thedis had a bit more variation in color over the entire jacket. The edges of the lapels and along the seams would be darker in spots, and even oil from my fingers would effect the color slightly. The color of the Liberty hide is pretty uniform in comparison. Both are nice, but the Thedi leather brand new is definitely a bit more visually interesting.

The Thedis I had were both the Hector model, which is based off the same historical jacket as the Duke. It'd be interesting to do a side by side comparison. I feel like overall quality of manufacture is pretty similar. The Thedi has a few more bells and whistles though, which might account for part of why they were more expensive.

The BK is fairly no frills. I have no close up photos in my first post, but you're not really missing anything. In contrast, the Thedis had a lot of little details. Decorative rows of top stitching on the back/underside of the collar, corduroy on the neck facing and inside the cuffs and hand warmer pockets, metal holes and prongs for the side belt adjustments, and fancier leather facings with zippers at the tops of the interior pockets. Fancier pocket snap and zipper pulls, slightly beefier main zipper.

The corduroy was nice, but for wearing while on my motorcycle, I think it may have ended up being uncomfortably warm during warmer motorcycle weather. When I ordered the BK, I had just gotten a refund for a Pegasus that was made with the wrong leather. Almost ordered a Thedi again, but BK was having a 15 percent off sale, which combined with the lower starting price, was enough to make me go with the BK. I would be happy with either manufacturer's jacket though.
Thank you very much indeed for such detailed and helpful comparative review! Being huge fan of BK was interested to read your first impression of this beaut. Am sure it's going to look even more and more interesting with the time being of wear. Congrats with the nice purchase!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ