Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black goatskin maxwell

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is my lastest acquisition with my usual mediocre IPhone 4S pictures: a black goatskin Maxwell. I originally intended to go with either black MWHH or FQHH, but when I came up in the queue, Aero had just received a shipment of high grade black goatskin, so ... :D

Several months ago, I had bought a seal brown MWHH Mulligan. The only essential difference between the Mulligan and Maxwell is the Mulligan has lower flap pockets whereas the Maxwell has slash handwarmer pockets. Both jackets are 42 (long). The Mulligan has a 27" back length; I decided to go with a 26.5" back length for the Maxwell.

The goatskin Maxwell drapes extremely well, is very comfortable to wear, and should break in very quickly. For whatever reason the 1930's slim fit in size 42 seems to fit my particular stick like frame better than any of the utility jackets.

Maxwell on the left and Mulligan on the right:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
That looks great Fanch. Love the Maxwell. Do you find the MWHH and the goatskin to be roughly equal in weight/thickness?

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Outstanding. The goat looks like its already broken in and comfortable. That is the only color i would get in goat. Congrats.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Super nice!! Which do you prefer, design-wise? I keep going back and forth on the pocket flaps and the patch pockets on the Mulligan and the stark simplicity of the slash, hand-warmer pockets on the Maxwell.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That looks great Fanch. Love the Maxwell. Do you find the MWHH and the goatskin to be roughly equal in weight/thickness?

The MWHH and goatskin are both substantially thick, although the MHHH might be just a tad heavier that the goat, as I have the impression that the MWHH might be more dense than the goat. Unfortunately I don't have scales to make a definitive statement one way or the other. The MWHH seems a bit stiffer than the goat.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Super nice!! Which do you prefer, design-wise? I keep going back and forth on the pocket flaps and the patch pockets on the Mulligan and the stark simplicity of the slash, hand-warmer pockets on the Maxwell.

Honestly said, I don't really prefer one over the other, which is no doubt why I have both. :D I am one of the few who doesn't care for breast pockets, as seen in my last picture.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Gotta love goatskin. Nice jacket!

I agree regarding the weight. Goat is lighter and more supple. I do hope the MWHH will get as comfortable when broken in. For now it is much stiffer and considerably less comfortable.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic jacket, Mr F. That black goat is the cat's whiskers, it's really hard to do it justice in the pic but it's got a beautiful luster and pebbling. I saw a version of Rudie's jacket made out of it, and it really suits that style.

schitzo

Suspended
Crikey Fanch another good one! This time I am especially interested in the hide. As I recall, this ever expanding staple of yours comprises also a pioneer in the seal goat, correct? In which case, please tell us how the 2 goatskins compare? Are they equally thick and comfortable or are there some noticeable differences? Also I wonder, do you know if they were tanned the same way?

I can see it's a goodie, but as you rightly point out, your iphone isn't doing it any faours. So if you should have time later on and if the Missus is in an obliging mood, i think it wouldn't do this thread any harm at all if you could see your way to getting the real camera out and onto the case

All the best
Schitz

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Another triumph, Fanch. Now you've got the sizing sorted out, these jackets all look great on you. I'm very tempted by the Maxwell now, as I prefer button jackets. I thought I had enough jackets, but maybe not.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Crikey Fanch another good one! This time I am especially interested in the hide. As I recall, this ever expanding staple of yours comprises also a pioneer in the seal goat, correct? In which case, please tell us how the 2 goatskins compare? Are they equally thick and comfortable or are there some noticeable differences? Also I wonder, do you know if they were tanned the same way?

I can see it's a goodie, but as you rightly point out, your iphone isn't doing it any faours. So if you should have time later on and if the Missus is in an obliging mood, i think it wouldn't do this thread any harm at all if you could see your way to getting the real camera out and onto the case

All the best
Schitz

Schitz, you are quite right in saying that my IPhone is doing me no favors :eeek: and will try to post some better pictures soon. The black goatskin from which my Maxwell was made and the seal brown goatskin (Pioneer) are similar in thickness, texture, and flexibility. Both jackets are very comfortable to wear. Based on the 1930's slim fit design, the Maxwell is more of a form fitting jacket with longer front than back, whereas the Pioneer is, I think, more similar to the 1950's HB design that is more or less the same front and back, maybe slightly longer in the back than front. Also, the Maxwell is buttoned and the Pioneer zipped. So, a bit difficult to compare the two but think I prefer the way my Maxwell and Mulligan fit over the Pioneer. Hope this helps.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Another triumph, Fanch. Now you've got the sizing sorted out, these jackets all look great on you. I'm very tempted by the Maxwell now, as I prefer button jackets. I thought I had enough jackets, but maybe not.

WDW just buying a Maxwell will not be enough; you also need a Mulligan. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket Fanch ole bean. I'm a zipper cat but all these good lookin' button fronts are really startin' to make me think... And I've reached my jacket quota since I've a Goodwear comin' later this year.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui