Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Suits?

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Mates, I have a bead on a gorgeous double breasted suit. I bought one just like it in medium grey. This one is black. What do you all think of black suits? What was their level of acceptance in the Golden Era for non-evening wear?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't speak to the golden era part, but I do have a black, three-piece suit that I wear often. I like the look, and I primarily will wear the suit for the following reasons/occasions:

1) Funeral

2) Evenings at a nice restaurant or social gathering

3) When I want to intimidate the crap out of someone at work (believe me, a black suit works real good for this) :)

dakotanorth

Practically Family
I have one, mid 40's I think- it's actually the one I'm wearing in my avatar! I don't know how common or popular they were though. Black seemed to become popular in the 60's for striking effect, then the 80's 90's for "Easy to match" outfits.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Lawman said:
Mates, I have a bead on a gorgeous double breasted suit. I bought one just like it in medium grey. This one is black. What do you all think of black suits? What was their level of acceptance in the Golden Era for non-evening wear?

Let's be honest, if the suit fits you then by all means wear it! That said, I'm not quite sure how common it was, but for what it's worth I have a 4 pc (vest and two pairs of pants) suit from the 40's...And no, its not a tux.

Lawman said:
What do you all think of black suits? What was their level of acceptance in the Golden Era for non-evening wear?

From my past conversations with a few of the "old salts" on the Street (and yes, my only real source are stories from old Jewish rag sellers!), black suits were not uncommon, but there was a particular rule about wearing them. Whereas now you can get away with a black suit at pretty much any more formal or business occasion, back when you'd only wear black in the evening, at religious services (funerals, etc.) or if you were the help.

According to his son, one clothier in particular, who opened on King St. back in the '20s, and ran his store until he died back in 1986, only carried a handful of dressy black suits, and flatly (and vehemently!) refused to carry black trousers, saying that "a real gentleman wouldn't think of wearing them" and that only one who was "in service" would ever wear black trousers.

Maybe there is a rule about it, and I'll get to looking, but I don't think it was an unacceptable thing. Personally, a black suit is a core item.

Feraud said:
Black suits are great! Especially at night.
Indeed.
Tomasso said:
Solid black flannel suit with a white shirt, silver silk knit tie (pointy end) and black suede wingtips. :cool:
Oh, no, the trick is to go with a black shirt and black tie--you can be seen indoors, and vanish once you clear the door and the crowd.

Maybe that's just me as a fan of "stealth", though.

Big Man, you called it on use #3, but it really works best with someone your size. Even huge frame relative to height, black suit and full Reapertude only do so much when you're a sawed-off runt like me...:(

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I come across vintage black suits now and again...but by far the majority that I've seen are navy blue, brown (both dark and light) and gray (both light and dark).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
CharlestonBows said:
Whereas now you can get away with a black suit at pretty much any more formal or business occasion, back when you'd only wear black in the evening, at religious services (funerals, etc.) or if you were the help.
As a music contractor/saxophonist, I am frequently both out in the evening and part of "the help." Thus I have several black suits (currently three, all SB 3B).

There's also a "cabaret black" uniform of all black, suit, shirt and tie. The idea of this is to deflect attention. It reinforces the idea that the singer is the star and you are just backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112